R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like an espresso when touring but there's not always a convenient cafe. Has anyone used a Handcoffee Auto 12V machine? As it plugs into a 12V cigarette lighter, will it work with a an adapter into the 12V socket? I've been told you can't run a compressor off that and I may need to connect directly to the battery with a pigtail. Any thoughts? Graçias!

·
Super Moderator
705 Posts
I sometimes carry my Jet Boil with me and the French press option for it. If I've got some water, I can make a pretty decent cup in just several minutes. I've been known to break that out on the side of the road on a cold and rainy ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sometimes carry my Jet Boil with me and the French press option for it. If I've got some water, I can make a pretty decent cup in just several minutes. I've been known to break that out on the side of the road on a cold and rainy ride.
Thanks GreyBeard. What compression pressure does that use? And do you use it from the built-in 12V point?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Espresso exactly no, but I preferred to carry with me small gas bottle and within 2 minutes small cup of water is boiled. I make instant coffee. This is part of camping gear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most of the coffee-addicted riders that I know swear by the Travel Coffee Makers - Portable Espresso Machines I tried it, excellent coffee. The only draw back is that you have to provide hot water (either bring a stove or get some from a restaurant)
Hey, thanks 20-100. The attraction of the Handpresso I'm looking at is that is heats and expresses the water like an espresso machine ... but I'm trying to find out if it will run through the 12V point on the bike (with a cigarette lighter adapter).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Espresso exactly no, but I preferred to carry with me small gas bottle and within 2 minutes small cup of water is boiled. I make instant coffee. This is part of camping gear.
Thanks Niks. I'm trying to find a solution to run the hand-held espresso machine off the bike 12V. There's also a version that is actually hand-pressed that you need to boil water for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope none of my non-BMW riding friends see this! They already think a BMW can't pass a Starbucks without stopping. 😄
60Aviator :) :D ... it's being Australian mate, can't do a run without a good espresso. Which by the way you never get at a Starbucks ;)

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
162 Posts
Hey, thanks 20-100. The attraction of the Handpresso I'm looking at is that is heats and expresses the water like an espresso machine ... but I'm trying to find out if it will run through the 12V point on the bike (with a cigarette lighter adapter).
It will not run from the stock outlet of a GS. Stock outlet is limited at 5 amperes, the Handpresso needs 10 amps.

The good new is that it's fairly easy to replace the side outlet on your GS by a regular lighter outlet wired directly to the battery and fused at 15 amps. Once that done, Handpresso will work Ok and, as a bonus, no need for an adapter.

Extra bonus, you will have a regular 12v outlet to run a compressor (most of the compressors need more than the 5 amperes available from the stock outlet)

Les Européen sont des amateurs de vrai café... les américains commencent seulement à comprendre :)

·
Super Moderator
402 Posts
regular lighter outlet wired directly to the battery and fused at 15 amps. Once that done, Handpresso will work Ok and, as a bonus, no need for an adapter.

Extra bonus, you will have a regular 12v outlet to run a compressor (most of the compressors need more than the 5 amperes available from the stock outlet)
I would wire and fuse direct to battery too, likely to eliminate issues for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It will not run from the stock outlet of a GS. Stock outlet is limited at 5 amperes, the Handpresso needs 10 amps.

The good new is that it's fairly easy to replace the side outlet on your GS by a regular lighter outlet wired directly to the battery and fused at 15 amps. Once that done, Handpresso will work Ok and, as a bonus, no need for an adapter.

Les Européen sont des amateurs de vrai café... les américains commencent seulement à comprendre :)
Hey 20-100, that's great, really helpful thanks. I've found varying information about how this could work so that's a great confirmation. I'll give it a go and the extra 12V will be good too, as you say.
Et, je suis d'accord! Mais, nous australiens sont les experts de café ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts