R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i started doing my annual gear box and final drive service, i got a little bored and ended up removing the whole final drive, was just keen to give bearings a look over, was nice to do , heres some photos
Tool Nickel Automotive exhaust Gas Auto part

Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Tire Automotive tire Liquid Motor vehicle Fluid

White Automotive tire Light Crankset Vehicle brake

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle Bumper

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Shoe Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
1,718 Posts
Nice to get a good look at the swingarm bearings and repack with fresh grease.

All the u-joints seem to move nice and smooth? When I first got mine I had a very slight notch'y-ness, kept an eye on it and on the second final drive service it was smooth so not sure what caused that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i think i got lucky, the bearings look fine and feel smooth, i sprayef inner part of taper bearing with high temp grease, you carnt pull bearing apart to repack with grease, the final drive bearing is sealed and i pushed new grease in other side which was a roller bearing, , id recommend taking rear shock out to save scratching swing arm,hope that helps

·
Administrator
1,718 Posts
Agree on pulling the shock, pretty easy to get at and saves fighting it during removal and install of swingarm and driveshaft.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also got a bonus fix out of doing this maintenance, when i down shifted my gears and slowly releasing my clutch i got alot of vibration through my drive train, i cleaned my splines on drive shaft , gear box and diff pinion, so smooth now,

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,799 Posts
Yeah i think i got lucky, the bearings look fine and feel smooth, i sprayef inner part of taper bearing with high temp grease, you carnt pull bearing apart to repack with grease, the final drive bearing is sealed and i pushed new grease in other side which was a roller bearing, , id recommend taking rear shock out to save scratching swing arm,hope that helps
Why can't you pull the swing arm pivot bearings out of the race to clean and repack with grease? They pop right out of the race. Clean in solvent then repack with fresh grease. The needle bearing on the rear drive pivot is one that is better left in place to clean and then repack.

OEM bearings are SKF single side seal are very expensive and seem to be proprietary to BMW. Aftermarket tapered roller bearings are # 30203 - 17 x 40 x 13.25. and are not sealed one side. This is not and issue as you can salvage the seals from the OEM bearings and graft unto the new bearings or simply omit the seals all together as they really do nothing. Dirt and debris can enter the un-sealed side just as easily.

I've checked the pivot bearings on about 10 different GS's and some are like new needing only a clean a repack of grease. Others the races are galled and the bearings are gritty and not worth salvaging. Then in extreme cases the bearing cages are rotted the chrome coating is gone and the bearings and races are rusty and fall apart when you take out the pivot pins.

I've learned that having a new set of bearings on hand and ready to go prior to tackling this project is a good idea. Saves from getting to the point where you find the old bearings are not salvageable and then have to wait 3 or 4 days for replacements to come in.

As a side note I keep my bearings in the beer fridge freezer. Its clean, out of the way and the bearings are always frozen and ready to be installed.

Cheers,

P-14

Reactions: Math and MotoDean

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for info, my bearings all felt smooth, and inside of swing arm looked clean, i gave the taper bearings a slight pull but didnt want to risk damaging seal, so i just sprayed across inside of swing arm to get some fresh grease in there, i know its not the way to repack a bearing but some lube will go a long way, i plan to remove swing arm again in winter for a paint strip and paint, but it would be nice to see the original taper bearings removed to see how they pull apart, do you have any photos? Thanks

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,799 Posts
Thanks for info, my bearings all felt smooth, and inside of swing arm looked clean, i gave the taper bearings a slight pull but didnt want to risk damaging seal, so i just sprayed across inside of swing arm to get some fresh grease in there, i know its not the way to repack a bearing but some lube will go a long way, i plan to remove swing arm again in winter for a paint strip and paint, but it would be nice to see the original taper bearings removed to see how they pull apart, do you have any photos? Thanks
Not a lot to it. The bearing simply nests in the race. The grease holds it until the pivot pin in inserted and torqued. Its not clipped, snapper or mechanically.

Here's a pic of a bearing that long past its service life. The good news is there is suck little movement and everything is contained you can get to this point or even beyond and still be functional

Automotive tire Rim Gas Wood Automotive wheel system

1 - 12 of 12 Posts