R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 GSA - stock cases are very flimsy. I dropped my bike in the dirt and one of the cases got bent. I'll try pounding it back into shape but I'd like to know if there are better, stronger cases available. I searched around and most seem to be made from 2mm aluminum, I'll take steel ones or make my own if I have to.

Anyone?

Thanks! :smile2:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Better the case bend than the force of the crash transmitted to the frame with resulting frame damage. Also, light is usually considered better than heavy.

For crash resistance you could do what the harder core dirt riders do -- use soft bags. They survive crashes better with the additional benefit of usually not breaking your bones when your legs get stuck between bag and ground.

If I were to change bags today I'd be looking at something like this kit from Mosko Moto. Not quite as convenient, but maybe worth the extra effort to get in and out of the bags.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I guess you're right. Better bent case than frame. I love being able to lock my stuff using only one key though. I haven't tried banging it back in shape yet. But it's kind of a pain in the ass to get it square again.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a good look at the Mosko product this summer. The guy was doing some serious backcountry and had dumped his 1200GS several times and had mimimal damage. Seems like a good soft bag solution....they are not real big, though and the guy had a 30L rear duffel as well.

I like my Varios because they are so easy to remove/install and when collapsed not too wide. I have NOT, however, dumped the bike yet and when I do someday I hope they are not on it because I expect them to bend/break. I don't do much dirt on the GS except mellow FS roads, so it's a risk I can live with. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anything more than dirt roads, where I might drop this top heavy beast...bags always come off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Who cares as long as they work properly. Every scratch and dent on a GS just show character. I have Touratech bags on My GS. Would not think about removing them since all my tools are in the bags.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who cares as long as they work properly. Every scratch and dent on a GS just show character. I have Touratech bags on My GS. Would not think about removing them since all my tools are in the bags.
I don't care about dents and scratches, but the case is so out of square that the lid doesn't close properly. :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Better the case bend than the force of the crash transmitted to the frame with resulting frame damage. Also, light is usually considered better than heavy.

For crash resistance you could do what the harder core dirt riders do -- use soft bags. They survive crashes better with the additional benefit of usually not breaking your bones when your legs get stuck between bag and ground.

If I were to change bags today I'd be looking at something like this kit from Mosko Moto. Not quite as convenient, but maybe worth the extra effort to get in and out of the bags.
Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
OEM for the GS are the plastic Vario pannier. I had the earlier version on my '05. One fell off the bike and smashed into many, many pieces. I replaced them with original Zega panniers.

The Holan are almost as good (opinion) as the original Zega. I've never had the Zega Pro. I got the Holan because the Zega wasn't available with the exhaust cutout and the Zega cost was much, much more.

I prefer medium size panniers. The Holan 38L size is right for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any metal case is going to give some, more or less, in a fall. The protection to your leg or the bike is worth the damage.

That said, if you take the case to a body shop, a decent metal basher can square it up again good enough and for not much $$.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am surprised nobody has come out with an aftermarket aluminum case that will fit the same OEM connection points as the Vario cases.
i'm also looking for alternative cases. i did not purchase the stock cases with my 2016 adventure... so now im searching.

i saw that brooks makes panniers for gs and gsa... i may go that route.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am surprised nobody has come out with an aftermarket aluminum case that will fit the same OEM connection points as the Vario cases.
Me too! In fact, those connection points and the really easy mount/dismount of the Varios was 70% of the reason I bought them and put up with the smallness and flimsiness.

Probably a copyright issue. :frown2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Zega Mundo and Mosko Moto

I have the Zega Mundo cases and they are great. I think they are the least expensive of the Zega line. Absolutely waterproof. I also use the Mosko Moto extra large duffle and it is top notch. It has an inner liner that is totally waterproof. Now as to crashworthiness...I haven't wrecked yet but when I do the damage will be my fault and I'll fix it as best I can. As for the storage and weather resistance, which is what I think luggage is made for, you can't go wrong with either the Zega or Mosko Moto lines.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any metal case is going to give some, more or less, in a fall. The protection to your leg or the bike is worth the damage.

That said, if you take the case to a body shop, a decent metal basher can square it up again good enough and for not much $$.
Good idea. I'll try the local body shop. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i'm also looking for alternative cases. i did not purchase the stock cases with my 2016 adventure... so now im searching.

i saw that brooks makes panniers for gs and gsa... i may go that route.
Some deals to had on line for used OE aluminum Adventure Cases...check Ebay motors.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Some deals to had on line for used OE aluminum Adventure Cases...check Ebay motors.
I purchased the BROOKS PANNIER SYSTEM FOR GS ADVENTURE they look the same as BMW ones but half the price and they claim that they fit on the stock oem brackets.

So i should receive them this week, i will then make a short video review on it and will let you guys know!

thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts