R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first long trip on my new (to me) '07 R12GS. Went from N. VA up to Ohio and put in a total of 850 miles in 3 days. So, a couple of impressions. First, she just runs great (and got about 47 mpg) and love the sound of my Remus exhaust. Also very comfortable. Second, and this is important, a heated seat can be much more than a gimmick! Through cold rain and just plain cold (in the 30's) that heated Corbin was just great. I was only wearing jeans and a warm keister really made the difference between pushing on and having to pull over for the night. I also give high marks to my Tourmaster Transition 5 jacket. Warm enough even without the liner and completely waterproof. My only complaint/concern is my problem and not the bike. It's absolutely at the max height I can handle. I'm about 5'11" and any maneuvering is on tip toes! I refuse to give in and have it lowered though, I'll learn to live with it. The Metzler Tourance tires performed well in dry and wet. That's about it. She doesn't look like a thoroughbred stallion but sure is a reliable, sure-footed mule!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Nice report.
Is you seat in the low position fore and aft?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not certain if the seat is set low. I haven't played around with it much and the wire cable makes it tricky.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
249 Posts
I have a 2009 R1200GS which is mostly the same bike, I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam, with the regular saddle at the lowest setting I was almost flat footed. Now with the Touratech extra-low it's perfect.

The Corbin saddle looks like a very high model, the top is almost flat. Look at mine, see how it drop in the middle.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Heated seats are like heated grips and jackets etc. You don't know how great they are until you use them. I thought heated jackets were silly until I got one and realized I don't have to dress like the Ralphie's brother on a Christmas Story with layer upon layer of bulky shirts, sweatshirts, jackets to try and keep warm. Heavier jacket, base layer then plug in turn on stay warm! Heated grips I thought were ridiculous until I had a bike with them.

If you going to live with tiptoeing the bike you should also practice proper technique on how to pick up a 550+ pound bikes once its been dropped. Its a technique you'll eventually need.

·
Super Moderator
687 Posts
I'm a fan of riding pants that go over the top of jeans. Keeping the wind off helps a lot. Have one older pair for gravel and another for pavement rides.

Never had a heated seat, but a vest is nice when it is 40°F and below. Only challenge with heated grips is tops of hands can still get cold without the right gloves (or hippo hands). Have some USB heated insoles for my boots I'm going to try this winter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice bike! I have the same bike but in the orange color. Love it! You can lower the seat like others have said. also I second the advice for learning how to pick up the bike. I have a 34” inseam and I still had mine fall over twice because of stopping at a stop sign on a really steep grade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did my first long trip on my new (to me) '07 R12GS. Went from N. VA up to Ohio and put in a total of 850 miles in 3 days. So, a couple of impressions. First, she just runs great (and got about 47 mpg) and love the sound of my Remus exhaust. Also very comfortable. Second, and this is important, a heated seat can be much more than a gimmick! Through cold rain and just plain cold (in the 30's) that heated Corbin was just great. I was only wearing jeans and a warm keister really made the difference between pushing on and having to pull over for the night. I also give high marks to my Tourmaster Transition 5 jacket. Warm enough even without the liner and completely waterproof. My only complaint/concern is my problem and not the bike. It's absolutely at the max height I can handle. I'm about 5'11" and any maneuvering is on tip toes! I refuse to give in and have it lowered though, I'll learn to live with it. The Metzler Tourance tires performed well in dry and wet. That's about it. She doesn't look like a thoroughbred stallion but sure is a reliable, sure-footed mule! View attachment 28275
Hi Randy thanks for the ride review. I just got my first GS this past April R1200 GS 07 also, I changed from the Metzlers to TKC Rocks for some off road in the Jefferson/ Washington National forest lots of fun I think the 07 was a very good year for the GS not a lot of problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Sargent low seat that I am going to sell if you are interested. It is off my 2005 r1200gs which I think would fit your bike. If interested let me know. I'm thinking 200.00+shipping. I'm in Florida.

·
Registered
551 Posts
RandyGunny,

Not sure if I'm keeping the "low" seat yet or not but if you want to ride up to Chambersburg PA you're more than welcome to go and try it out for an hour or three to see if it helps you reach the ground better.

1st and 2nd pictures are a OEM standard seat set in the "low" position.

3rd and 4th pictures are a OEM "low" seat.

5F69E73F-618A-46E7-9F33-91A642592CB5.jpeg
02AEEBDA-D83E-4026-841C-B409DF6CEB70.jpeg
5806A9BE-283B-477D-87F6-3EF068C83E88.jpeg
BA36A7D8-BA75-425A-9F1C-B0DCE5F0199E.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Randy thanks for the ride review. I just got my first GS this past April R1200 GS 07 also, I changed from the Metzlers to TKC Rocks for some off road in the Jefferson/ Washington National forest lots of fun I think the 07 was a very good year for the GS not a lot of problems.
Sharp bike! This heated seat was so good, I think I'll keep the funky colored Corbin!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts