R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 BMW R1200GSA. It has stock fog lights. I'm looking for one spot light for distance and one flood light for side ditch width. (deer). Looking for medium quality around $300.00 price range. Hopefully someone has experience on a good reference to company. Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm no light snob and refuse to spend hndreds of dollars on aux lights. I have 3 R1200GS's

2005 - 2 x 4 Traveller sports from Tractor supply $32,00
2006 - 3" Traveller 3" cubes from Tractor Supply $54.00 (now $74)
2007 - 3" Rigid GS with Rigid 3" cubes $112.00 (came with the bike. I wouldn't even spend $100 on lights)

I did have a set of $30 3" cubes from Amazon the 05 GS and recently changed them out after being flawless for 9 months because I was tired of seeing all 3 bikes with 3" cubes.

What I found is the $30 Amazon 6 cell lights provided the best brightest and broadest light out of all the above. The Traveller and Rigid 3 cubes were both 4 cell and tied for second providing equal light but not as much as the less expensive 6 cell. The 2 x 4 spots I just installed are more to be seen during the day. I like the looks and they are bright but they are spot lights and I'm finding I prefer flood lights better. Spots provide too narrow of a light pattern for me

I also bough a set of 2 x 4 side shooter lights that i'm making a wiring harness for with dual toggles so I can operate the white lights independently from the amber lights.

YMMV

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have a 2009 BMW R1200GSA. It has stock fog lights. I'm looking for one spot light for distance and one flood light for side ditch width. (deer). Looking for medium quality around $300.00 price range. Hopefully someone has experience on a good reference to company. Thanks.
You will be "Spot"on with a pair of Baja Designs Squadron Pros
Amazing light.....liked it better than the ultrawhite light of the clearwater, but the color is personal preference.
Baja is slightly yellow, I love em

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm shopping for new fogs too. Stock housings are crap and not repairing a third time. Refuse to spend $40 a piece for replacements.

I'm looking at these, as I like the round look over square. Thinking I'll wire the halos to switched power (assuming I can find an easy place to tie it in) and the spots to the light switch. For now want a break from working on the GS so zip ties for a while on the stock ones...classy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm shopping for new fogs too. Stock housings are crap and not repairing a third time. Refuse to spend $40 a piece for replacements.

I'm looking at these, as I like the round look over square. Thinking I'll wire the halos to switched power (assuming I can find an easy place to tie it in) and the spots to the light switch. For now want a break from working on the GS so zip ties for a while on the stock ones...classy.
At that price it would incredible they would work well. It is worth a try for sure!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Not shopping, but I think those look good. Just FYI, I've had a pair of motolights for years on 3 bikes. They've worked well and are solidly built. I bought a couple of Home depot LEDs to replace the incandescents they came with and instead of the hefty price tag for the OEM Motolight LEDs---they've worked flawlessly.
that said, I think if I were in the market, those amazons linked look pretty good and worth the price risk.
FWIW I did add an on off switch for mine. Got it from Ebay complete with a tell tale light for $7 IIRC...works fine though I always leave them on.

Look on youtube for people who have added accessory lighting to a GS, using amazon or ebay lighting. There are at least a couple of videos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is not just the quality of light that is important, beam design and light spectrum are very important. People have a tendancy to go for 6 to 7000 Kelvin lights but the human eye sees best at 4200-5000Kelvin. Original equip on cars is 4500 to 5000K. We need some yellow in the light for best vision. Hunters use yellow tint glasses for this reason. Its the same reason fogs are yellow. Most companies that sell lights are 6000K. Baja Design uses 5,000K. If you want to see deer don't go above 5000K. As the light gets bluer (higher Kelvin) what you see appears a little out of focus. It has to do with how the eye focuses the different light waves - another reason to stick with lower K. Thats why some sun glasses are sold as "blue blockers".

·
Registered
297 Posts
Agree on yellow being best, I think the contrast helps you be seen too. Unfortunately not finding styles I like in yellow yet, most seem to be in a square configuration.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Agree on yellow being best, I think the contrast helps you be seen too. Unfortunately not finding styles I like in yellow yet, most seem to be in a square configuration.
@Krons Baja design does make round models too......
I upgraded from Squadron Pros to XL80s......

·
Registered
26 Posts
Take a look at Rigid Industries. For 11$ you can get lens covers in amber that snap on for color and lens protection. The lights are very effective at a reasonable cost

·
Registered
21 Posts
I fitted additional 4000 lumens lights 2x on top of the original location and 2x below with orange covers for 2 of the 4 lights and as always get trucks flashing me on the oncoming traffic but that’s OK COZ I know they can see me and I can see FAR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts