R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
So that's why

theyre (practically) giving them away these days....
Cunce....:mad:

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I ran Triumphs (955i ST, RS and 1050 Tiger) I was on at least four or five international sites that had lots of riders from OZ. Similar when I had FJR's. Excellent guys with a LOT of technical knowledge. In fact when I wanted a solid answer on a tech issue, I always relied on the boys from down under to give me good info. What I did notice was a total lack of customer service skills. Here in the US dealers pretty much are bound by rules and regs which I saw as absent in OZ. Now Garmin is going down hill over here too, but it astonishes me to the response in this situation.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
615 Posts
theyre (practically) giving them away these days....
Cunce....:mad:
When I bought my '05 last year, I bought a Garmin 276 C for extra $$$$ from him. I find it so tedious and archaic that I plan to use my Android smartphone and "Here We Go" app instead. Anyone using a better app?

I am thinking that the stand alone GPS industry is a dying breed.

·
Fisherman on 2 wheels!
162 Posts
Total disappointment

I too purchased the Nav V and have to say my level of disappointment is high. Don't even get me started with Garmin's BaseCamp software, another utter piece of garbage. I use my iphone with Rever and Waze 99% of the time and mainly use my garmin as a speedo and distance tracker.

I'm in the marine industry and there Garmin excels with intuitive use and cutting edge technology, same with their aerospace products. But the Nav V is shite ...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I too purchased the Nav V and have to say my level of disappointment is high. Don't even get me started with Garmin's BaseCamp software, another utter piece of garbage. I use my iphone with Rever and Waze 99% of the time and mainly use my garmin as a speedo and distance tracker.

I'm in the marine industry and there Garmin excels with intuitive use and cutting edge technology, same with their aerospace products. But the Nav V is shite ...
Give this a try for your routes http://www.myrouteapp.com/ I find it works very well and if it doesnt give you the exact same route you just add a couple more way points to force it.

Just make sure you export the file as GPX 1.0 and not 1.1

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi,

At the risk of being the twelfth man among twelve angry men, I am a very happy user of the Nav V and of Garmin Base Camp.
Now I'm not saying that the interface or the software is perfect and it's certainly not as intuitive or user friendly as it could be, but I now have a very practiced procedure for creating routes for extensive riding holidays and it works well.

Having said this, it is always very disappointing when a company decides to discontinue support for legacy devices and certainly when these devices are still being sold new. A bug is a bug is a bug, and if there is a known issue with a device, it would be reasonable to think that a company as large as Garmin would support the squashing of these as long as the devices are still being sold. The damage this attitude has on consumer confidence at the launch of the Nav VI is potentially devastating.

As someone who has worked in the software and hardware development space, I have sympathy for, but do not support Garmin's rather glib response to this issue. The complex web of inter-device connectivity is not to be underestimated, but that is what these guys do and what they are selling.

I'm no expert, but if anyone is interested in how I use Base Camp and the Nav V, I'm more than happy to go into more detail.
For now, I hope you find a solution to your issue.

·
Registered
92 Posts
To the majority of BaseCamp haters, all I have to say is "do ya want a bit of cheese with that whine?" I was around when NAVSTAR, the original name for GPS, was just a bunch of NORAD number designations. Ran GPS base stations and used Trimble mapping grade units. Have run Geographic Information Systems for over 30 years. Started using Garmin stuff with a GPS 45. That being said, it took many years for Garmin to make software both for their units and for a PC that would do routing half way decent. It never was easy and they still don't have it perfect by a long shot, BUT if you want routes to work, it takes work. No computer can make the decisions to take a left or right turn to go to Timbuktu without making assumptions. If you want it to be right when you load it, YOU have to go in and make sure it made the right assumptions. When it comes to BaseCamp, you have to read the directions. I hate doing that, but not only do you have to read them, you have to practice. No routing software is perfect, but BaseCamp is kinda sorta OK when compared to something like MapSource. My Nav V works great. What I don't see is a reason to buy a Nav VI.

That's my story and I'm sticking by it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Always good to hear the voice of experience. >:)

To the majority of BaseCamp haters, all I have to say is "do ya want a bit of cheese with that whine?" I was around when NAVSTAR, the original name for GPS, was just a bunch of NORAD number designations. Ran GPS base stations and used Trimble mapping grade units. Have run Geographic Information Systems for over 30 years. Started using Garmin stuff with a GPS 45. That being said, it took many years for Garmin to make software both for their units and for a PC that would do routing half way decent. It never was easy and they still don't have it perfect by a long shot, BUT if you want routes to work, it takes work. No computer can make the decisions to take a left or right turn to go to Timbuktu without making assumptions. If you want it to be right when you load it, YOU have to go in and make sure it made the right assumptions. When it comes to BaseCamp, you have to read the directions. I hate doing that, but not only do you have to read them, you have to practice. No routing software is perfect, but BaseCamp is kinda sorta OK when compared to something like MapSource. My Nav V works great. What I don't see is a reason to buy a Nav VI.

That's my story and I'm sticking by it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
As far as I am aware, they are still selling for the RRP which can vary by region (in Oz we tend to pay more for these things), however there are a number of incentives being provided for the sale of new bikes and run-out models that will include a Nav V unit as a "giveaway". As 802mike said, he got one for the bargain basement price of $22k and they gave him a GSA as a bonus.

By the way, if you don't want or need the GSA, I can provide a good home for it in Australia.

Back to the device itself, the NAV VI sounds like it has a few new features including the slightly larger and brighter display.
Not enough to make me trade up just yet. But perhaps they will do a trade in for me :wink2:

·
Registered
288 Posts
in fairness

I have to clarify my beef is not with the device itself, rather the appalling response the query quoted, and the engineered obsolescence of most stuff these days.
Ok, there's a new model out. Great. It's probably better than the existing, as you would expect.
However, if you're one of many who've forked out $1200AUD odd for the previous model, I really think you deserve better than this attitude.
Frankly, it's bullshit, and I don't think it can be justified.
I could probably stomach a modest upgrade fee, but if it gets to the point where my gizmo won't work properly and there's no fix that would normally have been covered by a simple update - then I'll be going back to paper maps.
Rant over.
Greg

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to clarify my beef is not with the device itself, rather the appalling response the query quoted, and the engineered obsolescence of most stuff these days.
Ok, there's a new model out. Great. It's probably better than the existing, as you would expect.
However, if you're one of many who've forked out $1200AUD odd for the previous model, I really think you deserve better than this attitude.
Frankly, it's bullshit, and I don't think it can be justified.
I could probably stomach a modest upgrade fee, but if it gets to the point where my gizmo won't work properly and there's no fix that would normally have been covered by a simple update - then I'll be going back to paper maps.
Rant over.
Greg
By the way, the price for the Nav 6 in Australia is $1500....what a ripoff

·
Registered
92 Posts
IMO, the comments on price are totally justified. Accuracy is not an issue in most cases between low and high end GPS units. It's pretty much the same so the cost comes down to three things, the number of bells and whistles, the packaging, but most of all what the market will bear. The GPS V on a bike like the R1200GS LC like mine is well thought out does way more than I need. Would Garmin produce this unit for other bikes if it could not inflate the price? I kinda doubt it. If it only cost $200, and I really doubt the components cost much more than half that much, there would not be enough incentive from the profit margin side for them to produce it. Remember, it all boils down to money, not what the technology can do.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
After owning a Nav-IV than the Nav-V which was a large improvement and now a brand new Nav-VI I have never had any serious issues with the devices regarding their GPS navigating abilities but I was having problems (like the OP) in regards to the BT and phone the Nav-V regardless of what phone was paired would loose audio and drop calls and I was never able to resolve that, hopefully the Nav-VI resolves that so far though I would have to admit that I am a little disappointed in the VI, the screen does apaer to be a little brighter and the addition of playing audio through your phone (and only a phone except for an iPod) is good and you can hear the difference since Garmin apparently stuck with their same old poor MP3 player in this unit but you cannot see any track information just play/pause next and prev.

Have to see how the rest compares I have not had a chance to ride with it yet, just got it today but for $854 (what I paid which is 10% off MSRP) it's an expensive upgrade vs the Nav-V that I so far fail to see much value in but if the BT issues are resolved I'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Always good to hear the voice of experience. >:)
and we've had these conversations before about Garmin, so please don't take offense.0:) I understand what you're saying, but you guys are in rarified air. For the average Joe, it is frustrating to say the least.

BUT... how many decades of Garmin experience is needed to get to the point of not hating it? I have nearly 10 years with Garmin, first a 550, now a 665. I don't, according to Hoyle, "hate" it, but it is BY FAR the worst piece of so-called "technology" I own. Every tech thing I have is head and shoulders better in all regards--phone, laptop, desktop, TV, radar detector, everything. The Garmin is solidly at the bottom of my list.
Every few months someone posts questions about BaseCamp and Garmin, about the user hostile nature of the devices and the software, and the common theme is "why can't I get this to work? why is it so hard? What am I missing?" It is because Garmin chose to reinvent the wheel. The Garmin device has a unique GUI, and baseCamp unique modus operandi. It doesn't have to be that way, but Garmin chooses to do it that way.

Just returned from a trip into the snow of N New Mexico. Had my 665 spontaneously shut down a couple of times--they do that, my 550 did it too--and I had the pleasure of "typing" on the keyboard--yes, I know there are different schemes, but this time I was using the qwerty keyboard ( the other keyboards are no better). Lots of keystroke errors, and the response time from pressing a letter to showing on the screen was well over a second, maybe 2 seconds, a long time. Are their processors that slow? Is that a challenge for them?

Oh, and if you want to go to the "cities" function and choose to "spell" the name, why the he!! is the software so dumb that it lists cities in alphabetical order rather than by increasing distance? that is a line of code, right? Their "engineers" could choose alphabetical, or by distance. They chose the former. Bad design.

Example, I'm on I 10 in Seguin, Tx, heading to Columbus Tx. I "manage" to get "COLUMB" on the screen, I hit done.( The reason I stop there is it is so tedious to actually enter the name, especially while moving.)

The Garmin starts listing ALL the Columbias IN THE WORLD, yes 7+k miles away, Different continents, across big oceans, Kazachistan, Mongolia, Congo, -It knows I am in Texas, on a motorcycle, on I 10---is it just punking me? then I scroll down and eventually arrive at the Columbuses. The device knows where I am. I am about 40 miles from Columbus, TEXAS, so why is it showing me all the Columbuses in the world forcing me to scroll until I eventually get to the nearest one, the one down the road in TEXAS? That is bad design and execution. And it's likely ignorance on the part of their design team.

Oh, and have you ever gotten the red box alert in the middle of your screen? That red alert box carries messages like "Rain in your area" and "Snow in your area" and "Roads closed nearby" And "dust storm in area," etc, IOW important stuff, stuff deserving of a red alert box in the middle of your screen, BUT...it is damn impossible to read because the font is so small, really small, tiny. That's important info! Make the box as big as the screen, with big ass letters in bold font; don't make me squint, or even worse stop to actually read the thing.

And when you want gas, aren't you really usually looking up ahead of you? Why show gas in front and behind you. I understand that could be important, but most of the time you're looking ahead of you. That's a simple line of code that is not there because the "engineers" don't know enough about riding to know that you are planning your stop AHEAD of you, IOW so you don't have to turn around.

Garmin has had YEARS to get this right and they still fall far short, but they are unfortuantely the only game in town.

Yes, BaseCamp gets little love (and for good reason), Yes, practicing on it makes it behave better, but really who has the time to do that? or the patience? What people want is a mapping software that has the simple intuitive elegance of google maps, something you can drag and drop onto the garmin. But Noooooo.

PLease please please Google, or Apple, or Microsoft, or HTC, or Sony make a GPS to compete with the clowns who designed these things. I mean, does anyone really believe these things were designed "by bikers for bikers?" And it is implied that they can be easily operated while underway, otherwise what would really be the point of their existence?

It is frustrating because it can do some things..like it got me through Houston today during morning rush without a lot of pain, though it did not know I was in the HOV lane and dropped me in the center of downtown. It got me back on I 10 without much issue though.
Garmin: pick up your game!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Doc,
Again, like the guy I originally responded to, I hear ya. Until March 31 I ran a Geographic Information System. One copy of the software my staff and I used was $9,000 and that did NOT include the Networking extension which would do routing. Only two out of seven people even used the Networking extension because it was so complicated. Garmin has not earned much love from me in recent years, but what I was trying to say earlier is that the average guy probably should just let the software take them to where they want to go. If it takes you to the wrong place or down the wrong road, that's life. As you might guess I do NOT accept a route that blows up in the middle of nowhere. That's why I may spend an hour or two on my back road routes of 4-500 miles. Guess what, even then they will blow up. I will say that Google is getting better every day. I'm hoping they will blow the company that made my $9K software out of the water. Jus sayin' that sometimes our expectations aren't always met by any GPS software routing program.
Rod

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nav VI

So I bought a new '17 GS a couple of months ago and the Nav VI came as a no cost promotional "gift" so I did not pay for it though "actually" I did since "FREE" is a myth! It is useful because I can create my own tracks and route using REVER and then upload gpx files to BaseCamp and then into the Nav unit. I also like being able to have big letters and numbers for my phone book and initiate calls on my cell phone using the unit. But as far as punching in a destination and having it calculate a route..it is about the worst POS I have ever seen! Google Maps on my cell phone is FAR FAR superior! I could get along just fine with a weather proof smart phone...I can't believe what Garmin charges for these things...I won't throw mine away but if you are planning to purchase one I suggest you go TRY one first..Just say'n...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts