R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NJ. Would like to find Used Vario L and R side cases that fit a 19 - 20 R1250GS. Not sure if cases sold for other years will fit. I have a black top case so I prefer black.. Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Personally not opposed to side load panniers. Bit I suggest shying away from Varios. The top cases are nice but they are extremely heavy (like almost 70 lbs for all three empty), complicated mechanism and somewhat fragile. Also with no crossover bar they swing around like a bulls balls at a trot. They look nice but the expand/retracto feature seems like a great idea its something you may find you rarely use.

The Vario mechanism also takes up a lot of room. The cases are 3/4" thick and the actuation bar extends even further into the case's interior.

I've had two (2) G1200GS's with Vario's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the feedback. 70 lbs seems like a bit much. I haven't looked at any alternatives. To compare, do you know the approximate weight for three adventure boxes with the bracketry?

·
Registered
263 Posts
You'll have to be a bit more specific. If you are looking at Jesse panniers they are probably just as heavy as the Vario's but you can also use them for bomb disposal they are that sturdy. Touratech Zega are light but very thin. SW Motech are somewhere in the middle.

Personally I run Tusk panniers on my 2007 R1200GS because I cannot justify paying $2,000 for couple aluminum boxes with lids when I can get Tusk aluminum boxes with lids for $224 to $249. Sure they don't have a fancy designer name but hold stuff just as well as any other aluminum box. They are lockable and water/dust proof the same as the competition. As far as weight they are in the middle the med is 9.5lbs and the large d 11lb per pannier or about 1/2 the weight of a Vario.

·
Super Awesom Person
563 Posts
I like Vario. They're thin enough to split lanes yet can expand for trips. I don't like a top box. I wanted bags I could remove quickly and didn't want the right side to stick out more than the left.
On trips I try to fit everything in with the bags in so I can expand and have room for more stuff if I need it later. Riding gear and stuff I don't need often in the left, stuff I need regularly on the right and I put my clothes in a drybag on the back. For me they just work.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When I 1st got panniers I thought it was paramount that they be quick connect. After having quick disconnect panniers I pound this is a function I rarely use The panniers and top case stay mounted on the bike 99% of the time.

Some Vario top cases are also known for self ejecting and the fix is to install a bolt. So the quick disconnect becomes not so quick disconnect.

I also dislike all none symmetrical panniers. When they do cut out panniers for the exhaust that paniers is just about useless. On my GS the exhaust side vario held Frogg Togg rain gear and small tool kit. Even expanded it was only 45% the capacity of the non exhaust side when it was collapsed. On bikes where they uses a wide and thin pannier to keep the outside of the pannier the same distance from the center of the bike just look ridiculous and again you give up space.

Vario vs other rigid panniers vs soft panniers or a combination of both is a very personal choice. None are wrong and none are right.

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
I haven't looked at any alternatives.
I made the same mistake.

If you are not in a hurry do your research. Locking or not will decide on soft vs hard luggage. Have to dexode how long you are really away from the bike.

If you are on a budget going aluminum, the Brooks panniers seem to get good reviews if you don't go the Tusk route.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll have to be a bit more specific. If you are looking at Jesse panniers they are probably just as heavy as the Vario's but you can also use them for bomb disposal they are that sturdy. Touratech Zega are light but very thin. SW Motech are somewhere in the middle.

Personally I run Tusk panniers on my 2007 R1200GS because I cannot justify paying $2,000 for couple aluminum boxes with lids when I can get Tusk aluminum boxes with lids for $224 to $249. Sure they don't have a fancy designer name but hold stuff just as well as any other aluminum box. They are lockable and water/dust proof the same as the competition. As far as weight they are in the middle the med is 9.5lbs and the large d 11lb per pannier or about 1/2 the weight of a Vario.
i was referring to the BMW alum cases.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's a set on ADV rider.

I also like the capacity adjustability of the Vario. I have the top box and it weighed about 18 lbs. empty. Since its capacity is greater than either of the side cases, I have to assume their total combined net weight would be less than 70 lbs. I expect to be doing 99% on road riding, and the Vario’s might be a bit more “aerodynamic” than any of the aluminum boxes I’ve looked at. In any case, your feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
Part of it too is how you want the bike to look with the panniers off. Varios do eliminate the need for racks while with aluminum cases racks are on all the the time.

Then there is top loading vs side loading...side good if you stack stuff on top...bad otherwise.

Some like vanilla, others chocolate. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can someone confirm whether or not the Vario bags for a 2018 R1200GS will fit on a 2020 R1250GS?

·
Registered
263 Posts
You should be able to get onto a online parts breakdown and see if the part numbers are the same or a call to your local dealership and confirm with them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like to be in San Diego, but I’m on the other coast. Thank you anyway.

BTW, my dealer (bike) confirmed that they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks to a link posted by PerazziMx14, I just bought two pre-owned Vario side cases and locks, with the locks already removed. Turns out some of the numbered tumbler plates and springs are missing. I have 1's and 3's, only enough to partially complete one lock.

Following the guidance on this forum and a few how-to videos, I moved around the plates I have to find out what fits. So I need two 3's, four 2's, and six springs. I'd rather not "spring" (pun) for the OEM replacement lock kits, so I'm hoping someone has a few bits lying around collecting dust. Shipping would be to 07652. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the Vario cases on my 1250 and love them. Yes, they are heavy but mine don't "swing around like a bulls balls at a trot" at all. That was very funny btw PerazziMx14...........lol.

I can fit my full face Arai helmet in the left side by expanding the case, lets say when I stop to eat, rest, etc. Nice feature.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts