R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had too much fun and bent the lower support and broke the mount for the lower foot peg.

Has anyone had to repair this section? Any advice?

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Well, there was a guy on another forum who did, basically, what you've done and his insurance company totaled the bike. You can watch is video:
Around 5 mins. 30 seconds is his foot peg situation.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take it to a welding shop and see if they can help you. I've only done a bit of welding and would think gas would be the best way to go. I'm not really qualified to make that judgement, though. I have heard tales where MIG/TIG processes have screwed up electronics on the bike. Again, check with a welding shop and let us know your progress.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

I've been asking around Phoenix today and the same name keeps coming up so I think I have the right place. I'll keep you posted and show pictures of the repair!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Tricky part is welding the frame without frying any electrical components...they hopefully they will know what they are doing in that regard.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Tricky part is welding the frame without frying any electrical components...they hopefully they will know what they are doing in that regard.
1st line of defense disconnect the battery. As a second line of defense unplug the ECU and any other plugs you can access. 3rd line of defense put the ground or positive (depending on the type of welding) as close as possible to the area being welded.

Then clean the weld area. Make the weld. Paint the weld. Put back together and go about your life.

·
Registered
297 Posts
1st line of defense disconnect the battery. As a second line of defense unplug the ECU and any other plugs you can access. 3rd line of defense put the ground or positive (depending on the type of welding) as close as possible to the area being welded.

Then clean the weld area. Make the weld. Paint the weld. Put back together and go about your life.
I was thinking disconnect ECUs too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Calling around Phoenix, one guys name kept coming up. Dave at Fast Track in Mesa, AZ. I dropped it off he took one look at it and said it was a common fix. He had it back to me a few hours later looking as good as new! Solid guy that loves what he does. He pulled the battery.

Repair was $240.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts