R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seven months of usage, the ezCan module stopped working. I checked the power wires from the module to the battery terminals - they are solid, and the fuse is intact. I also connected the unit to a laptop to find out that the app doesn't recognize that the ezCan is attached to the PC.

I am waiting for Hex ezCan to get back to me on this. In the meantime, any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All I can say is I've found their support to be excellent so I doubt you'd have any issues in getting a warranty replacement. I've had mine for a few years now and its just started to show some signs of failing, my additional lights sometimes wont come on straight away but when I look after riding for a while they will be on. Once it fails completely I'll buy the new version i guess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish they had a toll free number in the US.....The only way to communicate with them here seems to be via email which is not the quick turn around needed in case of real failures.

·
Survivor
710 Posts
Spousal Unit’s Gen 1 ezCAN failed after 3 years. The auxiliary lights would come on only sporadically. I worked with their help desk staff over a period of three weeks. It took that long because it normally took 3-4 days for them to respond to my emails. They ultimately decided the device was faulty. It was well out of warranty but they offered me a 15% discount if I bought a new one, but I had to buy from their online store in the UK. If I bought from the UK store the ezCAN cost, with shipping, $270US. They ship with DHL which does not operate in my area and I can only guess how long it would take to get it to Montana. I could (and ultimately did) buy from a US vender for $199 with free shipping, and I had the new ezCAN in three days. They should know better than to make such an offer which just further delayed resolution of the issue and served only to irritate me.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Spousal Unit’s Gen 1 ezCAN failed after 3 years. The auxiliary lights would come on only sporadically. I worked with their help desk staff over a period of three weeks. It took that long because it normally took 3-4 days for them to respond to my emails. They ultimately decided the device was faulty. It was well out of warranty but they offered me a 15% discount if I bought a new one, but I had to buy from their online store in the UK. If I bought from the UK store the ezCAN cost, with shipping, $270US. They ship with DHL which does not operate in my area and I can only guess how long it would take to get it to Montana. I could (and ultimately did) buy from a US vender for $199 with free shipping, and I had the new ezCAN in three days. They should know better than to make such an offer which just further delayed resolution of the issue and served only to irritate me.
I agree absolutley.....resolution should be quick and without hassle......

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, if I bought an electronic gizmo for $200 and it failed after 3 years and they didn’t offer me a 50% discount on replacement, I’d never buy another product from them again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As FYI to the group, the unit stopped working the morning after the bike was parked outside during a recent fall foliage trip and the temperature dropped to about 32F. I sure hope this is just a coincidence.....

ezCan did get back to me with a suggestion which didn't work, waiting to hear the next step from them.....

"Could you please disconnect the device from your RDC connectors and pull the fuse out, leave it disconnected for around 5 min, then connect it to your PC using the supplied micro USB cable (it needs to be a data cable if you have another cable to test with). Does the PC recognize the device?"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update - HEX ezCan determined that the unit is dead and a replacement is on its way from the main US distributor beemershop.com. Fairly painless process except that I had to pay for shipping the defective module back, beemershop will pay for shipping the new unit to me.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
148 Posts
I'm on my fourth unit now in 36,000 miles. All replaced under warranty by HEX.
If/When this one fails I will go back to a relay operated power source like a PDM60 and forego all the CANBUS interface features. It takes about a month to work through the warranty process each time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts