R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'18 R1200GS, '14 Honda Interceptor
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the second news article saying fuel will be scarce here in the US this summer. So for my cross-country trip I'd like an emergency stash of fuel.* The Rotopax won't work for me. The Touratech option is slick, but way expensive (surprise!). Anybody have experience with the desert fox "gas bags?" (Joke redacted.)

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

* I plan to gas up at 1/2 tank, but you never know...

·
Registered
179 Posts
"Fuel Bladders" are generally not rated for long term fuel storage. I haven't seen anything other than gas going to be more expensive.

·
Registered
826 Posts
So what happens when you exhaust your auxilliary fuel supply and there's no gas to replenish it? I guess if its a bladder type you could inflate it and use it as a pillow to sleep on until the next fuel truck arrives.

·
Super Awesom Person
680 Posts
On my trip to Alaska I plan to take an extra two gallons. I bought the Rotopax that holds 1.7 gal but that thing is way too heavy.
I also bought a square 2 gallon plastic gas tank from the Trackter Supply store for ten bucks. I think that's the ticket. I twill fit into my left Vario bag just fine.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Again carrying extra fuel to get some extended range is great but if there is a "shortage" unless you carry enough for the entire round trip carriying one extra drop over OEM capacity is moot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what happens when you exhaust your auxilliary fuel supply and there's no gas to replenish it? I guess if its a bladder type you could inflate it and use it as a pillow to sleep on until the next fuel truck arrives.
Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
946 Posts
On my trip to Alaska I plan to take an extra two gallons. I bought the Rotopax that holds 1.7 gal but that thing is way too heavy.
I also bought a square 2 gallon plastic gas tank from the Trackter Supply store for ten bucks. I think that's the ticket. I twill fit into my left Vario bag just fine.
We made the decision to never pass a gas station if we were half tank or less and the only place we came close to a fuel problem was that there's no gas on the Cassier Highway from the Yellowhead Highway up to Meziadin Junction so don't pass the last one before you make that turn. We did the trip in April before some of the places were open but still found gas anytime we wanted it. Standard 1200GS with no extra fuel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
+1 what @PerazziMx14 is saying if fuel sourcing is your primary concern. There is no mitigation step here unless you plan to ride within your fuel window. If fuel is scarce in remote areas......it will almost certainly be scarce in your immediate home area as well.

I only carry extra fuel onboard my pickup when travelling across country towing heavy or on my true dualsport bike when stitching together forest service roads. My truck bed has extra 5gal cans. My DS bike had a 3.7gal tank....so built in capacity with the larger tank.

My $0.02 = carry an empty (small, 1gal) plastic gas can, siphon tube & $20 cash. No weight or fuel spill worries. You can almost certainly run across someone on a walk or roadside that will either allow you siphon a gallon or take you & your can to a fuel station. It will also make siphoning fuel possible when your empty small tank is on the ground and not 3ft or more up like the fuel filler neck of a big GS bike where it may be impossible to promote fuel flow. $20 for 1gal of fuel is hard for anyone to pass up! I've had to do it myself before. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1 what @PerazziMx14 is saying if fuel sourcing is your primary concern. There is no mitigation step here unless you plan to ride within your fuel window. If fuel is scarce in remote areas......it will almost certainly be scarce in your immediate home area as well.

I only carry extra fuel onboard my pickup when travelling across country towing heavy or on my true dualsport bike when stitching together forest service roads. My truck bed has extra 5gal cans. My DS bike had a 3.7gal tank....so built in capacity with the larger tank.

My $0.02 = carry an empty (small, 1gal) plastic gas can, siphon tube & $20 cash. No weight or fuel spill worries. You can almost certainly run across someone on a walk or roadside that will either allow you siphon a gallon or take you & your can to a fuel station. It will also make siphoning fuel possible when your empty small tank is on the ground and not 3ft or more up like the fuel filler neck of a big GS bike where it may be impossible to promote fuel flow. $20 for 1gal of fuel is hard for anyone to pass up! I've had to do it myself before. Good luck.
Great idea, thanks. I've added a syphon hose to my packing list. And really I worded the question poorly. I should have kept it short and asked "what method do you like for carrying an extra gallon of gas?"

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have never had the need, but If I needed a little extra to get me to a gas station, it would be a fuel bottle or two in my panniers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Apologies if my replies specifically were taken as sarcastic, unforgiving, tough or whatever. Absolutely not the intent or even the nature of my reply. Genuine attempt in trying to answer the OP with an alternate solution that might be a little out of the box and keep him safer when considering transporting fuel. It was a great question! Got some great answers!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
It won't be scarce, but it will be more expensive as everyone ventures out for that long overdue road trip.
View attachment 29711
Fuel (gasoline, petrol) availability at certain gas stations could be an issue for some time because of the shortage of trained fuel truck drivers in the USA. There is good chance that gas stations in remote areas may have difficulty refilling the underground tanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a two-gallon GAS BAG from Giant Loop in Oregon, worked perfect for my ride up through the Northwest Terr. Yukon, Coldfoot and Deadhorse. I used large S/S hose clamps, three-inch ABS plumbing pipe and expanding end caps used by plumbers for testing waste & vent stacks. Put the pipe inside the left hand Touratech box bracket. Had many other adventure riders drop their jaw when I showed them what was in the black pipe as they looked at their strapped gallon jugs or Rotopax bolted on the rack of their bike. These are empty 85% of the time if you plan correctly, fill up, burn off a half a tank, stop to look at the duck on the pond then empty into your main tank. Roll up, and slide back into your pipe, which also holds a flexible spout, easy peasy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts