R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am scourging all the posts related to the front wobble and unintentional lean to the left on straight road at all speeds.
The wobble of handlebars happen between 60 - 90 km / h. Nothing serious but it does bother me as it used to be perfect stable. Beyond 100 km/h no wobble but the bike keep leaning to the left when I leave handlebar, no matter how I try to counterweight with my hips. One should be able to control the direction of the bike while cruising on perfectly straight road right.

Most of the causes of the issues on other posts were loose spokes after the bike was purchased. On my R1200GSA 2018 tho I clocked in 29k km and the issue only started about a month ago.

So far, this is what I did/checked:
  • found no flaws on my tires (Pierlli scorpi 2 with just 4,000 km on it)
  • all the basic stuff like inflate/deflate tires, with/without luggage, leaning towards the tank to see if issue disappear, bolts and screws tight
  • Spokes, took the wrench and knocked on each one, every single one is as stiff as it can be (so I keep eliminating issue with spokes)
  • then I thought bearings. Took off front wheel, replaced the bearings on front (they were slightly worn but it didnt fix the problem)
  • Front tire rebalance on the machine.
  • both front and rear rims check - very very slight discrepancy on the front rim which 3 different mechanics in 3 different shops confirmed this cannot be the cause

What I haven't done and am going to check end of month on periodical maintenance at the dealer shop
  • Refitting rear wheel and rebalance rear wheel
  • Steering damper - at another dealer shop a guy pointed towards the loose seal that holds the steering damper as "too loose"
  • Forks, some inside leakage possibly
  • front stabilizer and joint bolt - found on another post saying if too stiff it can cause inbalance (but again this is 2Y old bike without previous issue)
  • I will let them to check every single spoke again
  • Tire rubber issue (4,000 km and only started recently, I happened tho to rode over a freshly laid asphalt which I then had to remove any residue and sanded off the hot tar, after some riding, no sign of anything but does that damage the tire to start wobbling)

I have to point out as well that here where I live people usually say it is running "perfectly" unless the bike is in two pieces (SE Asia). Letting them to fix this "slight" wobble, many feel it is nothing compared to their own bikes or bikes of other customers that live with this issue simply.

I hope I eliminated the accident-threatening issues and will go another 350km to the dealership. Im not by far any experienced technician so many of the posts and issues I will list down for them to check. Will report the findings.
Anything I missed?

·
Registered
141 Posts
After bearings and spokes checked/ replaced only tire may be problem and hot asphalt may be destruct it. Change it with new one front or front and rear.

·
Super Moderator
689 Posts
I was thinking tires too. May look ok on outside but may have a defect or damage on inside.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tires are probably correct, but you might also check where the forks are attached to the upper yoke (peel back the rubber sleeve to make sure they are not starting to separate - this was an issue on some bikes, although I'm not sure of of the VIN-range impacted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’ve had this happen—usually after the tires have a few thousand miles on them—and the culprit is the tires...either uneven wear or lack of balancing (never properly balanced or balance weights fell off).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am scourging all the posts related to the front wobble and unintentional lean to the left on straight road at all speeds.
The wobble of handlebars happen between 60 - 90 km / h. Nothing serious but it does bother me as it used to be perfect stable. Beyond 100 km/h no wobble but the bike keep leaning to the left when I leave handlebar, no matter how I try to counterweight with my hips. One should be able to control the direction of the bike while cruising on perfectly straight road right.

Most of the causes of the issues on other posts were loose spokes after the bike was purchased. On my R1200GSA 2018 tho I clocked in 29k km and the issue only started about a month ago.

So far, this is what I did/checked:
  • found no flaws on my tires (Pierlli scorpi 2 with just 4,000 km on it)
  • all the basic stuff like inflate/deflate tires, with/without luggage, leaning towards the tank to see if issue disappear, bolts and screws tight
  • Spokes, took the wrench and knocked on each one, every single one is as stiff as it can be (so I keep eliminating issue with spokes)
  • then I thought bearings. Took off front wheel, replaced the bearings on front (they were slightly worn but it didnt fix the problem)
  • Front tire rebalance on the machine.
  • both front and rear rims check - very very slight discrepancy on the front rim which 3 different mechanics in 3 different shops confirmed this cannot be the cause

What I haven't done and am going to check end of month on periodical maintenance at the dealer shop
  • Refitting rear wheel and rebalance rear wheel
  • Steering damper - at another dealer shop a guy pointed towards the loose seal that holds the steering damper as "too loose"
  • Forks, some inside leakage possibly
  • front stabilizer and joint bolt - found on another post saying if too stiff it can cause inbalance (but again this is 2Y old bike without previous issue)
  • I will let them to check every single spoke again
  • Tire rubber issue (4,000 km and only started recently, I happened tho to rode over a freshly laid asphalt which I then had to remove any residue and sanded off the hot tar, after some riding, no sign of anything but does that damage the tire to start wobbling)

I have to point out as well that here where I live people usually say it is running "perfectly" unless the bike is in two pieces (SE Asia). Letting them to fix this "slight" wobble, many feel it is nothing compared to their own bikes or bikes of other customers that live with this issue simply.

I hope I eliminated the accident-threatening issues and will go another 350km to the dealership. Im not by far any experienced technician so many of the posts and issues I will list down for them to check. Will report the findings.
Anything I missed?
If you haven't already, try this before you endeavor other costly trials:
1) Put bike on center stand.
2) Loosen front axle bolt and front axle grip bolts from both sides.
3) Hold handlebars centered and shove them firmly downward to compress shock absorbers. (Two or three times)
N.B.[... push handlebars straight down, if you push down/forward you risk rolling bike of center stand]
4) Finally, without swinging anything left or right, tighten your axle bolt and axle grip bolts.

This should usually get rid of your pull and wobble/vibration if it appeared suddenly after removing and installing front wheel. Hope this works for ya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts