R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any feedback about Edelwiess Tours ? They seem to be the biggest but there must be others.
We are planning a European tour next year in Austria, Slovenia, Croatia. 2 up on a 1200GS or RT1200.
Do people bring all their own riding gear from North America ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have used Ayres Adventures and they are GREAT !!! I know some people that have also used Beach's Motorcycle Adventures and are happy with them as well. Both are North America based company. Ayres has employees based out of Europe that know all the best roads.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have used Edelweiss a couple of times, great company as is support, hotels, guides and well maintained bikes, no complaints. The area you are looking at for a tour has excellent riding. Yes, bring your own gear. I used a large travel bag for golf clubs to pack all our gear and boots while helmets were carry on baggage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've looked at the European tour companies, but never can get past the price increase for a passenger. While I could afford to go by myself, adding my wife seems to add an exorbitant amount to the tour price. Often nearly doubles the price. Don't see how they can justify it, since we'd share the bike and the room??? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've looked at the European tour companies, but never can get past the price increase for a passenger. While I could afford to go by myself, adding my wife seems to add an exorbitant amount to the tour price. Often nearly doubles the price. Don't see how they can justify it, since we'd share the bike and the room??? Am I missing something?
I've noticed the same thing, I'd like to know where the additional expense is as well

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
Are you sure they weren't assuming double occupancy on rooms even for single riders (that is, you ride one-up but share a room with some other guy)? I recall seeing a couple tours that had this assumption buried in fairly small print. Only noticed it when I saw a higher rate for solo rider/single occupancy lodging.

I'm getting interested in a Euro-tour, probably not for a couple years (after the wife retires). Not a GS thing, as for two-upping we'd probably need something like a K16GTL. Somewhere, I saw a reference to special licensing requirements if you're over 65 (which I will be in a matter of weeks). Anybody know anything about that? Just additional paperwork for getting an international driver's permit, or a written/eye test, or what?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a good example I just took off the Edelweiss web site. Swiss Alps tour, Solo rider, single room, R1200gs=$3910. Add passenger and share the room, price increases by $1500! to a total of $5270! Too rich for my blood. Do they really think an extra passenger is going to eat $1500 worth of meals? I could see $500, but not $1500. The other tour groups are just as bad, if not worse. I've decided to just rent a bike in Germany and take my chances at getting lost...a lot cheaper!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure about riding in Croatia or Slovenia, but I've ridden two self-guided motorcycle trips to the Alps. Once two-up and one time solo. Both times on a big GS. Rented both times near Munich. Rode through Southern Germany/Bavaria, Austria, Northern Italy/Dolomites, Swizerland, Liechtenstein, etc. Easy to do on your own after reading one of John Hermann's books...Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps and Beyond. Late May / early June is a good time to go and avoids a lot of the European vacationers in the high season summer months. Early-to-mid September is good too. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My biggest problem is that the prices are in US dollars, by the time I do the conversion to AUS dollars it becomes outrageously expensive.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Guided motorcycle tours Croatia

Any feedback about Edelwiess Tours ? They seem to be the biggest but there must be others.
We are planning a European tour next year in Austria, Slovenia, Croatia. 2 up on a 1200GS or RT1200.
Dear,if you are still looking such adventure, please see our website mototourscroatia.com
Also, we have forum here on this matter, please visit us if you have any question.
Thank you, cheers! Robert

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been on two tours with Edelweiss, "Best of Europe" and "Rome to Sicily". They were expensive, but they were very well run. All the hotels were nice, all the restaurants were good, everything was on time, etc. I'm sure there are cheaper options but you get what you pay for IME.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tour Companies

I've used Edelweiss a number of times and they are GOOD. Ayers also is good, although I have only used them in South America. If you are willing to do a bit of pre-planning you will find that renting a bike and "self-guiding" is a reasonable alternative to going with a tour group.

Bring your own gear. Some companies rent equipment, but fit and hygiene won't be the same as having your own.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive never considered using a tour company but I see the benefits (no hiccups, support, camaraderie with a group). Going it alone a few times allowed me the freedom to improvise. The tradeoff was not having a group to drink beer and bench race with, and yes, I missed that.
Edelweiss has been doing this for a very long time. You can't go wrong with them. They can control everything except the weather, and even that they probably have workarounds for. Enjoy!

Dave.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd give an update. Since my original post in 2018, I and a friend used Edelweiss for a tour of the Alps in Sept. of 2019. To save money we decided to do one of their "self-guided" tours, where Edelweiss plans the route and makes the overnight reservations for you, but other than that, your on your own..no guides, just a pre-loaded GPS. Quiet a bit less expensive than doing a full-up guided tour. Our first time to Europe, so quite a steep learning curve with the roundabouts and such. But we did alright. Enough that we plan to go back in 2020, but this time we will just rent a couple of bikes and head out on our own. The only real time things got "testy" was in Lecco, Italy. We quickly discovered a GPS is worthless in a tunnel! And the tunnels in Lecco often split in two different direction underground! We'd pop out and my buddy (he had the GPS) would say, "nope, we picked the wrong one, gotta turn around." I didn't think we'd ever get out of that town. It didn't help that it was about 85 degrees F. and we were dressed for the mountains. A day later I almost dropped the bike coming down Stelvio when I was forced to stop mid-switch back for a couple of bicycle riders, but I managed to stay upright.

About Edelweiss, frankly I was a bit disappointed. My rental was a Triumph Tiger 800 that had seen better days. It was tired with over 23km on the clock, and had been dropped several times by the look of it. The individual that was supposed to check us out on departure day didn't show, so it was up to a service tech to take our paperwork, etc. No checkout on the bikes at all. I had never ridden the Triumph and had no idea how to change the ride modes. The day we started it was raining (the only bad day, thank goodness!) so I guessed at "rain mode" on the TFT screen. Then, back at our hotel, I found out both panners were half full of water! The right one had been tweaked by a fall, and would not unlatch without force. I was afraid I'd break off the key, so simply didn't use that panner for the remainder of the trip. The clutch was shot, with only the tiniest frictions zone at the end of the lever. And believe me, in the Alps you need good clutch feel! My buddy rented a BMW F850gs which was in better shape. I enjoyed the engine on the Triumph, but my example was well past its "sell-by date."

All in all, speaking as a complete euro-novice, I'd say if you're thinking about it, find a way to do it. I should have gone over years ago when I was much younger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts