R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GSPanzer
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using the new E3 Spark Plugs in their bike?

Did you put them in the primary position or secondary too?

Did you notice any difference in performance?

Did you see an increase in gas mileage?

·
GSPanzer
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, since I did not get a response, I went out and put in just two E3 spark plugs in the primary position. I instantly noticed a smoother running bike.

I went with only two for about 2 months and thought if this works this good, changing the other two will only help.

I noticed a much smoother engine, a lot less backfire when coming down out of the Rockies, and the gas mileage was really better.

My girlfriend has an 06 and I have an 07. She has been holding out on the change, but she cannot get the gas mileage I have been getting and the other day we were sitting at a stop light and my windscreen was not moving, while hers was shaking like an earth quake. Needless to say, after that visual, she has come over to the "good" side.

Oh, one other thing, you will notice an increase in pulling power and it will be easier to move the bike when it is all loaded up for a camping trip.

Enjoy!

·
Not that senior.
699 Posts
What are E3 Plugs

Well, since I did not get a response, I went out and put in just two E3 spark plugs in the primary position. I instantly noticed a smoother running bike.

I went with only two for about 2 months and thought if this works this good, changing the other two will only help.

I noticed a much smoother engine, a lot less backfire when coming down out of the Rockies, and the gas mileage was really better.

My girlfriend has an 06 and I have an 07. She has been holding out on the change, but she cannot get the gas mileage I have been getting and the other day we were sitting at a stop light and my windscreen was not moving, while hers was shaking like an earth quake. Needless to say, after that visual, she has come over to the "good" side.

Oh, one other thing, you will notice an increase in pulling power and it will be easier to move the bike when it is all loaded up for a camping trip.

Enjoy!

Not sure what E3 plugs are, but....i ran N.G.K Iridium plugs in my previous 3 bikes and there was a slight improvement, but not by any big margin. The bike has 4 spark plugs and as such, you change ALL FOUR.

They don't make them for my current bike an 2010 GS, if they did, i am not sure the change to them would make that big an improvement.

I would be more inclined to spend my money on a Booster Plug first.

·
GSPanzer
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear gdayjr,
Sounds like you have already experienced an improvement using better plugs like the N.G.K Iridiums. Me too.

I guess that is why I was willing to try the E3s.

Here is some of the science and physics behind the new E3 spark plugs.

I apologize for the dramatics in the video, but if you will be patient, you will see improvements like flame propogation within the cylinder, etc.

E3 Technology Explained in Our Tech Videos

The difference I found was that I am getting a smoother running engine and more torque, without using more gas.

The Booster Plug sounds like you are getting more power, but it is being done by tricking the engine into making a richer mixture by telling the ECU the temperature is 20 degrees cooler.

I like getting more power without using more gas. I can always twist the throttle for more.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi guys,
Not really clued up on E3 but I have recently installed a set (of 4) Brisk plugs. I've admire brisk plugs for some time and have been eager to use them.
What's so special? Well without crapping on with reams of tech data, the plug basically still has a central core, but instead of one electrode, there are 4 or 5, and they don't protrude over the core. Imagine a regular plug with an electrode over the core - the spark is "compressed". A Brisk plug's spark is actually bigger and more even. I will try to find the link to show it, but there's a guy here in Australia that actually has a demo rig set up to show interested folks at shows. The theory is that it's a more efficient spark and provides better detonation and leaves less unburnt fuel. I'm not gonna get into arguments about the tech and the physics cos I really couldn't be arsed, but I reckon the principle is sound.
Anyhow I installed mine after the 20k service. I've noticed a smoother pickup from low - revs. Too soon to tell if it's from the plugs, but as I said, I like the Brisk principle.
Trouble is, they don't make them for all makes and models. Luckily, you can readily email Brisk and they'll give you the right plugs recommended for your bike. Ok - they're not cheap. Looking at about AU$30 a plug.
You be the judge
Brisk Spark Plugs Australia

1200 GS '10

·
Registered
59 Posts
Doesn't anyone else even wonder why companies like Ferrari, BMW, Porsche, and Ducati don't put them in on the assembly line. After all, more power, smoother running, better MPG, and cheaper than most all Iridium's in use now!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used an E3 in a Yamaha TW200 and it ran better than with a stock plug. It somehow made a transitional carburetion flat spot go away. Great results.
2 years later: I bought TWO of them for a propane generator. First thing I noticed was they are made in CHINA. Second was that the quality of workmanship was poor. The center electrode on one plug wasn't even close to being centered in between the outer tri electrodes. Second was that the other plug, the ceramic was mounted crooked to one side. It barely fit into the plug socket. I installed them into the genset any way just to try them as the OE plug was, GOD forbid, a set of Champions. The engine ran rough unloaded and loaded. I pulled them out and put back the Champions and it ran extreamly smooth.
If E3 were produced in Japan or the USA where there are at least some quality standards, I'd run them. My $0.02

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok so here is my input. First I would like to add, that just because a company says it increases power etc etc I am always skeptical. I install 4 x E3 36 plugs today, and I see an improvement. It seems to rev easier, and I am certain even the exhaust note has changed. I have no idea about fuel economy yet, just did 20 miles or so on it hard lol:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts