R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 1200GSA and I do most of the maintenance myself. Per the owner's manual and shop manual I have always put 180ml of final drive fluid in when changing. I recently took it to the dealer to fix a final drive leak which turned out to be the shaft seal. The mechanic put 200ml of fluid back in the final drive. When I questioned him about it and said the owner's manual and shop manual says 180ml he and the other mechanic insisted it is 200ml. Has there been a service bulletin issued by BMW that would have changed this or are the mechanics just wrong? I know years ago 200ml was the amount but it was my understanding that 180ml has been the volume since 2010 or so. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read somewhere and pre 2014 non vented is 180ml recommended and so vented, 200ml used when FD is new and no fluid in it.if you worried then 190ml is the answer, I have been using 190ml on MY16RT

Tony

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Survivor
843 Posts
When in doubt follow the manuals. Ask the mechanics to show the bulletin that changed the fluid level. I suspect they will/can not do so.

·
Registered
2016 GS, 2017 RT, 2019 Triumph Speed Twin
8 Posts
How warm does your final drive get? I'm using fresh and proper oil. At 75MPH and 80° the final drive is warm-hot to the touch. I can leave my hand on it but if it was much hotter I couldn't leave my palm on it. Normal?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think these 20ml difference are not so critical, if there is a volume just put it. More preferable for me is oil to be 75W140 then 75W90. My mechanic recommend 75W140. After first change of final drive oil, shavings that are on ABS sensor was half then when I use 75W90. Just practical is better, and thermal result is the same.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Initial fill is 200 and then 180 after that (in my 2017 service manual). So they cleaned and repaired the final drive so 200 the first time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the response I received from the dealer today. "I spoke with my technicians yesterday and reached out to our BMW representative. They all said that yes, the spec is 180 ml but it is taught to the technicians that it is completely safe and acceptable to pour the entire bottle of 200 ml into the hub as this will not cause it to be overfilled or cause any damage whatsoever".

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,245 Posts
I wonder how much of that 200ml remains in the bottle after?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The spec was reduced to 180ml ages ago because supposedly the original 220ml could cause damage to seals due to pressure in unvented FDs. The spec is still 180ml for all bikes including 1250s. Are the LC drives vented? An extra 20 ml is probably no big deal either way, but I go with the spec values for my own maintenance.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Newer bikes being vented means they cannot build pressure like the unvented drives. The pressure if great enough was know to poosh the seal out and leak fluid. No pressure no pooshing.

180, 200, 220 or even 500cc's is most likely not an issue. The excess will be expelled through the vent.

·
Survivor
843 Posts
Newer bikes being vented means they cannot build pressure like the unvented drives. The pressure if great enough was know to poosh the seal out and leak fluid. No pressure no pooshing.

180, 200, 220 or even 500cc's is most likely not an issue. The excess will be expelled through the vent.
You are probably correct that the increased volume of oil most likely is not an issue, but "probably" and "most likely" are not the best standards to use for maintaining a machine, IMHO. Increasing the oil volume most likely will not enhance the reliability or durability of the FD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts