R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2016. R1200GSA
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any market for these? Considering removing the factory racks and going with an aftermarket one that doesn’t require a separate adapter for the Mosko Moto Panniers. Just figuring the adapter is just one more place for things to get loose and rattle.

· Registered
167 Posts
Yes, I would consider there to be a market for 'gently used' ones. I meet several riders with soft or non-OEM saddle bags looking for the hard panniers, but cringe at the cost or complain that the used ones look like they came out of a SA warzone. I usually recommend searching eBay for Givi sets, but many I've seen for sale were rather worn and being replaced for newer ones. (I think Givi makes the OEM version for BMW, but not positive)

· Riding a 2009 R1200gs
853 Posts
A few years ago, I have converted my GS Varios to GSA aluminum panniers... purchasing a used GSA factory rack. It took me month to find one for sale, I guess there is a market for theses.

· Registered
2017 White GSA
1,621 Posts
Any market for these? Considering removing the factory racks and going with an aftermarket one that doesn’t require a separate adapter for the Mosko Moto Panniers. Just figuring the adapter is just one more place for things to get loose and rattle.
My adapter plate has never come lose or rattled.

· Registered
53 Posts
I just contacted Mosko Moto concerning their rackless Panniers. I asked if it was required to remove the OEM rack from my '17GSA to install their Rackless system. They said No, and that the rack did give their system more stability and anchor points. So I've decided to leave mine on, this way I can switch back and forth as needed without the hassel of uninstalling/reinstalling the rack.

· Registered
BMW R1200 GS TE
23 Posts
I'm in a slightly different position as I have the OEM pannier racks and the box panniers, but don't know what I need to fit them to the bike. I'm missing a fitting kit and a crossbar between the racks I think, but not sure. Anyone got any suggestions or diagrams? Its a 2016 GS with Varios at the moment.

· Administrator
2,092 Posts
I'm in a slightly different position as I have the OEM pannier racks and the box panniers, but don't know what I need to fit them to the bike. I'm missing a fitting kit and a crossbar between the racks I think, but not sure. Anyone got any suggestions or diagrams? Its a 2016 GS with Varios at the moment.
Google MaxBMW Parts Fiche, all the diagrams will be there. You will likely need to select a GSA for the bike.

· Registered
BMW R1200 GS TE
23 Posts
Many thanks. I believe I have solved the issue now by making a couple of small brackets and spacers to attach to the rear sets and bolt to the front bracket. Just waiting on some longer stainless bolts to arrive.

The issue is that I have a musical instrument case that won’t fit in the Varios, but slots into the big box perfectly, where I can lock it away safely. I normally tour with the Varios, but I teach music during the week and play in various bands in the evenings, so transporting instruments securely is the issue.

However with all the help I have received on the forum, I’ve got a good solution which doesn’t interfere with the Vario fittings at all.

Thanks all.

· Registered
BMW R1200 GS TE
23 Posts
Results of my rack change from Vario to scaffolding: BMW told me that I also need new rear indicators and to remove the Vario bracket fitted to the rear sets. NEITHER OF THESE ARE NEEDED. My new scaffolding fits above the rear sets easily and the indicators are not impeded either.
HOWEVER when you open the lids of the boxes they do touch on the original grab handles which curve outwards slightly. Just bend the lid a little as it opens and it avoids contact. (Also tape on the grab handles to protect accidental damage).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts