1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
I'd rather be flying
236 Posts
Hey, my bike is the first on the list. I got a fuel leak on the quick disconnect at the fuel pump. It was there for a few days before I finally figured it out. I constantly smelled gasoline but assumed it was from someone else. It wasn't until a few days into it when I refueled the bike. The smell got stronger and filled my garage. I now knew that it was my bike. Immediately after removing the plastics, I found the gasoline leaking out of the fuel pump at the plastic quick-disconnect. I first assumed that it was the o-ring but as I removed the fitting, it broke apart and left a piece still inside the fuel pump housing. It was immediately apparent that the fitting was cracked. I had never removed it in the 6 years that I have owned the bike. There was no improper maintenance that caused the fitting to break. And in the time that it took for me to order and receive replacement parts, the bike was down longer than any other time that I've owned her. I replaced the fittings with stainless steel quick-disconnects that I purchased from Beemer Boneyard.

In my opinion, these quick-disconnects should never have been made of plastic. On a high-end motorcycle such as these, they should have spent the extra $3 to make them out of rust-free metal. Still, I love my bike. Any flaws that she has will be fixed by me regardless of the claims made by BMW. She is the best motorcycle that I have ever owned and I would be proud if she was with me for the duration of my life.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do you know if that's world wide or just America? Will we be contacted or do we have to be proactive? I'm in the UK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you know if that's world wide or just America? Will we be contacted or do we have to be proactive? I'm in the UK.
I'm not certain, but there may be a similar regulatory agency in the UK that is looking at this, or I would contact my dealer or BMW UK. This has been going on for years and obviously impacts lots of bikes. I love my bike but it is expensive to maintain and BMW is stubborn about admitting things like this (the abs has failed and had to be rebuilt, the tpm failed and had to be fixed and one day it just stopped running at 70 MPH on a highway due to a dead battery--towed home 60 miles). My fuel flange was already repaired under extended, third party, warranty and the symptoms were the smell of gas in my garage (much like AdamWebber above). Some have reported spewing fuel onto hot engine parts or soaked pant legs as a result of this flaw. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM448315/RCAK-13V617-1263.pdf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts