R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I bought a 2010 R1200GSA and 15kms later on the freeway at a constant 100kph the engine died.
At the next lights the engine conked out, could not restart, and had to push then truck it to the workshop.
They found that the ECU (Bosch) had failed completely; they could not even download the failure modes.
A new BMW ECU for this bike is $AUD1800 plus $500 fitting.
I have tried to have it repaired but it completely broken.
The bike was left unused for years, has only has 8600kms on the clock and looks like new.
Any options? Is an aftermarket ECU available for this model? Can the original be repaired by a better expect?

Hugh

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Hugh, the best variant for you is buying and fitting new ECU, as far as I know this is rare failure in this model. Low cost case will be to find second hand ECU from another bike which someone sell in a parts. It should be same year at least, but wether this is "plug and play" part or need some additional settings to "recognize and view" all your options and parts I dont know.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Recently I bought a 2010 R1200GSA and 15kms later on the freeway at a constant 100kph the engine died.
At the next lights the engine conked out, could not restart, and had to push then truck it to the workshop.
They found that the ECU (Bosch) had failed completely; they could not even download the failure modes.
The bike was left unused for years, has only has 8600kms on the clock and looks like new.
Any options? Is an aftermarket ECU available for this model? Can the original be repaired by a better expect?

Hugh
I think if you pick up a used ECU you will have to get the whole set of ECU, Locks, Gas tank cap and speedo
An example is posted below:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Even if you find a used ECU you will probably need a BMW dealer to play ball on installation/programming.
I'm afraid for peace of mind and guaranteed success (plus a warranty) it will be necessary to pay the ransom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,
This is a bitter pill - it really has destroyed my confidence in the brand, and their parts and service costs are out of this world. I gather that I'd need to obtain an ECU, keys, fuel cap, speedo and key transmitter and for the life of me I can't figure out why a Canbus system is needed on a motorcycle. I've had a ZRX1200 Kwaka for 16 years with zero issues at all - just tyres, consumerables and chains, and the way this ECU failed is a mystery, no tech can figure out as their black box technology is beyond most mechanics. Even if the engine had less power or accessories I'd be happier to have a more reliable machine; this is ridiculous, the engine is almost brand new.

Hugh

·
Registered
74 Posts
A large proportion of vehicles are now being scrapped due to electronic issues rather than mechanical, says it all really. Luckily (for some) ECU failures are rare and can be caused by a bad earth wire.
I have a 2010 GS and was happy it had tyre pressure monitoring until the battery died in the sensor. I now have a permanent warning light and a £250/$308 bill pending.
Here in the UK there is a growing demand for older machines due to their lack of electronic aids and the third biggest new bike sales is for the cheap and cheerful uncompllcated Royal Enfield 650 twin models.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've owned two now and there is a reason BMW is usually at the bottom of the reliability list when compared to the other majors. My '19 1250 uses oil. Shouldn't but it does. Major disappointment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much - you are all the brains trust and you are very knowledgeable!
This failure is likely possible in any motorcycle, as they ALL use electronics to achieve their performance.
But I note that it almost never happens on Japanese bikes!
I am familiar with the car industry, and it does seem that BMW has brought its design and ethics to their bikes. This is disappointing as only 25 years ago they really were the best cruising bikes in the market.
I guess I have to bite the bullet, sell a kidney to Motorrad here, but it makes this a very expensive bike!
Hugh (Melbourne, Australia)

·
Registered
19 Posts

Hugh
Guday Hugh..
Mate this bloke might be able to help you out if you're going to go second hand replacement, situated just up the road from you midway between Benalla and Mansfield... His website.. Contact

Good luck...

·
Not that senior.
701 Posts
I was going to forward you the same contact.
I have a 2010 GS with 117000 km on it, and it has never missed a beat.
I have bought parts from Frank before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rang Frank, he doesn't have parts for a GS, only for a 2010 GSA.
Does anyone have experience with BM Motorcycles? Are they good mechs?
Any other workshops around Melbourne who fix GS electrics?
ECU is evidently kaput, and you need ECU, ABS, speedo/tach, fuel cap, key and ring transmitter, all in part from BMW is around $3k plus fitting. Looks like a very expensive repair......

Hugh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, not around Australia - and of course we are in lockdown in many areas.
I'm looking, but nothing yet......
Thanks for the reply,
HD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts