R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've always noticed the front tire sound is "funneled" directly up through the tunnel in the body work. I've though that if I stuffed some foam rubber or such around the front forks it would block the sound from reaching the rider. The older BMW RT models had rubber boots that sealed the fork opening between the front tire and the fairing. Something like this would stop a lot of the sound transmission.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I removed the tie-wraps today - tire sounds are great again! O-rings rule! I also confirmed that you can test your wheels easily. I removed all o-rings and hit my tire with a screwdriver handle. Without the o-rings, the spokes ring clearly. With the o-rings, they are much quieter. The measured sound level of spokes was reduced 12db. That’s is a reduction in acoustic power of ~15x. I have more o-rings if anyone local want to try it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Watching "Long Way Down" and in episode one or two, Ewan is shown putting zip locks around the crossed spokes. I think he says something about it being recommended by BMW, but doesn't elaborate as to why...

I have both cast and spoked wheels for my 07 GS. I have Heidenau Scouts on both front wheels. I get a pronounced HOWL (scream!) at 90 to 120+ km/h but only on some tarmac surfaces. Frequency does not seem to change with speed, but volume does. I haven't figured out which surfaces trigger it. It can be extremely loud on one road, turn the corner and nothing. It is consistent in that the next day I get the same result.
Given the Heidenaus are a common element, I have assumed they're the culprit. I am looking for some 90-10's to mount on the cast wheels for use on-road. I'm hoping the switch resolves the howl.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Watching "Long Way Down" and in episode one or two, Ewan is shown putting zip locks around the crossed spokes. I think he says something about it being recommended by BMW, but doesn't elaborate as to why...

I have both cast and spoked wheels for my 07 GS. I have Heidenau Scouts on both front wheels. I get a pronounced HOWL (scream!) at 90 to 120+ km/h but only on some tarmac surfaces. Frequency does not seem to change with speed, but volume does. I haven't figured out which surfaces trigger it. It can be extremely loud on one road, turn the corner and nothing. It is consistent in that the next day I get the same result.
Given the Heidenaus are a common element, I have assumed they're the culprit. I am looking for some 90-10's to mount on the cast wheels for use on-road. I'm hoping the switch resolves the howl.
people often tie spokes together in case they break. It keeps the broken spokes from getting caught inothe things, like brake calipers…. That’s probably why they did it.

Do you get the same sound out of both front tires? Or is there.difference between cast and spoked wheels? Tires have resonant behavior,that might be triggered by that particular road. If it’s only heard with the spoke wheels, I would try the o-rings. If you were looking for road-only tires, I would recommend Michelin Road 5 Trails, based on lots of favorable reviews. I wanted more trail capability, so I’m running Dunlop Mutants. They are great on road (wet or dry), and good on dry trails. They don’t seem tough enough for sharp rocky trails, though. They make a little noise at 40-50 mph, but it’s not objectionable (as long I have the o-rings in the spokes). Without the o-rings, I can’t stand it…. I had the same awful sound with Anakee III’s (worst) and Dunlop Missions (got worse with age. I’m sure the o-rings would make theMissions work well. I’m not sure how much it would help the Anakees…

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get the noise from essentially the same tire (Heidenau Scout, each with about 40 to 50% wear) - one on a cast wheel, the other on a spoked wheel. From that I'm guessing it's the tires and not the wheels. Note too that the wheels have their own bearings and brake rotors, so that should eliminate those components as possible sources.

I'm not trying to bad mouth the Heidenaus. Overall they seem good on & off road. I'm just relating that I have essentially the same howling with the cast and the spoked wheel.

Good point about the zip-locks and broken spokes. Thanks.

·
Registered
BMW R1250GSA
2 Posts
Greetings all, I picked up this thread and found a "cockpit cover" from Wunderlich-America. They are on backorder but submitted my order to get on the list to receive one. When I get it installed I will update this thread. Here is the link to Wunderlich-

I also installed the o-rings that IntoGS discussed and I also cut out a piece of 1" foam that fits into the tunnel and has channels for the forks to travel. On my next ride, I will get everyone an update to these mods.

Talk to ya soon!!

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
467 Posts
No cockpit cover will help that much on the noise metter. In my case, Michelin Road 6 tires solved the problem completely. My bike is 2021 GS and came from the factory with Michelin Anakee's. So, in my case, the noise was 100% coming from the front tire pattern.
Solved for good now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
No cockpit cover will help that much on the noise metter. In my case, Michelin Road 6 tires solved the problem completely. My bike is 2021 GS and came from the factory with Michelin Anakee's. So, in my case, the noise was 100% coming from the front tire pattern.
Solved for good now.
Bosnjo: It's clear that the wheels will be quieter when using street tires that don't make their own noise, or excite the spokes, but some people want a more aggressive tread for dual-sporting. My Dunlop Mutants are much quieter than the Anakee III or even the Dunlop Mission. I do, however, hear different noise levels when traveling on some rougher paved roads. I'm curious if you ever get noise on rough pavement with the Road 6.

I did finally get a set of cast alloy wheels to compare. One of them needs a bit of cosmetic work before I put shoes on. My plan is to run the same Dunlop Missions, to compare if wheels make as much difference as I expect. Ultimately, I plan to run street tires on the cast wheels, and something dirt friendly on the spokes (with the expected noise...).

I also look forward to see if Scrappd has good results with o-rings. Is there a difference when you tap the spokes with a screwdriver handle? This test showed a dramatic difference on my bike.

·
Registered
BMW R1250GSA
2 Posts
The verdict is in and the o-rings and the Wunderlich cockpit cover did has some dampening of the road noise, but the Anakee Wild's just make so much noise. It's fairly quiet up until around 40-45 when the howl of the tires start to kick in. At first I went to the local high school parking lot to review some of the riding techniques I learned from the BMW Rider Academy class I took last week. After that I took the bike up on the highway and stretched her legs a bit. I pulled over and put in my Alpine MotoSafe ear plugs for the rest of the ride because of the howl of the tires.

Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The verdict is in and the o-rings and the Wunderlich cockpit cover did has some dampening of the road noise, but the Anakee Wild's just make so much noise. It's fairly quiet up until around 40-45 when the howl of the tires start to kick in. At first I went to the local high school parking lot to review some of the riding techniques I learned from the BMW Rider Academy class I took last week. After that I took the bike up on the highway and stretched her legs a bit. I pulled over and put in my Alpine MotoSafe ear plugs for the rest of the ride because of the howl of the tires.

Good luck everyone!
Glad to hear it helped a bit, but knobby tires are a tough challenge. I'm cleaning up the cast wheels I got for street tires. I hope to get them installed in the next couple weeks. I expect that to be a quiet combination for long trips and regular commuting. It will be pain to change wheels for different trips, but way easier than changing tires.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts