R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so BMW makes 2 kinds of lock cylinders. The ones they sell aftermarket come with seperate wafers which you just juggle around to match your key. The other kind come from the factory vin matched to your bike key. I happened to get 6 of these without the key and my friend coded them to my bike key.
Now these cylinders the thin wafers dont fall out and hence you cant juggle them without opening the cylinder. The wafers are held in place with a thin rod.
Here is how:

Step 1:
The cap needs to be removed first. As you can see the cap is held in place by three constrictions. He took a fine screwdriver and gently hit at the constrictions and pried the cap off.

IMG_7175.jpg

Step 2:
As soon as the cap is off we see two plastic protectors held by springs. he says these are the ones that protect grime etc getting into the cylinders.

IMG_7176.jpg

Step 3: As soon as the plastic protectors are out we will see the pin....golden/copper colored. He gently knocked the cylinder upside down and the pin moves out and he pulled it out. As soon as the pin is out the wafers and springs come out.
IMG_7177.jpg
Bingo then all you have to do is juggle the wafers around to fit your key. There are only three kinds.....lots of videos on those.

I had some extras lying around since mine needed more of the Number 2s.
After that is done you just go in reverse order.
Put the golden pin back, put the plastic covers and springs back and then last he put the cap back on. then with a center punch he gently hammered it where the constrictions were and locks were done.....bingo.
It took him 30 minutes for 6 locks. Im presuming a time of 90 minutes for someone like me who would loose a few springs etc.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I concur. I did the same matching the lock cylinder wafers from the top case I swapped from my 2017 1200 GSA to my 2020 1250 GSA. Here is an in depth video link of the process.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts