R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know of a way to get the auto LED headlight on a US bike (2015 GSA)? Is it simply a matter of swapping in a control unit from a euro bike?

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
118 Posts
You mean like in cars, you put the light in auto mode and they go on or off according to the light outside ?

Never heard of that feature on a motorcycle. Here in Canada (and, probably, a lot of other countries) motorcyle headlight should always be on...

There is a small third light in the BMW headlight, maybe in some European countries you can have only that during daytime. In such countries, turning the headlight on automatically when it get darks make sense.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Here in India the lights on the 2018 GSA come on at sunset....automatically...the sensor is on the speedometer upper right corner.
Mornings only DRL is on which is that band kinda thing plus a small bulb, evening the low beams come on
I thought thats the norm.......interesting.
Can someone post pics?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, Brit here. Here's how all the bikes I have owned in the UK (i.e. European regulations) have worked:

• If Halogen - headlight on at all times. No way of switching it off. No DRL. There is a small bulb which is a parking light only (you can't have the bike running with only this bulb, unless the headlight bulb is blown).
  • If LED - there is a bright LED DRL which follows the contour of half the headlight unit, similar to what cars have, which is on during the day. At dusk (or in dull weather), the bike automatically switches DRL off and main headlight on. There is also an override button in case you want to manually switch from DRL to main headlight.
I think, but don't know for sure, that the sensor for the DRL/headlight switchover is in the instrument cluster. I'm afraid I don't know if a conversion is possible, but thought maybe an explanation of how they work here might be useful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here in India the lights on the 2018 GSA come on at sunset....automatically...the sensor is on the speedometer upper right corner.
Mornings only DRL is on which is that band kinda thing plus a small bulb, evening the low beams come on
I thought thats the norm.......interesting.
Can someone post pics?
That's exactly what I want.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello, Brit here. Here's how all the bikes I have owned in the UK (i.e. European regulations) have worked:

• If Halogen - headlight on at all times. No way of switching it off. No DRL. There is a small bulb which is a parking light only (you can't have the bike running with only this bulb, unless the headlight bulb is blown).
  • If LED - there is a bright LED DRL which follows the contour of half the headlight unit, similar to what cars have, which is on during the day. At dusk (or in dull weather), the bike automatically switches DRL off and main headlight on. There is also an override button in case you want to manually switch from DRL to main headlight.
I think, but don't know for sure, that the sensor for the DRL/headlight switchover is in the instrument cluster. I'm afraid I don't know if a conversion is possible, but thought maybe an explanation of how they work here might be useful.
Yes, the sensor id in the cluster. So I'm wondering do I need a Euro cluster, or the headlight module? Maybe both?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You mean like in cars, you put the light in auto mode and they go on or off according to the light outside ?

Never heard of that feature on a motorcycle. Here in Canada (and, probably, a lot of other countries) motorcyle headlight should always be on...

There is a small third light in the BMW headlight, maybe in some European countries you can have only that during daytime. In such countries, turning the headlight on automatically when it get darks make sense.
Yes, like in cars. All the euro bikes have auto LED headlight. There's a manual override option as well.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Actually the manual says in the morning the DRL is more visible than the headlight low beam.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
118 Posts
Even on my old (2009) GS, Canadian version (headlight and park light always ON) there is a sensor in the cluster, used to control the cluster backlight. I suppose that it is just a matter of changing a setting hidden somewere deep down in the bowels of the ZFU (the chassis control unit).

I'm almost sure that you need a pirate copy of the BMW software (your dealer 'legal' version has localisation restrictions, they cannot activate an option not available in your country)

If you change the control unit, you need to have the keys that comes with it. If you go to a dealer to get keys, they will probably have to 'localize' the settings of your bike... if they want to touch it...

·
Registered
16 Posts
With the current setup I have, I notice that I seem to be A LOT more noticeable to people...which is a goooood thing, especially for side traffic wanting to pull out across or in front of me. Personally? I HATE DRLs...I always run with the headlights on full power, cage or bike...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've done some more research on this and I think all I need is a euro spec combo switch. It has the extra button on it to turn off the headlight. I'm gonna give it a shot.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
118 Posts
There is no direct wiring in the GS's, all the switches are connected to the ZFE and the lights are controlled by it.

Exemple: if you press the right turn flasher, it does not send power to the flasher, it just send a signal to the ZFE (Please ZFE, would you flash on the right)... then the ZFE sends power to the flasher. Everything is connected like that.

If the ZFE is programmed to 'know' that a switch was added it will not 'know' what to do with it. Neither it will start caring for the light sensor.

I don't think that your test will cause any harm, but I'm almost sure that it will not work without some programming.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is no direct wiring in the GS's, all the switches are connected to the ZFE and the lights are controlled by it.

Exemple: if you press the right turn flasher, it does not send power to the flasher, it just send a signal to the ZFE (Please ZFE, would you flash on the right)... then the ZFE sends power to the flasher. Everything is connected like that.

If the ZFE is programmed to 'know' that a switch was added it will not 'know' what to do with it. Neither it will start caring for the light sensor.

I don't think that your test will cause any harm, but I'm almost sure that it will not work without some programming.
Yeah I get it. It's CAN bus. When my switch goes out I'll replace it with the European one and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts