R1200GS Forum banner

Fuel injector cleaner

10K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  TCinWA 
#1 ·
First of all the bike: 2010 R1200gs cam head with 24,000 miles.

I bought the bike two years ago with only 14,000 miles on the clock. Due to UK Covid restrictions over the past year the bike has been used very little and stood for nearly four months over the winter.
I have decided to add Redex injector cleaner to a fresh tank of fuel and to see if any benefits can be noticed.

Has anyone used a similar product and if so how did it go.?

#20 ·
Agree on the use of techron. I have used it on neighbors lawn mower that wouldn't start and after putting the appropiate amount in and giving it a few pulls to get the techron into the carb, it started after soaking for 15 minutes. I typically put some into the motorcycle tanks at the beginning of the season.
Jim

#3 ·
If you believe in snake oil then "fuel treatments" are for you.

Look up the MSDS/SDS and you'll find that in overwhelming amount of instances these "elixirs" are nothing more than Naphtha, kerosene, mineral spirits or a blend of the aforementioned.

I've also been curious as to how powerful these elixirs are. Typically a 4 or 6 ounce bottle treats around 20 gallons of fuel. So 6 ounces treats 2,560 ounces of fuel. Ghat damn this stuff is more powerful than Superman. Especially after you read the SDS and find only about 1/2 the ingredients are "active" so the reality is around 2 ounces of "active ingredient/s) treat 2,560 ounces of fuel....Ho Lee Fook!

Do fuel treatments help, maybe but doubtful.

Do fuel treatments hurt, maybe but doubtful.

Are fuel treatments better at lightening your wallet than they are at treating fuel......YES!

Use a good quality top tier fuel supply don't worry about it and ride on. If the injectors are plugged or partially plugged passively cleaning them with gasoline and "cleaner" mixed at a 1280:1 ratio is like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic hoping it will sink slower. If the injectors are plugged/partially plugged mechanical cleaning is needed. There are plenty of video's on YT showing the process. If you watch them it'll be a lot more clear that passively trying to clean them is all but useless.

#4 ·
I must admit the small amount recommended does seem inadequate
Redex has been around for many years in the UK and readily available in garages and even supermarkets. It seems to have a loyal following and costs £2 for 250ml. A 20 litre bike tank needs only 50ml so no biggy on the cost front.
After posting I added 50ml and went on a 100 mile run with no ill effects, the dash readout showed 50mpg imperial (60 US) which is a couple more than normal, but that may be just within a margin of error.

#5 ·
Chev Techron (probably one of the best on the market) brand here in America, does work in many auto and motorcycle applications.
Definitely cleans fuel injectors and throttle bodies.
Careful tho...loosened contaminants can and will collect on the 02 sensor registering the Check engine light on.
Best to remove throttle bodies or injectors from the bike and clean.
02 sensors can be sensitive to foreign materials other than fuel.

#9 ·
Oh, I’m sorry I forgot to take photos of the clogged injectors, or the dirty throttle bodies...
The card board used to show injector spray patterns was tossed into the garbage, maybe you could come over and dig through my garbage and find it.
As for my records of my fuel mileage,...all on gas station receipts which upon checking, were tossed after I calculated my mileage.

Go pick someone else to bicker n fight with.....

#18 ·
My original post stated that the bike had been stood for four months, which is longer than normal for me due to Covid.
There was no problems as such but I had always been curious about Redex, it has been around since 1922, and decided a shot or two wouldn't do any harm.
What made me post was to see if other countries had a product with such a long standing following.

#14 ·
For as long as as I can remember I've always used Sea Foam when storing my bike as well as any small engine equipment I own, I also put about 8 oz in the bikes periodically threw out my riding season. Does it help anything ? I'm not sure but it makes my feel like I'm giving them a little extra love and I'm ok with that...😊

#16 ·
If the problem is the injector itself, it's not difficult to remove. I removed them and cleaned them on the ultrasonic bath for 5 minutes and dried them with gentle air pressure... I don't know if it is the right procedure, but they are still working.

Otherwise I consider the fuel treatments as the homeopathy of automobiles...

#21 ·
First of all the bike: 2010 R1200gs cam head with 24,000 miles.

I bought the bike two years ago with only 14,000 miles on the clock. Due to UK Covid restrictions over the past year the bike has been used very little and stood for nearly four months over the winter.
I have decided to add Redex injector cleaner to a fresh tank of fuel and to see if any benefits can be noticed.

Has anyone used a similar product and if so how did it go.?

#23 ·
From 6:07am Saturday morning to 3:30pm Monday afternoon I ran 45 gallons of fuel through my 2007 R1200GS. That did more to clean out the fuel system than any elixir off the shelf.

Look up the Hot Shot's MSDS and tell us what ordinary chemical it is you are WAY over paying for.

#24 ·
PerazziMx14,
Understand completely your perspective about spending WAY too much money for a product, got it. The SDS is here https://hss-cdn-lubricationspeci.ne...ATA-SHEET-Gasoline-Extreme-Rev-4-6-21-min.pdf
I have read it and have used their products. Does it mean that everyone should, nope. The question a member asked ... so as a member I responded. Crazy thing is some will pay WAY too much money to take their machine to a dealer every time there is a squeak, rattle, or even for all regular service. Thing it is about..... choices. So maybe instead of being critical about someone's perspective/opinion please do not get upset when someone is critical of you and your perspective.
Be well my fellow rider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.