R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 R1200 GS LC. I've searched as best I can, but most ESA posts seem to be related to the ride height aspect of the ESA. How can one verify the function of the damping adjustment on the ESA system. I commute to work regularly, so I have a nice repeatable route to evaluate such issues. The route has a rough, pothole and patched tar and gravel section and some nice new asphalt. I usually swith to "soft" on the gravel road and "normal" on the smooth. It seems the damping is no longer changing. It used to be very noticeable when I softened the suspension on the gravel, now it seems to be stuck in "normal" all the time. I have verified the ride height/spring preload adjuster works, I can see the adjuster move and the height does change. But the damping seems to be off. I don't have a GS911, but I do have the moto-scan tool.

· Super Awesom Person
1,037 Posts
That particular part of the shock can fail. Luckily the back shock is not hard to replace. I would give Ted Porter a call at his Beemer shop and ask what your options are about fixing or replacing it.
831-438-1100 They are extremely helpful.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip, Rick! I called and got Ted. He was quite helpful. He seemed shocked (suspension related pun) I have a 2013 with near 40,000 miles without the front shock failure. Since I only drive locally and commuting to work, I'll probably run to failure, but I guess I need to start a collection jar for shock replacement some day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts