R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have just a few thousand miles on my 2017 GSA and was wondering about taking off from a stoplight or just in general in 1st gear.

Does it seem like 1st gear is really drawn out to anyone else? i mean again my background is sport bikes so maybe this is perfectly normal but I just wanted a little input so i know I'm not crazy or maybe i'm doing it wrong are you guys popping the clutch :grin2:

·
Registered
341 Posts
My R1150RT and R1150GS were the same. The bikes, including the R1200GS, are not happy at all under 12-13 km/hr.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's just fine for me when off road riding, on road I blast through first so fast it isn't an issue there either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On my 1999 K1200LT, first gear was good to 65 MPH! It was always fun getting that beast rolling with full luggage! I still don't understand why BMW didn't just use the KRS engine/tranny and add a longer swing arm! Oh well, German engineering at its finest.

Dennis

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my 1999 K1200LT, first gear was good to 65 MPH! It was always fun getting that beast rolling with full luggage! I still don't understand why BMW didn't just use the KRS engine/tranny and add a longer swing arm! Oh well, German engineering at its finest.

Dennis
65 :surprise::surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2013 R1200GS that supposedly has the "light" flywheel. I have no other GS experience to compare to, and yes, I did stall it a few times the first day of riding. I attribute it more to the hydraulic clutch and adjustable levers, though. It was so smooth it was a little challenging at first to really feel the engagement point. But coming off dirtbikes and small displacement bikes, I'm so used to slipping first I don't really notice any trouble with first now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2013 R1200GS that supposedly has the "light" flywheel. I have no other GS experience to compare to, and yes, I did stall it a few times the first day of riding. I attribute it more to the hydraulic clutch and adjustable levers, though. It was so smooth it was a little challenging at first to really feel the engagement point. But coming off dirtbikes and small displacement bikes, I'm so used to slipping first I don't really notice any trouble with first now.
Guess i'll just drop the clutch and wheelie from now on!!

:D:D:D:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts