R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got out yesterday and practiced about 200 miles of social distancing on one of my favorite rides down Maryland's Eastern Shore into the Blackwater Nature Reserve. All paved miles so this first entry in this thread is about how they perform on the road. Dunlop is marketing them as a 50:50 tire but they obviously have a less knobby tread pattern than the TKC80s or the Michelin Wilds I'd been riding. My GS is transitioning into more of a touring bike but I wanted a tire that would let me wander off down even the more gnarly forest roads. The main reason I went with these tires was in hopes that they'd cause less noise and vibration than the knobs I'd been running. I had just barely broken them in over about 100 miles when I set out yesterday.

First and most obvious, these tires are extremely quiet compared to the other 50:50 tires I mentioned. There's a slight amount of road noise I would say is only slightly worse than any street tire I've had on various bikes (Michelin PR3 or 4, Conti Sport Attack, Dunlop Q3, etc). Pulling in the clutch to let the engine idle at 60 mph, I can't feel any vibration in my R1200GS and just a perceptible amount of rolling noise. Check!

With only a couple of hundred miles on the tires by the time I got to the twisty roads, I didn't try to push near the limit but rode what I'd call my normal frisky street pace. The rounded profile of the tires made tipping in to the corners feel very neutral with no tendency to resist or wander. When I got back home I still had about 3/4" of chicken strip front and rear and at those lean angles and hard charging out of the corners I felt planted and never got in to the traction control in Dynamic mode. Check!

I thought I'd have more off-road miles on them by now as we'd planned last week to do a couple of sections of the Mid Atlantic BDR. My riding bud called the morning of our departure with a high fever so we punted that trip. Given all this free time and sparse traffic I'm going to try to get off and do a combination of some long highway miles and hit up those couple of nice sections of the BDR in VA and WVa. To my way of thinking, spending time on the bike; carrying my own food with me; and, camping is about the best use of my social distancing time as I can imagine. I'll report up in this thread when I have more experience with them and I hope by the middle/end of the summer I'll have worn these tires out and can report on the mileage I got out of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm surprised how similar the tread pattern on the Dunlop TM mission is to the Shinko 705's which is rated an 80/20 tire. The shinko's have been my go-to tire for a number of adventure bikes. anyone have any direct riding experiences with both these tires? For an R1200GS the shinkos are about $180 for a pair and the Dunlops about $340

·
Super Awesom Person
529 Posts
I'm surprised how similar the tread pattern on the Dunlop TM mission is to the Shinko 705's which is rated an 80/20 tire. The shinko's have been my go-to tire for a number of adventure bikes. anyone have any direct riding experiences with both these tires? For an R1200GS the shinkos are about $180 for a pair and the Dunlops about $340
This is an excellent tire review except for the Trailsmart omission in the 80/20 range of tires.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyone I know using the Stinko 705 tires on their GS(A) bikes are loving them and can't beat the price. The people that I know using them are pretty much 100% street riders and I wanted something that I could still take off down a gnarly forest road.

·
Registered
299 Posts
705s are completely inadequate offroad.
Is it mud/sand they are bad in or gravel/fire roads too?

I'm looking at 70/30 tires next as I want to push harder on pavement than knobbies allow, but I also ride a lot of gravel and dry dirt. I intend to stay out of the sand/mud.

Trailmax Missions seem the best out there...but the 705 price is hard to beat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have put 150 miles on the Dunlops over maybe 8 city asphalt rides. I like them. Very good dry (no wet opps yet) grip, giving me much higher confidence in turns vs Anakee III. Almost no vibration, but some very minimal amount over 70mph, where I did not notice any on A-III. More rigidity / resistance to turns than A-III at speeds over 15mph, but I have gotten used to it notice less over time. No obvious noise, maybe better than A-III but didn't really have an issue there either. That rear tire looks still looks wicked every time I see it. I had considered the Michelin Adventure but due to looks and cost (also rebate on Dunlop) selected the Dunlop. I think I made the right choice. Looking forward to gravel and offroad soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts