R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I found a 2005 R1200GS that was in pristine condition (or so I thought) with only 12,500 miles on it. It looked like brand new and came with a full set of Vario's to boot. After putting about 2500 miles on it the final drive got noisy and the rear wheel started coming loose. After being told by my local BMW Stealership that my only recourse was a complete final drive replacement at around $2000.00, I was totally pissed at BMW and myself for buying this POS. Enter into the picture the wonderful fellows at Beemers and More out of Fort Collins,Co who turned me on to the fact that my final drive was more than likely just fine and all I needed to do was replace the hub itself on the splined shaft that is part of the final drive. I checked the play in the wheel( I'm no mechanic) and they were right!!. I ordered the part from them for $150.00 and followed their simple instructions-that was 7000 miles ago and still no problems. Bmw apparently won't fix them like this because of liability BS. I'm sure had I posted this issue on this forum properly I would have gotten this answer here instead of pulling my hair out with BMW but I thought I'd just pass this along......

·
Registered
402 Posts
That's awesome! I love independent shops, they tend to be run by enthusiasts, rather than a bunch of suits, who've never had grease under their nails. Congratulations on tackling the job yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Part specification

Hi, i think I could have the same problem. Please what was the exactly part that you have replaced?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Did you really expect BMW to cover a bike that is 16 years old?

Is the splined hub was the issue and was aluminum the folks you hold in high regard actually screwed you as this is a factory recall that is free of charge no matter the age of the bike.The aluminum unit is replaced with a more robust steel unit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How would one know if this hub recall was performed on your bike??? The dealership should be able to look up the vin and advise me correct??

Javvy

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Type you VIN number into the link below and it'll tell you if there are any open recalls.

You can also check to see if the rear aluminum hub (prone to cracking if the wheel lugs were torqued past the recommend 44 Ft/LBS) was replaced with steel unit. Even if was replaced the recall can still be open as it is possible a previous owner did the replacment and bought the parts himself. I know this for a fact as the 2008 GSA I bought 5 days ago has a steel hub on it and the old aluminum one is sitting on the lift and when I run the VIN the recall is open. I wish the guy had the receipt as i could get BMW to reimburse me for the part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good to hear man, and nice to know there is another option out in NOCO, BMW dealer is a little steep on anything to include oil changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts