R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum but have owned 10 BMW's over the years including 2 R80G/S's and an R1150GS.

I'm now considering buying a used GS and have focused on the 2009 for several reasons: newer style, last 2 valve (easy servicing), ESA available.

However, being out of the BMW market since 2001 I need some feedback as to what issues or concerns I should have with the 2009.

I know all forums are populated with "problems" people have had with their bikes but usually they are in the minority. But I would still like to know about real problems that have frequently surfaced with this model.

I am currently looking at an '09 with 22k miles. It was an Edelweiss Tour bike so it was ridden by many different riders but all on the road, no off road. The person selling it worked for the Tour and did all the servicing himself so there are no dealer service records. It has some minor scuffs on both valve covers and both mirrors and hand guards, but otherwise it supposedly in great condition. It has a Givi top box on it and that's the only accessory. It has ABS, ESA, heated grip and bag mounts. Price is $9900 with a $300 credit towards shipping which costs $600.

So what are your thoughts about the '09's and about this one in particular.

I appreciate all input.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The '09 has four valves per pot but with simpler locknut tappets. I waned this model but ended up with a twin cam. Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eff for that information. Are all 1200GS's 4valve ?

Is there a listing of all the yearly changes on the 1200gs series ?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Thanks Eff for that information. Are all 1200GS's 4valve ?

Is there a listing of all the yearly changes on the 1200gs series ?
In '95, BMW stopped making the airhead 2-valve engines and moved its boxer-engine line over to the 4-valve oil-head system first introduced in 1993. In 2010, they went to the "cam-head" and in '13 introduced the newest design.

I had an '09 GSA for 48,000 virtually flawless miles. I replace the cam chain tensioners at 42,000 miles and the clutch slave cylinder at 4,000 miles. It was a fine machine.

Mike

·
Registered
402 Posts
Welcome, I have an 09 Adventure. I purchased it used, with nearly 30k on the clock. I'm at 42k+ now. No major issues. I did blow out the rear shock at 35k, but replaced front and rear with Wilbers, keeping the ESA intact. I wish I had done that first, sooo much better.
Good luck, seems like a great deal to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got 31K on my '09 GSA. Only beef has been the fuel gauge. Ethanol is snake venom to sensors. Mine was replaced under warranty a few times, but it's still wildly inaccurate and the low fuel light doesn't come on even when there's only a tenth of a gallon left. Guess how I found that out...:eek:

So, I just went old school and use the trip meter, filling up routinely between 300-325 miles.

Bike did gobble headlight bulbs for a bit (one every 10,000-12,000 miles) but that seems to have settled down. Now watch what will happen tomorrow. :p

Overall, it's been a fantastic bike; I like this '09 GSA the best out of any bike I've owned, which includes an '04 GS, a '77 Slash Six, and an '02 VFR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The '09 has four valves per pot but with simpler locknut tappets. I waned this model but ended up with a twin cam. Good luck!
Speaking of which, after adjusting the valves, the piece in the picture was laying on the ground.
I have looked at the valve assembly diagram and cannot find this part. I do recall releasing one valve to the point where it kind of drooped.
Can you advise?
Thank you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
That’s a shaft retaining clip off of one of your rocker arms.

follow this link and look at the 4th pic from the top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts