R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
just purchased my first boxer,2nd hand, and on startup there is a distinct hash/rattle sound coming from,seemingly, the right hand jug area:surprise:
it only lasts a second or two,and is not that loud, then the bike is flawless:smile2:
its as if the cam chain tensioner isnt pressurising quickly enough
this happens after a week of no riding or after as little as 4hrs of sitting

was just wondering if this is normal:crying:

the bike is 2013LC with 2800kms:smile2:

i dont want to chase the problem if its normal,but if its not then ill start with a new tensioner seal/oring then prob be looking at a new timing chain

as the PO obviously left the bike sitting for long periods(like years),im wondering if tension on the chain couldve led to its early demise:frown2:

thanks for any replies

russ

·
Registered
37 Posts
Russ

My 300 mile 2018 does it as you described as well.

I don't like it sounds like oil starvation but I am told it's normal by my Ace BMW mechanic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the feedback guys:smile2:
as i said its not so intrusive
i really didnt want to go chasing it,and having no history with the boxer engine,i dont have anything to compare it with:confused:

thanks again
russ

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 2017 does the same thing with almost 9K on it. Bought it used with 2600 both services done by BMW. I did my fist oil change a few weeks ago and
noticed that funky noise lasted, I dunno half a sec, then quieted down...So ok oil pressure related I said too an empty garage.
So merlot.This is my first BMW boxer as well and coming to grips with the various mechanical noises. Im used to 350K miles on two completely liquid cooled
whisper quiet Goldwings since 1988.
Have you taken it up to red line yet???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

nowhere near,i just dont ride like that:nerd:
prob notice noises as not a "true"water cooled engine,ie there is no water jacket

really liking this machine:cool:

russ

·
Registered
129 Posts
The older models had shit tensioners in them. There is a replacement that fixed the rattle. Don't know if BMW are still using the crap ones or not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yesterday i did an oil change and filter and took the bike for a good ride
Today i swear the start up rattle is gone:smile2::laugh2:
All i can think is that the anti drain valve in the new filter is now working and the filter is not emptying,so giving a solid oil pressure when bike is starting:nerd:
I will keep monitoring and see how it goes,but the bike was clattering after sitting for 5 mins after a ride and restart,so was noticeably worse:frown2:

FYI oil is T6 Rotella
Filter is RYCO Z418 from Supercheap

russ

·
Registered
69 Posts

nowhere near,i just dont ride like that:nerd:
prob notice noises as not a "true"water cooled engine,ie there is no water jacket

really liking this machine:cool:

russ

Neither do I but once in a while when you feel the need for some quick speed. 2nd gear red line getting on the hwy just listen to that engine sing!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thinking back to when i removed the filter:

i rode the bike down to the back shed,drained the oil(skid plate was already off) then i drilled a hole in the filter,at approx position 9pm
little if any oil came out.then i rotated filter to bring the drill hole to the bottom,and let it drain before removing,just to minimise the mess(i neednt have bothered)
there was hardly any oil in the filter
so the filter had fully drained back to the engine, after 10 mins of standing

so i will monitor this dry engine rattle,and if it returns,i will spin on another filter

i cant believe the supposed BMW techs giving this dry start symptom the thumbs up
the rattle itself is of little concern.but it indicates a dry engine,and pistons flying in and out without oil,is a concern

prob why i try to do my own services:nerd:

russ

·
Registered
18 Posts
That doesn’t sound right - every time I change the oil in my 18 LC, plenty of oil flows out of the filter when I remove it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts