R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty sure this is not normal behavior....this is the seal at the base of the filler and pretty clearly seems to be torn. The parts-fiche doesn't show anything that looks remotely like this (in terms of a gasket) so do I assume this is a part of the filler cap assembly that retails for nearly $250.00? Right now it's barely hanging on but I certainly can't chance it coming loose and falling into the tank.

Tks.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Searching the numbers on the picture nothing seems to come up for me.

Being rubber I would assume (like tires) the 0632 is that it was made 32nd week of 2006. As for rest of them, not sure it is a part number.

I'd call a dealer...one of the few pieces of free advice you'll get from them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well...I am going to be talking to the service manager this week....good topic for discussion. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My first thought was that perhaps it was one of those drop in "fuel socks" that some folks use when riding in areas with poor gas...but that certainly looks like some sort of rubber grommet that fits down in the neck. Looks like maybe it snugs up to the nipple on the bottom of the gas cap to keep gas in the tank and not sloshing out the cap.

Since the fiche doesn't show anything, couple of thoughts. First, check with Beemer Boneyard and see if it rings a bell with them. Second, go to a decent hardware store and I'll bet you can find some sort of rubber grommet like in the attached pic that will do the same thing. Something with a shoulder so it won't fall down into the tank. McMaster-Carr might also be worth a look... McMaster-Carr.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had exactly the same thought. I think I saw something like that in the Aerostitch catalog so I took another look....this is what came out. It looks like some kind of splash-back preventer. I have never seen anything like this on any other bike I've owned. It does not appear to be missing any pieces-like a screen that might have fallen into the tank...but I'm getting some service next week so I will show it to the shop and see what they think.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BINGO! Part number search found this:

This is apparently a part of the tank-vent/fill assembly-shown in the picture. It does look like it's just a nozzle seal to prevent splash-back. I guess onnly the dealer will know for sure.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts