R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone -- posted this on ADV but haven't received a response so far.

This is my first post so here it goes

thanks in advance

So here are the details. I bought a used 2005 R1200GS and I've been going through the bike. Had to send the shaft off to be rebuilt and now I am going through and doing all the obvious stuff.

Details:

1. 38K miles

2. Bike runs good -- pulls like it should.

3. The Charcoal canister was removed and not properly plugged (not good)

4. I haven't had a chance to check the valves -- no rear wheel on account of the shaft being rebuilt

5. All maintenance done by dealer

6. The plugs looked good. Last valve job was done about 3k miles ago

7. no burnt oil exiting the tail pipe.

As I pulled off the valve covers I notice the following. Anyone seen this before? exhaust side is running hot. Hope I haven't burned a valve or two. After I do the valves Ill do a compression test.

I have the front belt cover removed. Can anyone think of a good reason why I shouldn't rotate the engine via the pulley so I can check the valves today

comments??

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I think you may be worrying too much. Go ahead and rotate the engine with the pulley. I did it that way about 1/2 the time when doing normal service because it is easier that bumping the wheel, especially when you have the front cover off, anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you may be worrying too much. Go ahead and rotate the engine with the pulley. I did it that way about 1/2 the time when doing normal service because it is easier that bumping the wheel, especially when you have the front cover off, anyway.
forgot about the ability to put it in neutral to do it so trans shaft wont spin. I was going to do it anyway but after wrenching for a long time I have learned to think twice about doing something different.

Yeah, I know, spinning trans shaft wont hurt anything either.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
250 Posts
If the exhaust valves were too tight, meaning higher temperatures inside the head, you might want to change the oil after adjusting them. The oil degrades faster when submitted to high temp.

·
Survivor
711 Posts
I do not see anything to be concerned about. I've done many valve shecks and adjustments on the Hexhead 1200s and everything looks normal to me.

Be certain to rotate the engine in its normal direction when using the pulley. Also you should have a feeler gage in both valves (intake or exhaus)t while checking one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts