R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did - and agree - difficult, but manageable to install. It was also difficult to set the bead on the front. I agree with most of the riding comments, though mine would fall into turns when new. I was not confident at all on fresh marble gravel, but that might be my limited skills (and likely difficult on all mixed use tires...). I had a bit more confidence on pavement with the well-worn Anakee 3's that came on my bike (used 2017 gs), but the A3 noise was horrible. The road manners of the Missions have improved with age and they are wearing quite well. Overall, I'm happy with the Missions, but wonder if the Anakee Adventures are notably better/worse for what I do (mostly paved and dirt road / dry double track).
Ditto on the install and just requires a good technique to make it easier. 2 little things that help make things go well:
1. Don't forget to put some lube on the inside of the rim where the inside of the bead slides. Helps with pushing the bead down in the valley while mounting and then when you seat it with air as it slides out better.
2. I picked up one of those motorcycle tire warmers like racers use and wished I had done that years ago! I use to put them out in the sun or in the truck with the windows up but that takes a while.

So far these are my mileage kings and have lasted longer than any tire I have tried so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did - and agree - difficult, but manageable to install. It was also difficult to set the bead on the front. I agree with most of the riding comments, though mine would fall into turns when new. I was not confident at all on fresh marble gravel, but that might be my limited skills (and likely difficult on all mixed use tires...). I had a bit more confidence on pavement with the well-worn Anakee 3's that came on my bike (used 2017 gs), but the A3 noise was horrible. The road manners of the Missions have improved with age and they are wearing quite well. Overall, I'm happy with the Missions, but wonder if the Anakee Adventures are notably better/worse for what I do (mostly paved and dirt road / dry double track).
One my second set of Trailmax Mission's. Good tire, not much noise at all and wears much better than Anakee 3's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are looking for a 50/50 tire, that inspires confidence off road, try the Bridgestone BattlAx Adventurecross AX41's. I rode them for about 8k and they performed well on paved roads and great in the dirt roads. Price point is much better then the Dunlop and Michelin. They are noisy, but that's what knobby tires do.
I will be putting another set on this spring.
Years ago I put a set of Battleaxes on my old 1150GS, and they (don’t recall which model) were such a let-down after a lot of positive comments that they permanently killed my interest/willingness to ever use Bridgestone tires on my GS again. Sure, things are improved, but I already had much better experience with other tires, and not surprisingly those tires are still completely solid tires (in the great online “Opinionator”) 16 years later. Yes, I do ride aggressively both on-road and off-road, so some might consider me extra picky, but my Bridgestone experience was a real bummer.

·
Super Moderator
873 Posts
If you are looking for a 50/50 tire, that inspires confidence off road, try the Bridgestone BattlAx Adventurecross AX41's. I rode them for about 8k and they performed well on paved roads and great in the dirt roads. Price point is much better then the Dunlop and Michelin. They are noisy, but that's what knobby tires do.
I will be putting another set on this spring.
@Ryno23 I only got 3500 miles out of a AX41 knobby rear (1000 of that on slab) did you do better? I found it to be great on and off pavement but number of miles was a letdown. E-07+ has since been my 50/50 go to.

·
Super Moderator
883 Posts
One my second set of Trailmax Mission's. Good tire, not much noise at all and wears much better than Anakee 3's.
How many miles did you get out of your first set and what kind of riding? The miles are really piling up on mine but they still look like they've got another 2 - 3,000 mile ride in them.

·
Registered
974 Posts
@Ryno23 I only got 3500 miles out of a AX41 knobby rear (1000 of that on slab) did you do better? I found it to be great on and off pavement but number of miles was a letdown. E-07+ has since been my 50/50 go to.
I think I got about 7k out of my set. Maintained 36 psi and was 60% on slab. Mitas are a great tire. I didnt realize this, but Mitas website says it's a 60/40 tire.

Think I got close to 7K from my AX41. Love the Mitas for all around riding. Just looked at Mitas website and they call the EO-7+ a 60/40 tire.

E-07+
  • Ideal for riders looking for a multifunctional adventure tire with the best mileage durability in its segment for on-road rides but still able to travel difficult off-road sections
  • An excellent choice for long journeys around the globe when changing a tire in the middle of a trip is not an option
  • Designed for 60% on-road and 40% off-road use

·
Super Moderator
873 Posts
I think I got about 7k out of my set. Maintained 36 psi and was 60% on slab. Mitas are a great tire. I didnt realize this, but Mitas website says it's a 60/40 tire.

Think I got close to 7K from my AX41. Love the Mitas for all around riding. Just looked at Mitas website and they call the EO-7+ a 60/40 tire.

E-07+
  • Ideal for riders looking for a multifunctional adventure tire with the best mileage durability in its segment for on-road rides but still able to travel difficult off-road sections
  • An excellent choice for long journeys around the globe when changing a tire in the middle of a trip is not an option
  • Designed for 60% on-road and 40% off-road use
I'd agree with that, E-07+ front design isn't ideal off pavement. Lots of guys on other sites/forums rave on running a E-07+ rear and TKC80 front. Best of both worlds for traction and mileage for a off pavement combo.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Years ago I put a set of Battleaxes on my old 1150GS, and they (don’t recall which model) were such a let-down after a lot of positive comments that they permanently killed my interest/willingness to ever use Bridgestone tires on my GS again. Sure, things are improved, but I already had much better experience with other tires, and not surprisingly those tires are still completely solid tires (in the great online “Opinionator”) 16 years later. Yes, I do ride aggressively both on-road and off-road, so some might consider me extra picky, but my Bridgestone experience was a real bummer.
(y) @Scurvy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I bought a set of Mitas E 07 again....couldn’t find a reasonable price on the other tires.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You will get more miles out of the Dunlops then the Mitas. They might be more economical in the long run. I just read that RawHyde is using them on their rental fleet instead of Mitas which is a great tire.
I am putting on my third set of Dunlop Traile Max tomorrow which I have consistently gotten 10,000 miles from a set

21 - 30 of 30 Posts