R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else get excessive vibration through their right foot peg on the R1250GS?

I have the R1250GS Rallye with the HP Billet pack which also includes the rubber inserts in the foot pegs that are sprung loaded. To date it I have done 8500 miles on it and it has been like it from new.
The vibrating I am talking about is only through the right foot peg and is of very high frequency; I can only describe it as being like an orbital sander.
After about an hours riding I find that I'm having to reposition my foot to get relief.

I ride on the balls of my feet, changing position for breaking and gear changing only; always have. My boots have quite thick soles; I do not feel it through the left foot peg.

I have been riding for years and I have had a lot of different bikes one of which was a 2004 R1200GS on which I did over 36,000 miles in a year.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a1250GS HP. I have no right footpeg vibration other than the vibration that normally one can feel on both footpegs on a bike with a boxer engine. My bike is not a Rallye and I don’t see where the bike in the photo is either. Is the splash of blue on the cylinder head the billet pac?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a1250GS HP. I have no right footpeg vibration other than the vibration that normally one can feel on both footpegs on a bike with a boxer engine. My bike is not a Rallye and I don’t see where the bike in the photo is either. Is the splash of blue on the cylinder head the billet pac?
Yes it is.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The HP Billet Pack consists of:
Milled cylinder head covers (with milled coil covers, oil filler cap and plastic grinders)
Milled covers for the brake and clutch reservoirs
Adjustable footrests with replaceable inserts
Black anodised mirrors
Milled engine front cover
Adjustable brake and gear levers
Adjustable brake and clutch levers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The HP Billet Pack consists of:
Milled cylinder head covers (with milled coil covers, oil filler cap and plastic grinders)
Milled covers for the brake and clutch reservoirs
Adjustable footrests with replaceable inserts
Black anodised mirrors
Milled engine front cover
Adjustable brake and gear levers
Adjustable brake and clutch levers
That’s great but are you experiencing any excessive vibration through the right foot peg?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps the dealer can help?
This is such a useful forum. Thank you for your advice Rick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, cannot found any informations on French Forum about excessive vibrations, your issue seems to be very rare.

Sorry.

Philippe

·
Super Awesom Person
530 Posts
This is such a useful forum. Thank you for your advice Rick.
Actually a lot of people come on this and another forum I frequent and ask about a problem they are having. Once it is determined that the problem is unusual for a new bike and it's still under warinty it should be taken to the dealer. When we're talking about motor mounts I think the dealer should get involved. While yours doesn't have any crash bars I have had crash bars mounted to motor mounts cause vibration. By loosening the mount bolts and shifting the motor a bit can sometimes help it also sometimes causes more vibration. I don't recommend any of that. I do think that now we have determined it isn't normal it might be time to contact the dealer and see what they say. It is after all on warinty. WARNING I guarantee if you try to fix it yourself and fail they won't touch it and will enter the problem into the computer and no dealer will touch it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is there any correlation between the motor’s RPM and the right peg’s vibration frequency; i.e., does the problem get worse at higher RPMs?

Great looking bike BTW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there any correlation between the motor’s RPM and the right peg’s vibration frequency; i.e., does the problem get worse at higher RPMs?

Great looking bike BTW.
Hi, thank you. I only notice it after around an hour of riding. I’m not going out on it much at the moment, due to lockdown. The next time I’m on it I’ll check it in more detail.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had a couple of VFR750 back in the 90s. Both were were very smooth but I did ride a friend’s VFR which had horrendous vibrations through one of the foot pegs. I do recall that Honda had a batch of bikes with this issue. Something to do with the transmission but can’t recall precisely what.

Sorry, this is absolutely no help to you but there is definitely something wrong with your bike and you should get the dealer to sort it. Have owned four GS’ and non have had a hint of vibration through the pegs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually a lot of people come on this and another forum I frequent and ask about a problem they are having. Once it is determined that the problem is unusual for a new bike and it's still under warinty it should be taken to the dealer. When we're talking about motor mounts I think the dealer should get involved. While yours doesn't have any crash bars I have had crash bars mounted to motor mounts cause vibration. By loosening the mount bolts and shifting the motor a bit can sometimes help it also sometimes causes more vibration. I don't recommend any of that. I do think that now we have determined it isn't normal it might be time to contact the dealer and see what they say. It is after all on warinty. WARNING I guarantee if you try to fix it yourself and fail they won't touch it and will enter the problem into the computer and no dealer will touch it.
Great advice, thank you Rick
I had a couple of VFR750 back in the 90s. Both were were very smooth but I did ride a friend’s VFR which had horrendous vibrations through one of the foot pegs. I do recall that Honda had a batch of bikes with this issue. Something to do with the transmission but can’t recall precisely what.

Sorry, this is absolutely no help to you but there is definitely something wrong with your bike and you should get the dealer to sort it. Have owned four GS’ and non have had a hint of vibration through the pegs.
Thank you; it is of use, it is confirming that I shouldn't just put up with it as I have been doing.
Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bruce,
I'm not surprised you feel so much vibrations through the pegs considering that they have no rubber cushion on them. I had the stock (non HP billet package) foot pegs and they felt like knife blades going through my feet. Also, felt vibration.
I put on the pegs as shown and completely solved the problem, no pain, vibrations, nothing...very comfortable.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts