R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
686 Posts
My local Suz/Kawi/Triumph dealer will mount up a tire you bring in for $35 per tire. Some other dealers around here make you buy their tires.

Have a riding buddy with a Nomar tire machine I'll try this time. Doing it once on the garage floor with spoons made me decide $35 was a bargain.

·
Super Moderator
786 Posts
If you can buy the tires the tires yourself and mount them yourself or take them to a place you like near home and get them done cheaper that's great. I mount all my own tires myself as well. But if you're on a trip in Western NC, N. Georgia, or Tenn near Deals Gap and find that you need tires, this is a good deal to be able to ride over to his place and get it done. I have nothing to gain from any of this. I just know him to be a great guy who likes to meet motorcyclists that are in the area and I can assure you that he can put you on some of the best roads in the area that are better than Deals Gap. He leads rides there pretty often as well. Good luck on going to anywhere else around there and getting reasonable service and deal. My goal was to just pass along the information and I'm happy that we have a few guys on here that can tell folks where where to get a better deal

Reactions: Krons

·
Super Moderator
686 Posts
Sorry, not sure what is not clear. Set of Dunlop Trailsmart=$98, Gray Beard guy charges $200 for install-twice the price of the tires
Price depends on sizing..my pair was $130. I don't think $35 a tire for install is too bad.

I know I need to know how to do it on the trail, but for me personally doubt I'd invest in a tire machine. Now for others...they get satisfaction in doing themselves.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you can buy the tires the tires yourself and mount them yourself or take them to a place you like near home and get them done cheaper that's great. I mount all my own tires myself as well. But if you're on a trip in Western NC, N. Georgia, or Tenn near Deals Gap and find that you need tires, this is a good deal to be able to ride over to his place and get it done. I have nothing to gain from any of this. I just know him to be a great guy who likes to meet motorcyclists that are in the area and I can assure you that he can put you on some of the best roads in the area that are better than Deals Gap. He leads rides there pretty often as well. Good luck on going to anywhere else around there and getting reasonable service and deal. My goal was to just pass along the information and I'm happy that we have a few guys on here that can tell folks where where to get a better deal
How many people carry tires with them? OR are you suggesting that if you are int he are and you tires are unexpectedly wear out you order a set of these Dunlops and wait 1 to 3 days until they arrive at you hotel or campsite then pay $200 to have someone change them.

Any rider in this situation would be far better off just going to a dealership and buying tires off the rack. Sure the Dunlops are $140 a set but factor in another $100 to $400 for hotels, food not to mention using another day or 3 of vacation then add in $200 for you buddies WAY overpriced service you got some hellaciously expensive cheap tires.

Its the helpful folks like your buddy who where the biggest driving factors in me buying my own tire machine. The cost of lube from the screwing they give cost more than a tire machine.

·
Super Moderator
786 Posts
How many people carry tires with them? OR are you suggesting that if you are int he are and you tires are unexpectedly wear out you order a set of these Dunlops and wait 1 to 3 days until they arrive at you hotel or campsite then pay $200 to have someone change them.

Any rider in this situation would be far better off just going to a dealership and buying tires off the rack. Sure the Dunlops are $140 a set but factor in another $100 to $400 for hotels, food not to mention using another day or 3 of vacation then add in $200 for you buddies WAY overpriced service you got some hellaciously expensive cheap tires.

Its the helpful folks like your buddy who where the biggest driving factors in me buying my own tire machine. The cost of lube from the screwing they give cost more than a tire machine.
I feel like this is degenerating into unproductive dialog but let me just correct two things you keep saying. He doesn't charge $200 to mount the tires and you won't have to wait for them to be ordered. He ordered a supply of these since they're a great deal and he's charging $89 to mount and balance them on a commercial spin balancer. I'll say it again (but don't care if anyone takes advantage of this) if you find yourself in the area in need of tires, this guy will get you in/out in very little time on new tires so you can continue to enjoy your time there. Admittedly, if you find yourself far from home there on worn out tires, you've planned poorly. If I found myself on vacation riding there and needed tires, I'd personally be happy to get that situation resolved quickly and willing to pay a bit of a premium to do so.

·
Registered
2016 BMW GSA; 2014 BMW R1200R
1 Posts
I’ve been doing a lot of research on tires lately and these are always in my top three. I am so glad I found this thread as it saved me a good bit of money. Thank you OP.

·
Super Moderator
786 Posts
My contact in Murphy NC informed me that he's installed all of these tires he had in stock. If you're looking for tires there now, you'd probably need to give him a day or two of notice.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts