R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Zumo is a nice GPS, but it has a few flaws, some very annoying and unacceptable on such an expensive device. These two are my pet peeves:

- It the unit can't find a street, it may be due to a simple typo. So, you go back to entering the name, but you have to start from scratch, because the 660 hasn't retained what you typed before. This is stupid. The cheapest smallest computer can do that.

- And the worst: The «Avoidances» and «Route preferences» options are general «Settings» from the «Tools» menu, but they should be offered as specific options to chose from every time you enter data to find a route. For example, sometimes, you want to avoid highways, sometimes you don't. One should not have to remember to first go and check the general settings when entering data. Today, going back home from errands in the suburbs, the 660 made me take numerous congested small streets and avenues, because I had forgotten to go and uncheck «Avoid highways» in the geneeral settings.

I have already voiced my discontent with Garmin, asking for a rectification in a future free downloadable software update. If you agree with me, please, make your voice heard as well with Garmin. Thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oddly, on the Street Pilot III that I have used since 2003, the main setup menu has a switch allowing you to have the GPS ask the route preference question each time a new route has been requested. I am surprised that the Zumo 660 (to which I am seriously considering changing) has done away with that setting/option.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oddly, on the Street Pilot III that I have used since 2003, the main setup menu has a switch allowing you to have the GPS ask the route preference question each time a new route has been requested. I am surprised that the Zumo 660 (to which I am seriously considering changing) has done away with that setting/option.
This option went away after the 26xx/27xx/28xx generation as far as I know. Big mistake IMO. Drives me a little nuts having to delve into the menu system to switch from fastest to shortest.

--chiba

·
Not that senior.
702 Posts
Gps

You need a GPS to back from the local shops????????

I don't think the GPS is the problem here !

Reactions: Glenfiddich

·
Late Life Crisis
2 Posts
Unfortunately, each iteration of the devices seems to be trying to be more user friendly but unfortunately they also become less useful. The 276c was one of the best units in terms of user options for a motorcyclist although the chipset is not as fast as newer units and as a discontinued product, repairs will be a problem.

·
Reprobate
140 Posts
I use a GPS as just another navigational tool, so don't depend on it. I have only two complaints with the 660. First, it's never managed to hold a cell connection. It links up just fine, and the phone icon displays. I can take or make a call, but 30 seconds into the call I lose the Bluetooth link. Secondly, the speed display turns to red on gray at 1mph over the speed limit, and in anything less than optimal conditions there's not enough contrast to see how fast I'm going.

The GPS itself works just fine, and I like pairing it with Basecamp for Mac

·
Registered
32 Posts
Though now discontinued the Garmin 276C is the best GPS for dual sporting out there. Love it and will never upgrade as long as I can keep the two units I have working. So far they have been bullet proof for five years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've installed my Nav IV / 660 and I'm not so thrilled with it yet. My issues are, in descending order of importance.
The screen is terribly dim. I have a very difficult time reading the screen, directions, speed, etc. it requires me to have my eyes diverted from the road for far too long for comfort.

The absence of the external headphone jack on the BMW version is a significant oversight.

It regularly tells me I don't have any MP3s installed whe I try to play music.

I still have my Zumo 550 and XM antenna set up with two auto and two bike cradles. I wish I hadn't registered the 660 Nav IV. I would sell it and continue with my existing set up that works. I incorrectly assumed the newer model was an improvement.

I do like the newer style maps. I just wish I could see them while riding when I need them. But they look great in the garage. They probably looked very nice in the R&D labs at Garmen HQ.

I'm a Garmin loyalist.
I've owned the original orange screen Streetpilot, two 2610, at least 3 automobile units for my cars, and two Zumo 550s. Sorry to say this one is a disappointment.

·
'09 R1200GS + '81 R80 G/S
154 Posts
Zumo 660

My 660 is a disappointment to me. What bothers me most is the tendency for the screen to go blank in the middle of a route and take 10 seconds or more to regenerate.
There are also some technical issues relating to inability to read tracks, etc.
Will I buy another?
They're ok for street and highway.
On the dirt they leave much to be desired. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a zumo 665, which from what I understand is the 660 with XM. I've had nothing but problems with this unit. I've heard people say what a good gps it is so all I can think is I got a lemon. The one in a million that had problems. Unfortunately I was using it sporadically and not all the time....to the point when I finally decided to call Garmin and bitch about it, it was just past the warranty. My unit will freeze up from time to time. The screen will just go black with the Garmin logo on it. I hardwired it to a switched wire and when I turn the bike off, it turns off....usually. I just got back from a ride, turned the bike off, and the unit stayed on (instead of powering down in 15 seconds). So I think, ok...key is off and still on. Key is out...still on. I removed the unit from it's mount ....still on. And like I say, usually it works as it is intended, turn the key off, the unit powers down. I've spoke with Garmin and they took me thru some kind of updating procedure and rebooting, etc, but it would eventually do it again. Like I say, I think I got a lemon. An $800 lemon. So now I'm thinking of buying a backup unit to have on the bike like a Garmin Oregon. Life used to be so easy with the Zumo 550. But overall my feeling are, this unit sucks and wouldn't buy another one.

·
GS Traveler
18 Posts
Though now discontinued the Garmin 276C is the best GPS for dual sporting out there. Love it and will never upgrade as long as I can keep the two units I have working. So far they have been bullet proof for five years.
I agree. I have a 376C that has been on a couple of different bikes and been used in multiple countries since 2006, on surfaced roads, dirt roads, and a goat trail or two. It has gone back to Garmin once for repair after water apparently found it's way in through the plug-in for the XM antenna after days in a nasty storm. The battery has been replaced once.

Everyone that I know that has gone with one of the newer touch screen units has been less than satisfied. I have my 376C hooked to my Starcom and get the XM radio and GPS instructions through my helmet headset. Having bluetooth might be nice some times, but I'm not willing to give up my 376C yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Zumo 665

I've the Zumo 665....I've used on a 2001 GS, a 2008 RT and now my 2013 GSW. I agree with the complaint about the unit not keeping in its memory previously inputed info, but for me, the feature I really like is the real time radar weather. Unlike a previous poster, I've not had any problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
zumo660

I have a zumo 665, which from what I understand is the 660 with XM. I've had nothing but problems with this unit. I've heard people say what a good gps it is so all I can think is I got a lemon. screen will just go black with the Garmin logo on it. I hardwired it to a switched wire and when I turn the bike off, it turns off....usually. I just got back from a ride, turned the bike off, and the unit stayed on (instead of powering down in 15 seconds). So I think, ok...key is off and still on. Key is out...still on. I removed the unit from it's mount ....still on. And like I say, usually it works as it is intended, turn the key off, the unit powers down.
Have a 660 Garmin on a k1300GT 59,000, then moved to 2013 r1200GS for 39,000mi then 2015 r1200GS with 20,000mi. had a couple of black outs and lost display. Have found that if u put dielectric grease on pins for better contact u eliminate all those gremlins.

·
R1200GS driver couple
66 Posts
We have a Garmin zumo 660, as it came cheep with the GS we bought.
On our previous bike we had a very simple TomTom one, it wasn't waterproof but mounted on our Kawasaki ZZR1100,
it was much out of the rain.
To be honest our TomTom never ever let us down, while often we had to stop as other bike friends had to 'reset'
their Garmins, we never had any of those problems.
Ofcourse I allways had to 'translate' a route from Garmin to TomTom.

The Garmin Zumo is a very high tech machine so to say, and at time its makes its own strange decisions..
as the time we where on holliday in France. We drove on the highway, it was a 200KM piece so to say,
then suddenly the Garmin made us take a road exit, go 1 km to a roundabout, and turn around to the highway again lollll

Or just as few weeks ago, I had made a route with Basecamp, downloaded it to the Zumo, as I had done many time before.
We started to ride the route..but the Zumo kept on refusing to take a highway. I stopped to look at the setting, but it was set for taking highways... So strange, and until this day I have no idea what caused that.

No that I think back I can tell numerous times when the Zumo did rather strange thinks lolllllll
I am sure that in time I am going to switch back to my first love..TomTom, as I gues a Garmin is to complicated for me.

BTW I do have the latest maps..and software updates for my Zumo 660

·
R1200GS driver couple
66 Posts
I have had it with this piece of SH%$T
I am going to order a TOMTOM 450.. This is what happend yesterday.

With Basecamp I had made this wonderfull route, as I have done many times before. I uploaded the route into the
Zumo, also like I had done many times before.

In the morning we took the Beemer and we drove to the start point of the route I made..
There we stopped and I 'told the Zumo' to start showing us the route, so to speak.

It was a route of about a 150 km, but when the Zumo was 'ready' it was suddenly over 500 km!
GRRRR so I reloaded the route and then I made it recalculate the route, then it was about the 150 km..
so we started to ride and enjoyed the great winding roads, and little villages.. then after about a 60km,
the Zumo showed these road crossing and I knew that teh route I made didn't had any crossings in it.
I mean that I made the route that we never crossed, you know.

I stopped and looked how he had recalculated the route I had made.. gues what..? I looked like spiders web,
With numerous U-turns ( which are allways set to NO u-turns in the Zumo..)

I allmost took that piece of Sh%^t from its mount and threw it into the river..grrrr !!
I just can't understand what he is doing, anymore as I have the same map on the computer (basecamp)
as I have on the Zumo.

The first time that I loaded the route, yesterday I made sure that he didn't recalculate it, but he messed it up.

Sorry Garmin.. never ever again a gps from you.

·
Registered
795 Posts
sometimes the zumo, and garmin, just doesn't believe you really want to go that way, so they show you the better way of going. Of course, being facetious, but I share your pain. After the WORK of getting a route on basecamp, it sometimes then sends a different route to your zumo. You always have to check to be sure you have the route you entered.
Oh, I wish google or LG or microsoft or apple or someone would make a competing product, even if it were only for autos. I'd take my chances with rain, put a shower cap over it. Garmin is adamant with the operating system. Their product is obsolete in its functions and user hostile, but they are for most, the only game in town. And they cost an arm and a leg.

·
R1200GS driver couple
66 Posts
You are so right !

Sometimes I think that the software people just want to showout what they can do, I mean make all kinds of supersonic
automation into the software, but the downside is that when it turns out to be a 'bit' buggy they just update it
for a while and then a newer model comes, they 'forget' the previeus model, so to say. They force you to buy
that newer model..
You see that constand happening with cell phones. I gues thats why I am so much a fan of 'opensource' software,
even my 4 year old samsung phone, is still doing great because the operating system I have on it, is open source,
and gues what..? They update it allmost every week, improving it constandly.. THATS the way it should be.

As I said before, we traveled throught the whole of Europe with just a simple TomTom one..lolllll
Never ever gave a problem, and yes it was a simple GPS, but it DID the job.
The only 'problem' with the TopmTom (back then) was that you just had somany waypoint, and when one waypoint
was blocked orso, TomTom wanted to go back to that waypoint in your route.
But backthen there where these super clever wizzkids, who made all kinds of software modifications, and one of
them was 'skip waypoint' awesome !! Just pushed the button on the screen wait a few seconds and whoppah,
you where on your way again. Yes it didn't got bluetooth, but I never used it anyway lollll
And when I want to listen to music I stay at home and use my audio system grmpfffffff

I realy wish that someone would make a silicone waterproof cover for my TomTom one, I would be mounting it
rightnow on the beemer..lollll

BY the way I am not a grumpy old man, in daily live LOLLLLLLL

·
Registered
795 Posts
BY the way I am not a grumpy old man, in daily live LOLLLLLLL
same here!

POI, Garmin never issues a firmware upgrade. I have searched for hacks into their "system" and found none.

Some things on the wish list--and are likely hackable--
user configurable "menu" so useful links can be 1 or 2 clicks from the map screen, not 4 or more
Make the font bigger, user configurable.
Change the "compass" screen to a big a$$ speedo
eliminate certain "options" from the menu screen that you never use and only hinder progress
make buttons on the touch screen bigger and thereby easier to actuate.
configure the "weather service" to certain mileage radius--right now it is something like 250 miles--useless
drag and drop with google maps

·
R1200GS driver couple
66 Posts
Hiiii Guys,

Last week I got my new TomTom Driver 450.. Mounted it on my Beemer on the same place where I had my Zumo 660.
Here is my expirience with this new GPS.

Well at first I was very pleased with the brightness of the screen, and the fact that you can put the TomTom in
portrait view makes it nice.
These days you buy it with live update. Allthough it is a brand new toy, the TomTom software is so unbelievable
intuitive, so the way you think that it works..IT works LOLLLLL.

You can pair the TomTom with bluetooth with you phone, and then it has internet access for live updates on speed camera's,
even the mobile ones !

You can easy, on the fly, make a route.. and even a round route.. so to say, and with three levels of curly roads.

All in all I am verrrrry pleased with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts