R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The original rear wheel hub was not made of a subpar material it made of an aluminum alloy and IF you torqued the lugs correctly there was no issue. The problem is the ham fisted mechanic that believes that if tight is good tighter must be gooder. If you torque to 44 FT/LBS each and every time you were fine. The new on is steel and much more resilient if the bolts are over torqued.

The "something" about the fuel pump is likely they will replace the fuel pump the correct the recall. You may want to have a conversation with the dealership to see what they are going to replace and what parts they keep. Here in the good old US of A the dealer/manufacturers representative retains the parts that are replaced for proper disposal to guarantee they are not put back into service.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good morning all. Thank you for your help with my sticky throttle issue when my heated grips are on. Thanks to your suggestions and knowledge I was able to remedy the issue. Now… on to problem # 2. Still the same bike - 07’ GS1200 (28k miles). When I bought the bike from a dealer in June I was told it had never been ridden off road. This is what was said by the previous owner and from the looks of the bike I believe it. So, on my ride on a chunky dirt road with a full tank of gas my fuel gauge spontaneously dropped to zero and it began flashing that I was low or out of fuel. I’m not sure which. I then got the yellow triangle with the exclamation point lit up on the upper part of the display. Since then it has remained the same and I just track my mileage with the trip and fuel up when needed. Two other things happened at this time as well. I notice now that there is a gas smell coming from the tank area all of the time. Also, just before this happened I realized I had not completely secured and closed the gas gap completely at my last fill up. From the research I’ve done it seems like the classic fuel strip issue but I thought I would throw it out to the group for advice. Thanks very much in advance!
My fuel trips were great until I reached 95,000 miles. Never a problem with anything and then as soon as the fuel strip 'warranty' or whatever it was called expired, mine failed. Spent, I forgot how much to have it replaced. Drove and it faileld. Repaired. Drove awAY and that strip failed. Went through 3 more scenarios like that, with all failing. I finally learned that if the gage says empty, I have half a tank left. I sure like it when it worked,d howeve. Just not willing to go sit and wait on a free installation again. First strip, I paid. Others were replaced under dealer warranty. Just happy to be riding!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts