R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(If this has already been covered please just point me to the right thread)

Anyone modify their windscreen from manual to electric? I understand the knob adjustment is easy, I'm just curious.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
275 Posts
I never adjust my windshield. Once it is where I want it, I put a rubber ball behind it to keep it upright and stable. In early winter, I'll put the Puig Touring windshield on my GSA and leave it in place until warm weather arrives.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've got the Puig windscreen on my '16 R1200GSA. Love it, should have came with an electric adjustment. I use it to lower the screen off road, and to raise it up depending on how fast I'm going freeway speed wise. Pretty slick unit.

Reactions: Pops58

·
Registered
70 Posts
I never adjust my windshield. Once it is where I want it, I put a rubber ball behind it to keep it upright and stable. In early winter, I'll put the Puig Touring windshield on my GSA and leave it in place until warm weather arrives.
I like to see a picture of that and what type ball. Sounds like a good simple idea instead of a metal brace.

Reactions: Southpaw

·
Registered
731 Posts
(If this has already been covered please just point me to the right thread)

Anyone modify their windscreen from manual to electric? I understand the knob adjustment is easy, I'm just curious.

Thanks
Dan
puig sells an electric windscreen! its about 500-600 Euros I think

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the Puig windscreen on my '16 R1200GSA. Love it, should have came with an electric adjustment. I use it to lower the screen off road, and to raise it up depending on how fast I'm going freeway speed wise. Pretty slick unit.
Thanks for that, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I saw the Puig kit online and watched the installation video (above my pay grade). It's expensive but I have the need to move my screen up and down regularly and think it might be worth the money so am glad to hear it works well. My bike goes in for the 600 mile service next week I'll see at what my dealer says about the install.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I commute daily 50 miles or so each way on my motorcycle, year round, some highway and some stop and go NYC roads and streets. I need to be able to raise and lower my screen on the go when it starts to rain and when I get cold. If the rain stops before I get where I’m going, I prefer the screen at its lowest position. I hate having to pull to the shoulder or to stop in traffic to adjust my windscreen, and doing so is sometimes not particularly safe especially when it’s dark and rainy. The windscreen adjustment knob that came with the bike is not easy or safe to use on the fly. To complicate its use, my phone and radar detector are mounted on the right hand side of the bars making it difficult to reach the adjustment knob without knocking into them. I installed the Puig electric windscreen adjustment unit on y R1250GS. It works great. Problem solved. Worth the money....for me.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I commute daily 50 miles or so each way on my motorcycle, year round, some highway and some stop and go NYC roads and streets. I need to be able to raise and lower my screen on the go when it starts to rain and when I get cold. If the rain stops before I get where I’m going, I prefer the screen at its lowest position. I hate having to pull to the shoulder or to stop in traffic to adjust my windscreen, and doing so is sometimes not particularly safe especially when it’s dark and rainy. The windscreen adjustment knob that came with the bike is not easy or safe to use on the fly. To complicate its use, my phone and radar detector are mounted on the right hand side of the bars making it difficult to reach the adjustment knob without knocking into them. I installed the Puig electric windscreen adjustment unit on y R1250GS. It works great. Problem solved. Worth the money....for me.
How much USD?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for that, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I saw the Puig kit online and watched the installation video (above my pay grade). It's expensive but I have the need to move my screen up and down regularly and think it might be worth the money so am glad to hear it works well. My bike goes in for the 600 mile service next week I'll see at what my dealer says about the install.
I've had mine installed for a while now, about June 17th - the installation was *really* easy. If you can turn a screwdriver, you can install this in less than 30 minutes. I think that was the extent of the skill needed. I ended up mounting my buttons on the right handlebar side, since the left was too heavily occupied, but really just followed the instructions. It was a quick after work evening install with no hiccups.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had mine installed for a while now, about June 17th - the installation was *really* easy. If you can turn a screwdriver, you can install this in less than 30 minutes. I think that was the extent of the skill needed. I ended up mounting my buttons on the right handlebar side, since the left was too heavily occupied, but really just followed the instructions. It was a quick after work evening install with no hiccups.
You're good! I'm kind of handy but watching the video took me almost as long as it did for you to do the install!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=5&ved=0ahUKEwit0IzxqYblAhXIuFkKHcOnAwcQtwIIOTAE&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftUlCKaN4XA&usg=AOvVaw1qwYFVcHoELze5ZOaAZyCy

In for a penny...I'll still let the dealer do it.

I'm really glad there was good and supporting feedback for the outlay and functionally, I know I'm going to love it. And yes it definitely should be a factory standard or at least optional feature for what the bike cost. I'll probably replace the windscreen as well. Though it works well, the distorted view the times I have to look through it because I didn't have it down enough are a safety issue for me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You're good! I'm kind of handy but watching the video took me almost as long as it did for you to do the install!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=5&ved=0ahUKEwit0IzxqYblAhXIuFkKHcOnAwcQtwIIOTAE&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftUlCKaN4XA&usg=AOvVaw1qwYFVcHoELze5ZOaAZyCy

In for a penny...I'll still let the dealer do it.

I'm really glad there was good and supporting feedback for the outlay and functionally, I know I'm going to love it. And yes it definitely should be a factory standard or at least optional feature for what the bike cost. I'll probably replace the windscreen as well. Though it works well, the distorted view the times I have to look through it because I didn't have it down enough are a safety issue for me.
I changed my windscreen to the smallest VStream because I hated the bends and distortion in the OEM screen. It’s about the same size as the OEM GS screen No buffeting. Looks good. Now that the weather is getting colder, I may switch to a wider screen. Maybe the Puig. People seem to like it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did any of you with the Puig Electric change your windscreen out from stock, if so to what?

I've got mine installed. I'm a little disappointed that the huge rectangular piece in the middle blocks what little of the road I could see right in front of the bike. I want to change the screen to something without the distorted view of the stock screen. I'm thinking since the Puig electric raises the screen further than stock a larger windscreen might not be necessary?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Dan

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dan, as stated earlier on this thread, I am using the VStream, smallest size, windscreen. It is about the same size as the stock GS screen but without the distortion and bends of that screen. Now that the weather is turning cold, I may opt for a larger, wider screen.
I don’t find the Puig electric lift to block any of the road where I would be looking at it or need or want to see it when riding. The view that it blocks is mostly down between the screen and the instrument cluster and only feet in front of the front wheel. If I’m looking there when riding, I’m in for a crash. I’m not a very tall guy. In my prime, I was 5’ 11”. Now, I’m told, I’m 5’ 9 1/2”. It seems that getting old does have some downsides; but, considering the only currently available alternative, I’m happy for the experience. If you are having trouble looking over the Puig screen lifter to see any part of the road ahead of you that you should be seeing, you must be one really short guy!
Anyone have a recommendation or comments about wind protection/buffeting or lack thereof with larger screens?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Las, I must have glossed right over your post re: the small Vstream between looking back on this thread and the Calsci one. I like the look of the Vstream so good to hear it works well for your 5-11 ER I mean 5-9 height ;). I'm 5-8, or at least I used to be. My GS has the low suspension (else I wouldn't have traded my trusty RS in on it).

I got the bike back from 1st service yesterday with the Puig unit installed but didn't have a chance to to get out, I only sat on it and noticed the rectangular block impeding the view immediately in front of the bike. Of course I'm always looking up the road but sometimes when slow going it's good to see up close. Anyway, I'll get her out later today and see what's what.

Dan

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dan, As I was composing my post, I was thinking that your concern about the electric lift being obtrusive might have been due to your not actually having ridden your bike. I’m sure that once you get out and ride, the electric lift will not be in your line of sight. When I decide on a larger screen for winter riding, I’ll post the results. Some input from others on this forum before I take a plunge would be welcome.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll post my impressions later today.

I'm thinking it won't be apples to apples when comparing windscreens with others as the Puig unit has more range of motion...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dan, As I was composing my post, I was thinking that your concern about the electric lift being obtrusive might have been due to your not actually having ridden your bike. I’m sure that once you get out and ride, the electric lift will not be in your line of sight. When I decide on a larger screen for winter riding, I’ll post the results. Some input from others on this forum before I take a plunge would be welcome.
Ok Las just got back from a 90 minute ride. As you've indicated the Puig unit "box" thankfully is in fact a non-issue.

I just ordered the touring (z2487) Vstream so I'll give you my thoughts after I test it out. It's reasonably priced and free shipping. I'm hoping though it's bigger than stock, since the Puig unit lets it sit lower than stock on the lowest setting it won't be much taller than stock when in the low position.

This is a fantastic bike. On/off throttle is much smoother than the RS I had, the quick shifter is better and it's definitely quicker. I also am liking the shorter and higher reach the Installed Helibar risers are giving me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For those of you that have installed the PUIG electric windscreen, do you still need bracing for the larger windscreens? Do it cause windscreen to shake at higher speeds? I have a Givi screen and it has additional bracing.

Thanks

Ken

1 - 20 of 27 Posts