R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Need to buy some tires.

trailmax mission seems like 馃憤 a good option.

kinda pricey $350 plus...I鈥檓 using Mitas EO 7 on my 2018 GSA

where should I buy or what are similar options since I spend 30% of the time off road

thanks in advance!

Registered
I just put on a set of the trailmax missions and rode mojave preserve.

All of the reviews call them a 50/50 tire that punches above their weight, don't believe the hype, they are 80/20 or 70/30 at best.

The good: zero noise on the highway, they are comfortable, smooth and handle well changing lanes, dodging potholes and tracking straight. In the rain the front is excellent and sticks to the road, you can feel the rear want to step out but if you ride like you should in the rain, a little extra careful, they wont. These are great on hardpack, dirt, shallow gravel, rocks, off camber, medium soft to hard ground surface. If you're riding fire roads they'll do everything you want.

The bad: In sand you will just dig down and plow, they are not good in sand at all, they do not inspire confidence, and I ride quite a bit in sand living in southern california. Its a very hard tire compound and the sidewalls are super stiff, I've never had so much trouble spooning on new tires, you'll need a heat gun/blowdryer to soften them up and plenty of windex. They respond well to airing down to 26/28psi (no luggage). They aren't as heavy as motoz tires but heavier and harder than more street oriented tires.

The ugly: I haven't taken them in the canyons yet but I'm running a 120 front and 150 rear on an 05 1200GSA with suspension that needs replacing and it wants to understeer. Lean it way over and it runs wide in turns. Once this rain lets up next week I'll take it to ortega highway and see how it handles a few miles of twisties, but its not looking as good as my previous tire set up, kenda big block paver in front, kenda cruiser on the rear. The mitas will be leaps and bounds better off road but the trailmax missions will give you more traction on road.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I just put on a set of the trailmax missions and rode mojave preserve.

All of the reviews call them a 50/50 tire that punches above their weight, don't believe the hype, they are 80/20 or 70/30 at best.

The good: zero noise on the highway, they are comfortable, smooth and handle well changing lanes, dodging potholes and tracking straight. In the rain the front is excellent and sticks to the road, you can feel the rear want to step out but if you ride like you should in the rain, a little extra careful, they wont. These are great on hardpack, dirt, shallow gravel, rocks, off camber, medium soft to hard ground surface. If you're riding fire roads they'll do everything you want.

The bad: In sand you will just dig down and plow, they are not good in sand at all, they do not inspire confidence, and I ride quite a bit in sand living in southern california. Its a very hard tire compound and the sidewalls are super stiff, I've never had so much trouble spooning on new tires, you'll need a heat gun/blowdryer to soften them up and plenty of windex. They respond well to airing down to 26/28psi (no luggage). They aren't as heavy as motoz tires but heavier and harder than more street oriented tires.

The ugly: I haven't taken them in the canyons yet but I'm running a 120 front and 150 rear on an 05 1200GSA with suspension that needs replacing and it wants to understeer. Lean it way over and it runs wide in turns. Once this rain lets up next week I'll take it to ortega highway and see how it handles a few miles of twisties, but its not looking as good as my previous tire set up, kenda big block paver in front, kenda cruiser on the rear. The mitas will be leaps and bounds better off road but the trailmax missions will give you more traction on road.
Thanks for Your input.

Registered

In sand you will just dig down and plow, they are not good in sand at all, they do not inspire confidence
Good comments; sounds like you know your stuff.

My current 80/20 tires will die in 4-5k miles and I plan to try some of the MTs.

I rode the NMBDR recently (and an additional 1000 miles of other assorted dirt and pavement) where there was all sorts of terrain...a lot of sand. I had the Tusk DS tires and my buddy had the MTs on his Beermer. He loved the tires and said they did great in all of the terrain we conquered. I saw him struggling in the sand, though he said he always struggles in the sand.

His experiences on that ride pretty much sold me on that tire.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I read that the carcass is really stiff and very difficult to mount. Anyone else mount these tires themselves?

Registered
I read that the carcass is really stiff and very difficult to mount. Anyone else mount these tires themselves?
They are a bit of a stiff tire no doubt, lots of lube needed. Myself I really like these tires , they did everything I wanted to tackle, I will definitely purchase again..

Super Awesom Person
I like the Mission tires. I think 70/30 is a good analogy and that fits how I ride. On the roads they work very well and If you spend 30% off road this should fit your riding style perfectly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
They are a bit of a stiff tire no doubt, lots of lube needed. Myself I really like these tires , they did everything I wanted to tackle, I will definitely purchase again..
Did you have to heat them up?

Super Moderator
"Stiff" to me is not a criticism but a feature. They should be more robust in resisting damage.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a pretty good breakdown of the tires to consider. I was surprised at the response for the Shinko 705

Registered
I just bought a set from Performance in Denver for $362.85 out the door for my 2014 GS. If you pick them up (In the Tech Center) it saves you about $20 vs. ordering online. However shipping is free and only takes about 4 days.

Registered
I just bought a set from Performance in Denver for $362.85 out the door for my 2014 GS. If you pick them up (In the Tech Center) it saves you about $20 vs. ordering online. However shipping is free and only takes about 4 days.
Additional thoughts: I have been running The Michelin Anakee Wild tire for years. Great tire off road but on the road I wear the rear off in 3500 miles and the front is noisy. The Dunlop Trailmax Mission is much more quiet and has been tested to get 8000+ miles on the rear. I have a couple friends who run them and really like them UNTIL they get in the deep sand or heavy mud. We have ridden them on the Utah and Colorado BDR's as well as on trails such as the White Rim outside Moab with no issues. They are a stiffer and heavier tire compared to my Anakee Wilds.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Additional thoughts: I have been running The Michelin Anakee Wild tire for years. Great tire off road but on the road I wear the rear off in 3500 miles and the front is noisy. The Dunlop Trailmax Mission is much more quiet and has been tested to get 8000+ miles on the rear. I have a couple friends who run them and really like them UNTIL they get in the deep sand or heavy mud. We have ridden them on the Utah and Colorado BDR's as well as on trails such as the White Rim outside Moab with no issues. They are a stiffer and heavier tire compared to my Anakee Wilds.
good to hear you did the white rim! Was that on your BMW?

Super Moderator
Here is a pretty good breakdown of the tires to consider. I was surprised at the response for the Shinko 705

I'm not at all surprised by the rating on the Stinkos. They're a great all around tire and can't beat the value pricing on them.

I wonder where the Dunlop TMM tires would have ranked if they'd been placed in the 80/20 test. Yeah, I know Dunlop calls them a 50/50 tire but they're at the top of my list for 80/20 riding. Quiet, vibration free, and very long lasting.

Registered
I did - and agree - difficult, but manageable to install. It was also difficult to set the bead on the front. I agree with most of the riding comments, though mine would fall into turns when new. I was not confident at all on fresh marble gravel, but that might be my limited skills (and likely difficult on all mixed use tires...). I had a bit more confidence on pavement with the well-worn Anakee 3's that came on my bike (used 2017 gs), but the A3 noise was horrible. The road manners of the Missions have improved with age and they are wearing quite well. Overall, I'm happy with the Missions, but wonder if the Anakee Adventures are notably better/worse for what I do (mostly paved and dirt road / dry double track).

Registered
Need to buy some tires.

trailmax mission seems like 馃憤 a good option.

kinda pricey $350 plus...I鈥檓 using Mitas EO 7 on my 2018 GSA

where should I buy or what are similar options since I spend 30% of the time off road

thanks in advance!
If you are looking for a 50/50 tire, that inspires confidence off road, try the Bridgestone BattlAx Adventurecross AX41's. I rode them for about 8k and they performed well on paved roads and great in the dirt roads. Price point is much better then the Dunlop and Michelin. They are noisy, but that's what knobby tires do.
I will be putting another set on this spring.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I did - and agree - difficult, but manageable to install. It was also difficult to set the bead on the front. I agree with most of the riding comments, though mine would fall into turns when new. I was not confident at all on fresh marble gravel, but that might be my limited skills (and likely difficult on all mixed use tires...). I had a bit more confidence on pavement with the well-worn Anakee 3's that came on my bike (used 2017 gs), but the A3 noise was horrible. The road manners of the Missions have improved with age and they are wearing quite well. Overall, I'm happy with the Missions, but wonder if the Anakee Adventures are notably better/worse for what I do (mostly paved and dirt road / dry double track).
Great input, thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
If you are looking for a 50/50 tire, that inspires confidence off road, try the Bridgestone BattlAx Adventurecross AX41's. I rode them for about 8k and they performed well on paved roads and great in the dirt roads. Price point is much better then the Dunlop and Michelin. They are noisy, but that's what knobby tires do.
I will be putting another set on this spring.
I like the battlAx on my other sport tourer, I will check these out thanks for the advice!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts