R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check Out

Chaparral Motorsports for a great deal on these 90/10 tires, <$100 for a set for my '14 GSA

·
Registered
477 Posts
This has been ongoing for a little while now and is an amazing deal. I've personally bought 4 sets another buddy fo mine bought a set and yet another buddy bought 10 rears and 2 front.

In the past I've never really been a big Dunlop tire fan but the price was too good to pass up. Turn out these tires are actually very nice. Had afresh set down into the twisties of TN/NC and they performed very nicely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought a set and immediately took them off-road...it was a bit of a challenge but they actually did reasonably well on semi-maintained forest service roads. I kept up with the dual-sports for the most part but I will say they really don't do well in soft conditions. On the road is another story. Fully agree they handle very well and you can't beat the price.

·
Super Awesom Person
604 Posts
Dunlop Trailsmart. Not Michelin. However everyone is right. The Trailsmart is a very nice street tire and an outstanding deal right now. I have a set waiting in the garage if these Dunlop Mission tires I have on now ever wear out. I am super impressed with these Dunlop Mission 50/50 tires. Dunlop has really stepped up there game. . Dunlop Trailsmart Tires | ChapMoto.com

·
Registered
43 Posts
My son and I bought a set. One for his Super Ten and one for my 16 GSA. We went to the dealer to get them installed. He got his installed and really likes them and I ended up with a 2019 GSA with Michelin Anakee Adventures! I couldn’t pass up the deal and ended up giving the dealer my tires in the trade! The adventures are still noisy. I’m thinking of ordering another set and having them mounted next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the video they say that the manufacturing date is 2016 - 2017. Is this a problem? I always understood that the tires would start to harden or something?

·
Super Awesom Person
604 Posts
In the video they say that the manufacturing date is 2016 - 2017. Is this a problem? I always understood that the tires would start to harden or something?
They have been stored in a controlled environment. I don't think it's a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read conflicting views on the net. It's why I asked the question. Thanks for responding. I would end up storing them in my garage for a year or 2 before installing on my bike.

·
Super Moderator
641 Posts
Not a problem. OCD levels among riders varies though.

"most tire companies put the "sell by" date somewhere out around five years from the date of manufacture"

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought 3 sets, almost 9000 miles on my first one and the rear tire has at least another 1000 miles life left.
No complains at all. I did not notice any difference between Trailsmart and any other tires I owned on light dirt roads. Two weeks ago I was riding Blue ridge parkway and the Snake, all day brutal rain the tires were just glued to the pavement, amaizing. On dry surface no issues as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What is the difference between radial and bias? Ahhh forget it found the answer on the video, anyone know how to delete a post once you post? Lol

·
Super Moderator
641 Posts
Mine arrived today. 3417 and 2617 date codes. Other than the current E07+ will be my first non-knobby...excited to see how they do on gravel. Plan to be on pavement most of winter anyhow.
20201013_184401.jpg

·
Super Moderator
736 Posts
I have a friend who runs a tire business in Murphy NC (near Deals Gap, etc) who will install these tires on your bike for $200 all in. Contact him at

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a friend who runs a tire business in Murphy NC (near Deals Gap, etc) who will install these tires on your bike for $200 all in. Contact him at

Last time I paid for tires installation was 5 years ago, if I am not mistaking paid $80 including recycling fee. Since than I am changing them by my self. Didn't know that service went north by so much, at $98 for these tires, the installation fee is double the cost of the tires, wow. This hobby is getting expensive.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Itching to pull the trigger on these.....I have always run Shinkos (Dont hate me)...been through 3 sets now.......only reason I like them is because
1) they make the bike lean with so much ease.....the bike is just so flickable...
2) Indian roads and conditions are more like an offroad track
my friends GS is on AX41s and its a task to even turn the bike.....takes a lot of effort
So can some of the users comment on how these are in turns?

·
Registered
477 Posts

Hopefully at $200 he tops up the gas tank, changes the oil, washes & waxes the bike and offers p/u and delivery of the bike.

Local shops charged like that and after taking a good financial screwing it made my decision to buy a tire machine to change my own very easy. Since I've had my NoMar the local shops have missed out on the opprutinity to overcharge on almost 300 tires I've changed for friends family and myself.

If your local to me, bring me your wheels and tires off the bike I'll change them for a case of Yuengling Premium per wheel. This also covers the $2 per tire disposal fee I have to pay to properly dispose of old tires.

·
Super Moderator
736 Posts
Last time I paid for tires installation was 5 years ago, if I am not mistaking paid $80 including recycling fee. Since than I am changing them by my self. Didn't know that service went north by so much, at $98 for these tires, the installation fee is double the cost of the tires, wow. This hobby is getting expensive.
That price includes the tires. Geez, I'm losing my grip on how to communicate.

Reactions: Rick92040
1 - 20 of 22 Posts