R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm working on my new-to-me 2009 BMW r1200gs. I bought some used Fastway footpegs circa 2009. They're in great shape. I cleaned them up. Installed the first one on the right side (rear brake side) of the bike, no problem. I went to the other side to take the factory peg off and I couldn't get the pin to slide out because the gear shift lever was in the way.

I searched the Internet to see if this was an issue others had had or if you need to remove the gear shift lever but I couldn't find anyone who had experienced this problem.

So, the question is, do you need to remove the gear shift lever on a 2009 r1200gs in order to remove the pin for the foot peg or is something else going on here? Only other possibility is that the foot peg bracket is bent...

Let me know if anyone has any experience with this. If I do need to take the gear shift lever off, would love some tips on that... Thanks

Thanks
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle brake

·
Registered
214 Posts
It’s been a couple of years that I changed the footpegs on my 2009 and memory is a little vague, but seeing your picture I am fairly sure this is what you have to do. I’d mark the shift lever position with a black magic marker so you get it back again in the same notch. If you’ve worked on your ‘09 before you will already have the e-torx socket, also needed to remove the bash plate for oil changes, unless someone changed the bolts. All told you need an 8, 10 and 12 e-torx for the various bolts on this bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s been a couple of years that I changed the footpegs on my 2009 and memory is a little vague, but seeing your picture I am fairly sure this is what you have to do. I’d mark the shift lever position with a black magic marker so you get it back again in the same notch. If you’ve worked on your ‘09 before you will already have the e-torx socket, also needed to remove the bash plate for oil changes, unless someone changed the bolts. All told you need an 8, 10 and 12 e-torx for the various bolts on this bike.
Thanks Hogges! Yeah, I figured I would need to remove the shifter but didn't want to attempt it without some knowledge. This bike is new to me and the previous owner just changed the oil before I got it. I imagine my tool roll has the e-torx but otherwise I'll go out and buy them. Thanks for the tip about marking the shifter. I'll report back when the job is complete!

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,799 Posts
As Hogges states you have to remove the shift lever. A tattle mark with a sharpie make getting it back to the same place easy but even w/o its rather obvious.

Reactions: Keller

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
712 Posts
The rubber pad makes the footpegs really slippery when wet, I suggest removing them (they can be replaced later if needed).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got them installed! Thanks for the tips. I'm getting used to the lower pegs and the cleats. Cleats are good for grip but have to get used to my foot not sliding easily to shift. Overall, I think it's an improvement...
Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Vehicle brake Crankset

Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got them installed! Thanks for the tips. I'm getting used to the lower pegs and the cleats. Cleats are good for grip but have to get used to my foot not sliding easily to shift. Overall, I think it's an improvement... View attachment 33438
View attachment 33437
BIG Improvement! Much easier to stand and I have great control of the bike. I recommend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts