R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested in brightening my bike after almost getting run into the other day. Any suggestions that I can install as a non mechanic? Also, what is the loudest horn that i should buy? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Denali brake light, Clearwater brake light....cheaper option is superbright LEDs for the rear.
For the frony denalis, clearwaters, bajas all are top notch

·
Registered
82 Posts
Also take a look at Admore lighting. I really like my light bar.

Reactions: Ryno23

·
Registered
46 Posts
People have already given great and varied suggestions.

I can only say that I am not a mechanic and yesterday finished installing a Denali CANsmart controller, front auxiliary lights (D4) and rear brake light (B6). It is all plug and play, due to it being the same manufacturer for all components. Hence, you don't have to do any splicing/manual connections, etc. Only time consuming part is figuring out a path and routing the wiring to the front. The rear is much simpler, although I chose to drill one of the vent holes under tailight, back top of plate holder mount, to widen the hole and feed connection through. I took my time, but it is possible to do yourself.

Denali also makes a Sound Bomb horn that many people like and easily connects to CANsmart. I don't personally have this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
People have already given great and varied suggestions.

I can only say that I am not a mechanic and yesterday finished installing a Denali CANsmart controller, front auxiliary lights (D4) and rear brake light (B6). It is all plug and play, due to it being the same manufacturer for all components. Hence, you don't have to do any splicing/manual connections, etc. Only time consuming part is figuring out a path and routing the wiring to the front. The rear is much simpler, although I chose to drill one of the vent holes under tailight, back top of plate holder mount, to widen the hole and feed connection through. I took my time, but it is possible to do yourself.

Denali also makes a Sound Bomb horn that many people like and easily connects to CANsmart. I don't personally have this.
After doing some research I’ve come to the same conclusion... thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will use Weimer rear lights, I assume the hex canbus will work with both.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I’m interested in brightening my bike after almost getting run into the other day. Any suggestions that I can install as a non mechanic? Also, what is the loudest horn that i should buy? Thanks in advance!
Get a plug and play BMW low torn car horn. Here is a video tutorial with part number included =>

·
Super Awesom Person
615 Posts
I went with the Clearwater Darla and the Billie Jr in the back.. I also got the slip-on covers. I keep the clear lenses mounted in the rubber and the yellow one sitting just inside so I can easily remove them at night.
It's a very nice, well thought out kit and color instructions. Once installed it was evident people see me. They pull over on the back roads and on the freeway out of the left lane when I approach. I haven't had anyone pull out in front of me since the install.
I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Added the BMW horn. Quick install, plug and play as advertised.

As for brake light upgrades I had seen the Billie and a few others. Opted for the Whelen LIN3 and couldn't be happier. I have it connected to my HEX ezCAN and set the running light intensity to 10% which matches the factory brake light but goes to 100% when the brakes are applied. I also enabled the California flash pattern and according to my riding buddies it can be seen from quite a distance behind me. The reflective chevrons help too. Not too many people ride my ass.

For conspicuity on the front I chose the Baja Designs S2 Sport. 100% intensity while the high beam is on and during the daylight hours. When the light sensor on the bike switches over to night mode they drop to 20% intensity. I have then angled down 5 degrees from horizontal so as not to blind oncoming drivers

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Added the BMW horn. Quick install, plug and play as advertised.

As for brake light upgrades I had seen the Billie and a few others. Opted for the Whelen LIN3 and couldn't be happier. I have it connected to my HEX ezCAN and set the running light intensity to 10% which matches the factory brake light but goes to 100% when the brakes are applied. I also enabled the California flash pattern and according to my riding buddies it can be seen from quite a distance behind me. The reflective chevrons help too. Not too many people ride my ass.

View attachment 28293

For conspicuity on the front I chose the Baja Designs S2 Sport. 100% intensity while the high beam is on and during the daylight hours. When the light sensor on the bike switches over to night mode they drop to 20% intensity. I have then angled down 5 degrees from horizontal so as not to blind oncoming drivers
View attachment 28294
you mount lights to crash bars? Also, how loud is the horn? Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, mounted the Baja Designs to the crash bars, But don’t get the Denali adapters, they did work for me and Denali never responded to my emails about the problem. I,will try to remember the mounts I got and post the info here. The BMW horn upgrade is from a wagon. The horn is 420Hz or what is called an “A” note horn . It’s as loud as a car horn.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, mounted the Baja Designs to the crash bars, But don’t get the Denali adapters, they did work for me and Denali never responded to my emails about the problem. I,will try to remember the mounts I got and post the info here. The BMW horn upgrade is from a wagon. The horn is 420Hz or what is called an “A” note horn . It’s as loud as a car horn.
thanks For the info!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you show how you mounted the horn? Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can you show how you mounted the horn? Thanks
The horn just replaced the stock horn in the stock location. You just have to remove the right-hand side panel (colored portion) and I don’t even remember having to remove the upper crash bar. Can’t show horn installation without removing bodywork. Thought I had pics of the install but if I did I can’t find them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The horn just replaced the stock horn in the stock location. You just have to remove the right-hand side panel (colored portion) and I don’t even remember having to remove the upper crash bar. Can’t show horn installation without removing bodywork. Thought I had pics of the install but if I did I can’t find them.
You have a link to the horn? I am thinking that’s going to work for me as well!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts