R1200GS Forum banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh those stock steering dampers….

My assessment is that they add weight to the bike and that’s about it. Sadly, that implies we need to spend a lot on a real quality damper.
Yes, it frustrates me that I hadn't even made the first payment on my '17 GSA and I'm already having to replace the front wheel and the damper. This is just after I replaced the tires before even riding the bike.

I'm sort of just walking around shaking my lowered head hoping that it will bet better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
2020 R1250GSA

I just replaced the Dunlop Mission Trailmax tires on my GSA with a new set. The old tires have 11,400 miles on them. They still have tread on them but they were getting loud, flat and started to cup.
I have not had any issues with wobbling. I did discover however .... the front wheel needs to be trued.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Tread

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Rim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Sherman,

This is my first post here. I have a new to me '17 r1200gs Adventure with 24K miles and I am experiencing the same front end wobble that you describe with the Trailmax Mission tire. The bike had some aggressive Mitas tires and I replaced them with the DTM before I even took the bike on the road.

On my very first ride on this bike and these new tires I noticed a shimmy at around 70mph. Sometimes it occurs at a little less speed, sometimes more depending on the road surface.

Toward the end of our 300 mile ride we entered the freeway where I took it to 80mph and then 90mph as on this freeway that's what most of the cars are doing. The first time I went to make a lane change by pushing right to go right I noticed what you are calling the mini tank slap. I tried it to the left and got the same thing. So then I experimented and pushed on the bar both left and right, not a lane change, just a quick push. Same result each time. I slowed done to 60 and told those behind me to go ahead as 60mph was much more comfortable.

Now the tire shop that I use uses tire beads. I know some guys hate them but I've always had good luck with them on my '06 Tiger 955i. What I've done is had the tire broken back down and the beads removed. We had the tire balanced on a static balancer which took 7 ounces of weight to get a balance.

Today was my second ride on the bike and even with the lead balancing weights at right around 70 on the back roads we were traveling there is a distinct wobble. I didn't set the cruise and take my hands off the bars completely but with very light pressure on the bars the wobble was there. It seems the faster I go the more the wobble will present itself. Although when giving a quick push on the bar I didn't get a heavy wobble as I did when making a lane change.

I think my next step is to contact Revzilla and see if they will exchange this tire for me.

I want to mention that there are many people across three different clubs that currently run or have run these tires and none of them have experienced what I am describing. This is a bit of a let down for me because I have this problem straight out of the gate. I haven't even made the first payment on this bike yet.

Oh, I have up the pressure to 39/44 because my first ride the pressure was actually on the low side. No real changes

I'm looking for other input as well so if you guys have ideas please put it here.

Thanks guys
Okay Guys, replying to my own post here for an update to my dilemma.

We found 12 loose spokes on the front wheel. The BMW shop in Plano Texas petitioned BMW to replace the wheel. BMW offered to pay half the cost. My warranty transfer hadn't gone through yet so I elected to pay the other half of the wheel plus labor to swap everything over and install back on the bike.

On my next 350 mile day ride I still had a shimmy but the frequency changed and the speed at which the shimmy started had changed. I found an Anakee 3 on sale so I bought and installed it. My shimmy seems to have been cured.

One of the riders in my club needed a new front and has been running the Missions since they came out without ever a problem, installed my tire on his bike. Much to our surprise his bike then had a wobble.

So, with all of this explained to Revzilla they have agreed to issue a return authorization for store credit.

I'm so glad this much has been ironed out and will now look at the steering stabilizer.

·
Registered
107 Posts

We found 12 loose spokes on the front wheel. The BMW shop in Plano Texas petitioned BMW to replace the wheel. BMW offered to pay half the cost. My warranty transfer hadn't gone through yet so I elected to pay the other half of the wheel plus labor to swap everything over and install back on the bike.

On my next 350 mile day ride I still had a shimmy but the frequency changed and the speed at which the shimmy started had changed. I found an Anakee 3 on sale so I bought and installed it. My shimmy seems to have been cured.

One of the riders in my club needed a new front and has been running the Missions since they came out without ever a problem, installed my tire on his bike. Much to our surprise his bike then had a wobble.

So, with all of this explained to Revzilla they have agreed to issue a return authorization for store credit.

I'm so glad this much has been ironed out and will now look at the steering stabilizer.
Thats unfortunate because Bob's BMW in Baltimore MD had BMW replace my front wheel for the same issue ... under warranty. No cost. While they were working on the bike they replaced the BMW front brake calipers, again under warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hi Guys
Sorry for the silence.

So I had much excitement. besides the wobble with the Trailmax Missions, I had a knobby on the rear start to tear. My supplier, Bike Tyre Warehouse petitioned Dunlop, who replaced the tire under warranty. Kudos to BTW for their efforts and Dunlop fir replacing the back tyre.
So interestingly enough, the tyre is rated at 180Kmh, about 110Mph, and today I had the brief occasion to take it up to 190Kmh, and the wobble seems to have settled. If you induce a wobble it will oblige briefly, but as I was pulling through the range, beyond the rating of the tyre, it was planted and stable. I did not do any harsh cornering as I am on a GS, but it would seem that with 4-5000km on the tyre, it settles in nicely and I felt quite comfortable at speed.
I will report back at 1000K Km.

·
Registered
2009 R1200 GS Adventure
12 Posts
Hi Guys
Sorry for the silence.

So I had much excitement. besides the wobble with the Trailmax Missions, I had a knobby on the rear start to tear. My supplier, Bike Tyre Warehouse petitioned Dunlop, who replaced the tire under warranty. Kudos to BTW for their efforts and Dunlop fir replacing the back tyre.
So interestingly enough, the tyre is rated at 180Kmh, about 110Mph, and today I had the brief occasion to take it up to 190Kmh, and the wobble seems to have settled. If you induce a wobble it will oblige briefly, but as I was pulling through the range, beyond the rating of the tyre, it was planted and stable. I did not do any harsh cornering as I am on a GS, but it would seem that with 4-5000km on the tyre, it settles in nicely and I felt quite comfortable at speed.
I will report back at 1000K Km.
Hey buddy, any feedback?

101 - 107 of 107 Posts