R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R1250GS is now 6 months old. It has only 3000 miles.
When I ride over some imperfections on paved road, just a small imperfections like cracks or tar snakes, I feel only on my footpegs that something is wobbling. I can't hear it, just feel it on my feet. Any surface that is rough, like pot holes or similar, I don't feel anything.
I checked all the bolts I could see. I have SW Motech lower and upper crash bars. They're tight too. I don't have side cases, only top box but I tried riding without it and it's the same.
I lifted the rear and tried moving the rear wheel and hitting the tyre from the side all over it but everything seems tight. Can't reproduce the wobbling.
Now, after 40 years of riding and owning many bikes, this is my first shaft driven bike.
Does it come from the shaft, being completely normal to feel it? Or, do I have a problem, like swing arm or something else and should pay a visit to my dealer?
I don't feel it any place else on the bike, only on foot pegs. I tried preesing shift and brake pedals from the sides by my feet, thinking maybe one of them makes that wobble but nothing changed. I still feel wobbling riding over road imperfections.
Maybe it's just me owning my frist shaft driven bike.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Check the tire pressure with a known accurate gauge. Do not rely on the TMPS being spot on accurate. If the tires check out then since its new and presumably under warranty maybe a ride over to the local BMW dealership to have them check it over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I ride over some imperfections on paved road, just a small imperfections like cracks or tar snakes, I feel only on my footpegs that something is wobbling. I can't hear it, just feel it on my feet. Any surface that is rough, like pot holes or similar, I don't feel anything.
I checked all the bolts I could see. I have SW Motech lower and upper crash bars. They're tight too. I don't have side cases, only top box but I tried riding without it and it's the same.
I lifted the rear and tried moving the rear wheel and hitting the tyre from the side all over it but everything seems tight. Can't reproduce the wobbling.
Now, after 40 years of riding and owning many bikes, this is my first shaft driven bike.
Does it come from the shaft, being completely normal to feel it? Or, do I have a problem, like swing arm or something else and should pay a visit to my dealer?
I don't feel it any place else on the bike, only on foot pegs. I tried preesing shift and brake pedals from the sides by my feet, thinking maybe one of them makes that wobble but nothing changed. I still feel wobbling riding over road imperfections.
Thanks
I just purchased a new 2021 R1250GSA. Only have 500+ miles on it. Yup, I have the same condition. It's not all the time, every now and then I get a tapping coming from the right foot peg. Can only feel it in that location. I too looked at just about everything. My first guess was perhaps a critical bolt was under torqued. The real problem is that I cannot replicate it on demand. Let me know if you get to the bottom of it. If I figure it out I will share my information with you. Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 R1250GS
34 Posts
Thanks
I have a 2020 GS with about 7000km. For me too, it's the first shaft driven. And I too sometimes feel like something is slightly loose.

The OEM front A41 is almost done and won't do the 3000km trip coming next week so I've replaced the OEM A41s for a pair of Angel GTs. But I don't think the feeling comes from the tire.

My guess is that this feeling comes from the shaft. Only on even throttle at slow city speed. Never happens when the engine has a charge, either accelerating or decelerating. The feeling is different from a chain.

I'm sure you're OK. If you worry, next time you pass by your dealer, stop by and ask the service manager to go on a quick test ride...

Ride safe,

JFS.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I feel a bit more relaxed as I see there are others that noticed the same issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Perhaps it is the side stand or center stand moving when the ground is rough? Personally I have done 700miles on mine and noticed nothing. 2021 1250GS Rallye X

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had both stands tight with a rope already. It's still the same. Tried few different tire pressures today, still the same. Talked to a friend of mine that owns 1200GS and he said that it was completely normal as he feels it too sometimes on his bike.

·
Registered
120 Posts
+1 on the center stand feeling loose. I ran across a fellow GS ride that was missing the C-clip (E-clip?) on the rear footpegs. So the pins on the passenger pegs were working their way out. Perhaps you can check for this too. You might feel this in the front pegs. You are likely not feeling anything over rough surfaces or potholes since the entire bike moves and not just a very subtle feeling. In other words, if you hit a pothole.....you'll feel it everywhere....not just the pegs which you're focusing on now.

You can easily apply very light pressure on the center stand from the left side of the bike while in motion to see if this remedies the feeling. Obviously be EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO LEAN or otherwise make contact between the center stand and the road surface. Or just have a friend 'thunk' the center stand in your garage with you sitting on the bike to see if this replicates the feeling. The center stand is the looseness that I feel that only makes sense to what you're describing.

Good luck! Please report back if you figure it out so we can all learn from your findings. Enjoy your new bike!

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I said, I did one ride with center stand and side stand firmly tight with piece of rope to the frame and it made no difference at all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks
If you have spoked wheels you should check the tightness of each spoke by tapping with a wrench or screw driver,
listening for a nice ring from each one. If you hear some dull thuds go directly to your dealer for wheel replacement under warranty. My friend and I both with 2018 R1200GS Rallye's had wheels replaced with less than 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I have cast wheels.
Just found on another thread that there is a pin inside the center stand bracket that is loose when center stand is retracted. Securing center stand to the frame (what I did) doesn't make a difference. Will look this weekend for that pin and try to secure it to see if it makes a difference.
Others found that their ESA was rotating too much and hitting the frame, producing that knocking feeling in the pegs. Well, it can't be my case as I dont have ESA on my bike. Will focus on center stand.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update.
After I've done driveshaft splines greasing (with a lot of grease), front and rear of the shaft, 90% of the problem has gone. So, it made me sure that what I felt on the pegs is the movement on driveshaft splines.
Now I feel it rarely and just a little. For me, there is definitely relation between those two things.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the post. I noticed the same thing on my GS1200. It only has 5000K's on it, well nearly 6000 now, and had all the proper services from new so I wasn't expecting to have to grease up the driveshaft splines just yet but looks like that's the culprit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts