R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I'm experiencing, thoughts?

1. R1200 was left outside for a few days in a snow/rain cycle at 9000ft in Colorado. I suspect some moisture may have penetrated the ignition/key switch and both the left and right handlebar switches about a year ago.
2. Intermittent failure of the Instrument cluster began. The display with "go dark" (a no power condition) in a flicker pattern before going out for longer intervals.
3. Instrument cluster behavior changed, now it only comes on for a few seconds when the key is turned on, all LEDs activated, then turns off permanently.
4. Bike would start and run normally. If you help the start button longer than you should.... I mean, if you held the start button and did not let go once the engine started, the instrument cluster would come on and stay on until you release the start button. By holding this down, I could see how much gas I had, what ride mode I'm in, etc. This seemed like further evidence of a ground issue, but where would the ground be that could cause problems for the cluster?
5. Behavior change: now it won't start at all. If I short the starter relay the engine will turn over. When I turn the key on, I hear a few systems initializing but the start button is dead. No clicking of the solenoid, nothing. The main relay has been tested and is working fine.

This is the kind of situation that would make me think I have a ground problem, but I understand that CAN-BUS systems don't have ground blocks? I have tested the main relay and it works, I have tested the start button. I have traced out my wiring looking for damage. I have taken apart the instrument panel and traced through it looking for any damage, broken solder, moisture penetration..... everything looks ok.

side note: I don't have a code reader. I do have a raspberry pi and could order a can-bus hat, but will need codes. Is the community supported code list up to date these days for an R1200GS CAN-BUS codes? Does anyone have a GS911 I could use / rent / borrow or even purchase? Could the ECU be stopping the bike from starting or shutting down the Instrument cluster for some reason? Does this sound like an ECU problem? Everything else on the bike has always worked perfectly, owned it since new. I was under the impression that the ECU will always let the bike start if there are no current no-start conditions... ie. it doesn't need to be "cleared" as long as the condition is corrected. So the code reader is unnecessary unless you want the information or want to clear the service light? Is this correct?

Thanks! - Jason - Bellingham, Washington, USA

·
Registered
698 Posts
Wiring issue for sure.....my LED headlight had a weird erratic issue......they changed the headlight, I rode home and bingo same happened again.....then they foloowed all the wires etc and found a ground issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts