R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've felt a clunk through the steering going over bumps at low speed that has got progressively worse. After I did the steering head bearing, I noticed I could feel it when pushing the bike over rough ground.

I've tracked this down to the left hand fork stanshion bush and can see and feel the movement by gripping the left fork stanshion and moving it up and down.

I've had the bike from new and it now has 55,000 km on.

My question is how to extract the bush - according to the parts fiche, there's a retaining clip that holds the bush in, but I cannot see it. I'd expect to see the tails of the clip by the little semi-circle in the housing. The right hand side is the same - no sign of the retaining clip. Does anyone have experience of replacing these? Do I need to dig around the rubber to find the clips first - I'd be surprised if they've been missing all these years :)

Any help or pointers to other forum posts greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before you go to all that trouble have you verified the ball joint on the Telelever is still in good repair?
Yep - replaced that last year - it was pretty trashed as the rubber had split and let grit in. Overhauled the front shock and replaced the top rubber mount at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts