R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago my front strut (2011 R1200 GS w/ 16000 miles) began to leak. Took it in for replacement (under warranty). Rode home and checked for proper functioning of the ESA. Seemed to work OK, but slow. Thought nothing of it for a day or two and thought I'd check again. This time nothing worked. Took it back to BMW dealer. They determined the rear shock needed to be replaced as well. About $4000 dollars later (all under warranty) both front and rear are working fine.

My questions:
1. Is this something odd?
2. Should I be worried about this occurring again in 16000 miles?
3. Any idea to the cause?

NOTE: I ride two up with my wife, but nothing too aggressive. Some Forest Service dirt and rarely some rough rocky trails. Rest on pavement.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I blew my rear shock at 40k miles, on my 09. Couldn't afford the BMW replacement, so I went with Wilbers. What I learned from the experts was: BMW sets their factory suspension for 170lb riders, and ESA preload adjustments should only be done with the bike on the center stand. But, beyond that they are quite reliable.
If you want to learn more than you ever thought there was to know about BMW suspension, get in touch with Ted Porter, at the Beemer Shop in Scotts Valley CA. He'saalways willing to answer questions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My front shock also leaking. Only done 12000 km and been like this since the last warranty service.
Dread the news for my upcoming service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts