R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: What I should have asked instead: Is your GS lowered? If so, do you take it off road, and have you ever felt the lowered suspension limited your off (or on for that matter) road enjoyment of the machine?

My 2016 R1200GS is factory lowered. After almost 3 (supercalafragalistic) years with the bike, even at only 5'8" (5'9" when it's real hot out) I suspect going with the lowered suspension was a mistake. Does anyone know:

1. What the factory lowering option entails?
2. What is involved in 'undoing' the factory lowering?
3. Opinion piece: would you pay to 'undo' the factory lowering or just trade the machine in?

·
Registered
683 Posts
My 2016 R1200GS is factory lowered. After almost 3 (supercalafragalistic) years with the bike, even at only 5'8" (5'9" when it's real hot out) I suspect going with the lowered suspension was a mistake. Does anyone know:

3. Opinion piece: would you pay to 'undo' the factory lowering or just trade the machine in?
Why do you consider it a mistake?
Factory lowered has different shocks and a lowered seat.....I think

·
Registered
15 Posts
Factory lowered

I have a 2017 R1200GSA, and I have the factory lowered suspension and love it. I can now sit on the bike and put both feet flat on the ground with my 28" inseam. I wasn't even able to do that with an RT from 2008 on. The front and rear shocks are shorter, as is the side stand. Am unsure of the center stand, and my seat is the standard one with 2 settings-not lowered. I keep the shocks set on either normal or soft ride which allows bike to sit lower, and on single rider. All this keeps my ride lower, but the low seat only lowers the seat which makes ones knees to be more bent like a jockey and for me that is uncomfortable.

·
Super Awesom Person
561 Posts

I would sell it to another height challenged person and get a new one. The new TFT display alone is worth a new bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Or better still, spend less than the cost of the upgrade to a new bike on custom suspension from Touratech or the likes, You’ll have a bike specifically tuned to you, with better suspension than a new bike with standard height suspension. And you can always transfer the suspension to a second or third generation 1250, when the bugs have been ironed out. I suspect however you’ll need to replace or mod your side stand-minor really. The TFT is nice but not a reason to trade in.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do you consider it a mistake?
Factory lowered has different shocks and a lowered seat.....I think
"Mistake" is probably a bit strong ... I should have asked: For those of you with a factory lowered bike, do you take them off road, and have you ever felt the lowered suspension was a limitation? The gist being: I want to start riding my bike off the pavement, and I want to use my own bike to do the level 1 GS course.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2017 R1200GSA, and I have the factory lowered suspension and love it. I can now sit on the bike and put both feet flat on the ground with my 28" inseam. I wasn't even able to do that with an RT from 2008 on. The front and rear shocks are shorter, as is the side stand. Am unsure of the center stand, and my seat is the standard one with 2 settings-not lowered. I keep the shocks set on either normal or soft ride which allows bike to sit lower, and on single rider. All this keeps my ride lower, but the low seat only lowers the seat which makes ones knees to be more bent like a jockey and for me that is uncomfortable.
Interesting ... mine came with the low seat. Part of my original calculus was: I could swap out the low seat for the regular one of I wanted / needed a plusher ride and / or more open knee angle. That said, I keep my low seat in its high position all the time (lowered suspension + low seat + high seat position), which I believe is the same seat height as low seat + low position + normal suspension (on the GS at least ... probably different on the GSA).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or better still, spend less than the cost of the upgrade to a new bike on custom suspension from Touratech or the likes, You’ll have a bike specifically tuned to you, with better suspension than a new bike with standard height suspension. And you can always transfer the suspension to a second or third generation 1250, when the bugs have been ironed out. I suspect however you’ll need to replace or mod your side stand-minor really. The TFT is nice but not a reason to trade in.
That thought has crossed my mind. I recently watched Bret Tkacs' suspension videos with Ted Porter from Beemershop and thought "I too want the very best possible suspension that money can buy." Looks like the Touratech shop in Bromont, QC has closed its doors, but there seems to be another one in Montreal now (could be the same people, just moved).

·
Registered
683 Posts
My friend has a factory lowered 1250 and we have traveled offroad together in hostile terrain.....and he has been just fine

·
Registered
69 Posts
Edit: What I should have asked instead: Is your GS lowered? If so, do you take it off road, and have you ever felt the lowered suspension limited your off (or on for that matter) road enjoyment of the machine?

Im 5'11 @ 140Lbs and my lightly used, when I got it, 17 has the shorter shocks. I've about 700miles off pavement so far. With some hard ruts, woops at speed and what not along the way. And so far so good. :grin2:
I say get out there and find out 1st hand b4 spending monster bucks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback everyone. As @JMB711 says, I'll just get off road and go from there. Well travelled gravel & dirt roads to start so no problem there. Getting some 50/50-ish rubber this week which will, if nothing else, make me feel way cooler. Long Way Round Eastern Ontario coming soon on Netflix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a factory lowered 2012 that I bought used in 2013. Wasn’t looking for a lowered model, but the bike was otherwise exactly what I was looking for and had just 94 miles on it so the $15k I paid was worth it. It turns out, I love it and am really happy I ended up with a lowered model.

Factory lowered entails a lowered suspension and the low seat.

The low seat was awful and I put a Bill Meyer on it right away. Standard saddles fit the lowered bikes. It’s only the seat that is lower not the mechanics underneath. I’m pretty sure all they did to make the low seat was to take padding out and remove the ability to adjust the height. It’s was the most uncomfortable saddle I’ve ever ridden. The Meyer is awesome though.

The lower travel in the suspension actually makes the bike ride better on roads. I think it corners better. I think the balance is better. I think it carries weight better since it’s all a bit lower. It’s by definition a bit less top heavy. I’ve ridden the non lowered version in different countries over a wide amount of terrain So I have a lot to compare my bike to. My assessment in the end has been that these bikes are so heavy and big that the extra suspension travel is not giving you much advantage because the gnarliest of roads and paths would simply be better on a smaller, lighter bike anyway.

I’ve never had a problem with dirt roads and the light off-roading with the lowered suspension bike and on the standard suspension bikes I just don’t feel I’m gaining anything in versatility because the weight and size of the bike is more limiting Than losing an inch or two of suspension travel.

Converting it after the fact entails basically a new front end. You can do it but I certainly don’t plan to on mine. It’s really expensive from what I remember when I looked into it when I first bought the bike.

And once you change to a standard seat, your riding position becomes the same as the standard. It’s still lower to the ground but your legs are in the normal position when riding.

So I would get a better saddle and keep the suspension as is.

Good luck. YMMV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 R1250GS low model and love it. Just returned from a 2 1/2 day DBR trip with 15 other bikes that included mine and normal GS, normal GSA, BMW 800, Bmw 850 and a couple of African Twins. My low R1250GS rode the same gravel roads, river beds, off roads hills and trails with the same ease or challenges of the other bikes. My height is 5"8'' and I weight 155 lbs and zero issues with the 541 lb low 1250.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lowered suspension

I’m 5’ 8” with 30” inseam. I’ve had 2 lowered GS’s. A 2008 that I bought new with standard suspension. I could never get the stock suspension dialed in. So I ordered Hyperpros and had them lowered 1.5”. That totally transformed the bikes ride and handling. And I could flat foot the bike which was great. The kick stand was too long so parking was always a delicate endeavor.

This year I bought a used 2015 with 2000 miles on it. Based on my experience with the ‘08, I got the factory lowered suspension. I love it. I’ve ridden a few hundred miles of rutted rocky forest service roads here in Colorado with a ridding buddy with a standard suspension GS. No issues at all. No bottoming or lack of clearance. And being able to flat foot the bike on uneven terrain is a big plus. Holding up a 550 lb plus bike on uneven rocky on slick ground is much easier with your feet fully on the ground instead of doing so on your tip toes.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a 2019 R1250GS low model and love it. Just returned from a 2 1/2 day DBR trip with 15 other bikes that included mine and normal GS, normal GSA, BMW 800, Bmw 850 and a couple of African Twins. My low R1250GS rode the same gravel roads, river beds, off roads hills and trails with the same ease or challenges of the other bikes. My height is 5"8'' and I weight 155 lbs and zero issues with the 541 lb low 1250.
What's DBR?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts