R1200GS Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I put about a 2k miles on my Trailmax and so far they did pretty well, went on gravel roads, ruts, including inclines and declines (Hwy 105 in NC) then raced down 181...they did pretty well but they will start to wobble on you at high speeds (Lower triple digits) the Anekee seemed better at higher speeds and in turns on pavement. The front still makes noise but it is different then what the Anekee Adventures make. I wore out my Anekee Adventure tires at 4000 miles, Rear...front still had some life though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
have 1K miles on my GSA with the new Trailmax and I like them
They feel different at slow turns but planted all the time
dirt roads wet roads
dry roads they stick like a street tire

·
Super Moderator
736 Posts
I've just returned from a 2,500 mile, mostly road trip from Annapolis to Fort Kent Maine and back. So I now have about 3,000 miles on them in dry and wet pavement and on unpaved forest roads that went from groomed gravel to soft deep sand or gravel to some gnarlier rutted up and rocky sections. These tires are getting the job done for me. They are planted on a twisty road with excellent tip in and grip and they work reasonably well off the pavement. Maybe not quite the grip I'd get with the TKC80 or Wilds but still very confidence inspiring and I never had any surprises on this trip. I'm sold on them for now and we'll just wait and see how long they last. These are exactly the type of tire I was looking for in that they don't restrict any riding I do and yet are quiet and smooth on the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I now have 5K miles on the trailmax missions 2019GSA . They work great in all conditions so far.
wear is slight.
My anakee adventures were toast at 3500
No reak mud or sand but great on the dirt and street wet or dry

·
Registered
820 Posts
I now have 5K miles on the trailmax missions 2019GSA . They work great in all conditions so far.
wear is slight.
My anakee adventures were toast at 3500
No reak mud or sand but great on the dirt and street wet or dry
That is good to hear. My rear Shinko lasts about 5-6k and those are kilometers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just did my first 100 miles on the Trailmax Mission tire. My first "50:50" tire and bias ply construction (pretty new to this bike and adventure bikes in general), so was curious what I would find. I can only offer some very initial impressions.

I found them to be generally quiet, except for a bit of humming when braking. No real vibration until around 65 mph where I would get just a bit of feedback through the handlebars and footpegs, but it seemed that going above 75 mph kind of tempered that. When there was any hint of vibration, I can't say the tires got any louder though and I rode without earplugs so I could get a sense.

The biggest thing I could comment on, at least in my opinion, is just how ready and wanting these tires are to tip or roll in into turns. It almost took me by surprise the first few times! I think it will take a few more rides to get better attuned to this quality and they may square off a bit over time, but seems like you can really just flick the bike around on pavement. I admit that I didn't go too hard through turns yet, being as the tires were new and the type new to me, but thought they gripped real nice. Had some stretches of grooved concrete and they didn't waiver. When I got to taking them on the home stretch of several miles of packed, loose, soft and washed out gravel and shale roads, they were night and day compared to the Tourance Nexts that came on the bike. I would like to see how they hold up in rain.

Seems they might not be a pure 50:50 tire from comments by those those more seasoned in adventure biking, but whatever the breakdown is, it initially appears that it will nicely suit my needs at the moment. Also, my Tourances were pretty well shot around 3,500 miles and I am hoping these will go further. If looks the stout looks indicate anything, these appear like they will.

Lastly, the feedback others gave about these tires was very helpful, as it informed my decision when finally deciding to go with these. I hope the good first impressions will hold up over the long run. We'll see...........

·
Registered
35 Posts
1,000 mile update:

Gotten used to the feel of them and have looked to push them more and more on every ride. So far so good. I like them!

The only thing I notice that is different than the more street oriented tires I had before, is that I feel a touch of vibration when I use the rear brake only on the street. I assume this is just the nature of the tread on these (again, only ever had more street oriented tires before). But then I thought maybe I need to check my rear rotor? Anyone else get a bit of feedback when using rear brake only? I have been working on brake slides from time to time, but don't think I would be heating the rotor up that much to warp it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Otherwise, really pleased with having purchased these a 1,000 miles later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got back from an 8-day, 2500+ mile trip to Colorado, starting out on a relatively fresh set of the Trailmax Missions. As mentioned previously, these tires definitely feel eager to drop into corners, and in my opinion aren't quite as easy to hold a straight line with around the corner compared to a 90/10. Nothing disheartening, but it did take a little getting used to. Overall I definitely like the tires. They were confidence inspiring on forestry roads, and I was pleasantly surprised how little pucker factor was required on some of the roads that were freshly graded.

Unfortunately mid way through my trip, my rear tire got sliced, beyond plugging, so I had to have it replaced, and not really wanting to mix bias and radial tires limited my choices. Since I was on vacation, I didn't want to waste even more time waiting for a replacement TM, so I ended up replacing it with the Heidenau K60 Scout. Handling didn't seem to change that much, although it does make a bit more noise than the TM (although with earplugs I really couldn't tell much difference). The front seems to barely show signs of wear after the trip, so that's promising, and unless my new K60 ends up lasting as long as my TM front, I'll probably put a TM back on the rear when the time comes.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
155 Posts
I just mounted a set of these today (replaced my Anakee Wilds). The tire says max load at 41 PSI. What pressures are you folks running at on these tires?

·
Super Moderator
736 Posts
Another 3,000 miles on my set of these tires. It was all road trip and a lot of it was an energetic high speed romp on those long concrete highways across central Florida coming back from Key West. Aside from just being squared off a bit from all those upright highway miles, they've got a ton of tread life left in them. I never get more than about 6 - 7,000 miles out of a rear and often much less (yes, I'm an old graybeard hooligan) so these tires continue to show me that they are imbued with some kind of magical incantation that defies any tire experience I've ever had.

Excellent and predictable grip on and off road, wet or dry. Decent grip in the dirt, soft sand, and gnarly rock gardens. And best yet for what is sold as a 50/50 tire, no noise or vibration and long life. Yes, they are quite expensive but less so if they'll go long miles.

With 6,500 miles on the rear:

·
Super Moderator
641 Posts
Another 3,000 miles on my set of these tires. It was all road trip and a lot of it was an energetic high speed romp on those long concrete highways across central Florida coming back from Key West. Aside from just being squared off a bit from all those upright highway miles, they've got a ton of tread life left in them. I never get more than about 6 - 7,000 miles out of a rear and often much less (yes, I'm an old graybeard hooligan) so these tires continue to show me that they are imbued with some kind of magical incantation that defies any tire experience I've ever had.

Excellent and predictable grip on and off road, wet or dry. Decent grip in the dirt, soft sand, and gnarly rock gardens. And best yet for what is sold as a 50/50 tire, no noise or vibration and long life. Yes, they are quite expensive but less so if they'll go long miles.

With 6,500 miles on the rear:
Even for a frugal guy like me that is a good sign they are worth the money. My E07+'s I got to get better mileage than knobbies have 5000 miles now, and like 1000 to 2000 left in them.

How is the front wear compared to rear? Pretty even?

·
Super Moderator
736 Posts
Even for a frugal guy like me that is a good sign they are worth the money. My E07+'s I got to get better mileage than knobbies have 5000 miles now, and like 1000 to 2000 left in them.

How is the front wear compared to rear? Pretty even?
Walked out in the garage and just snapped this photo of the front - yeah, looks pretty even. But, I have to say I'm pretty hard on the brakes as well.

About the only thing I haven't done with these tires yet is spend a full day out in the twisties (as is evident from the tits still on the sides of the tire) but I expect the wear on the sides will be similar. Dunlop claims the compound is somewhere between a harder touring and soft off road tire but I can't find anything that says the compound changes from the center to the edge as in other dual compound tires.

I'll also add that I don't run factory pressures (36/42), ever. Even loaded up for my recent trip I ran them at 34/39 and when I'm hustling around on twisty roads I air down (if I think about it) to 32/36 for better grip.

I look at those photos of my tires and it's hard to believe these tires have more than 1,000 miles on them.

Reactions: Krons

·
Super Moderator
641 Posts
Hard to find twisties in Iowa, but our city does have roundabouts...no nubs here. :D
20201018_094159.jpg

41 - 55 of 55 Posts