R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Capt'n
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some troubleshooting and repair advise.

I rode for two days in heavy rain "No problem" but the third day which was sunny and warm, my 2010 R1200GSA stalled at a intersection. When I started it up again, it ran really rough and would not idle at all. Even above 3000 rpm or 45 mph, it still did not run smoothly. Heavy fuel smoke/fumes coming out the tail pipe from unburned fuel.
I have changed the two main spark plug coils. - Installed new spark plugs - boroscoped the cylinder and all the valves (No issues)- added fresh gas to above half tank and added a can dry gas.
It still will not idle and runs rough "Not a happy bike"
I need advise!!
Could it be the O2 sensor, Fuel pump controller?
Any and all advise is much appreciated

Capt'n

·
Registered
342 Posts
Could it be something as simple as a stone in one of the throttle cams?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Sounds like you have a cylinder that is not firing.
First check that the throttle cable at the bowden box are fully seated.
The O2 sensor can cause problems but not to that extent , the fuel pump controller is normally a go or no go failure and it wouldn't run rich.
First you need to isolate the problem cylinder, do this by unplugging the spark plug, the side that makes the least difference in the way the engine runs is the bad side.
Then go through that side starting at the intake, check from the air filter on down to the throttle bodies for any obstructions or any obvious problems and make sure that you actually do have good spark fuel is probably not the issue since you claim its running rich, I have seen new spark plugs and coils that were faulty and wet air filters that have come apart.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My thoughts keep returning to "heavy rain"...

And /or shitty fuel.
Either way, try adding 0.7 ml of acetone per litre of fuel to the tank. It'll dissolve gum deposits and general shite in the tank and clean the jets.
I'd try that before pulling things to bits.
Worth a shot, and no, it won't damage anything AT THAT RATE.
Cheers
Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an issue once where the bike (2013 GS) backfired on starting. After that it would not run smooth or idle. Turns out a vacuum hose got blown off in the backfire. Picture attached. I did not, however, have the unburnt fuel issue you described.
PCyr: I had the same problem and was worried that it was something serious. I took a look at your photo and then checked out my bike. Same issue. Runs great now, thanks so much!

·
Registered
23 Posts
PCyr: I had the same problem and was worried that it was something serious. I took a look at your photo and then checked out my bike. Same issue. Runs great now, thanks so much!
Hi D-Man - Welcome! Nice forum name!
People may get us mixed up!?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts