R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any guidance would be much appreciated.

I have 2009 R1200GS Adv; replaced the fuel pump twice; and Electronic module on the top of the pump. The one much has been written about and by pass referenced.

I have used the GS911 to reset the virtual fuse???? a number of times. I have connected the old fuel pump without installing it; with no luck. The old pump will run on the bench.

When key is turned, the whine of the pump priming cannot be heard.

Thanks,
E. Godbey

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
There are several things that this could be to start at the simplest:
If you have a multi-meter check for voltage at the fuel controller or jump the fuel pump controller with the pump installed on the bike and also make certain that you have a strong battery is in perfect operating condition, batteries that are not 100% can cause a myriad of electrical issues on these bikes.
If no voltage to the fuel controller check the wiring for damage.
If that all checks out but no voltage than I would put my money on a faulty BMSK.

·
Greg
35 Posts
Seems very familiar.

Sounds like it may be the same as my fault.
Check as JetSpeed says, then you could;
Unplug the power lead to the fuel pump controller.
There are 3 wires, earth, power and pulses.
Measure across the power wires, ignore the pulse wire.
When you first turn the key on, you should measure 12v for the prime time. Wait several minutes before turning the key on again as the DME has a time delay between priming times.
If you dont see 12v, remove the DME, heat it to 60 Celsius for 30 min, plug it back in and try to start the bike.
If the bike starts, you have dry joint under the processor in the DME.
You can try to re-solder it, good luck.
Or do as I did and change the DME, with a used one.

·
Greg
35 Posts
Another simple test

Forgot to mention this test.
The GS911 lets you do a fuel pump test, simple to do.
If this fuel pump test works, (it switches the pump on and off a few times), this shows the pump driver circuit in the DME is ok.
But if the initial prime does not work, this shows there could be an internal fault in the DME, provided you are not getting any error codes.
If you are getting error codes (do a full system check with the 911), sort these out first, as they may be the cause.
A squirt of "start ya bastard" or Aerostart into each throttle body (2-3 second squirt), then crank and give it throttle as soon as it fires.
If it runs then, possible BME fault.
Try some of these and see where you get.
Need another BMSK, I may be able to set one up for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a 2004 R1200GS in the garage, Which i stripped to repair some rust and improve its overall appearance.

However, after re assembly, i cannot Get the bike started, subsequently tracing that the fuel pump does not work.

Two questions.

1. The alarm, does it isolate the fuel pump from starting?

2. Fuel pump removed, wired directly to battery, only a slight, hardly audiable tick. Suggesting the pump is dead.
However, i also didn't measure any voltage across the FPC power cables with ignition on.

I'm hoping to figure out where the problem actually exists, as BMW quoted me $1400 for FPC, and 10 week wait time, and On the conversation alone, I'm Not Not committed to taking It in to a shop for cost inhibitive reasons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank You Krons,

I might have to order online. The crap thing is the wait time these days. BMW told me possibly 10+weeks, and some O/S shipments I've had, have been approx. 5 weeks.

Looks like the bike will sit in parts for the time being until i resolve this.

I'll keep you all posted if I discover anything

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
Thank You Krons,

I might have to order online. The crap thing is the wait time these days. BMW told me possibly 10+weeks, and some O/S shipments I've had, have been approx. 5 weeks.

Looks like the bike will sit in parts for the time being until i resolve this.

I'll keep you all posted if I discover anything
Sounds like a reason to own a second bike. Personally I'd go at least 200 lbs/90 kilos lighter. ;)
20200726_162202.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love the way you think.
I have an 10' S1kRR, and an old NC30VFR Which needs work too but will likely never get it, so I've started itemising it for part out.

Which do you prefer to ride?

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
Love the way you think.
I have an 10' S1kRR, and an old NC30VFR Which needs work too but will likely never get it, so I've started itemising it for part out.

Which do you prefer to ride?
It's a tough call, like choosing between two children! I will say though if I had to go with one bike it would be :eek: the DR650.

The GSA is fantastic on the 4-lane and so good in the twisties, but....that 200 pounds can wear you out in the technical stuff. It can do it but it is so much more fun on a 350 pound bike.

There is something about the simplicity of the DR, a really pure motorcycle experience. It is decent on the highway (below 70 mph), great on gravel and when I do dump it easy to pick up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is completely understandable.

The lighter and simpler the ride, the easier it is to enjoy.

I still haven't had a chance to take the GS for a ride. My S1KRR is a very different bike I am sure. The power is really something, and I always feel humbled by it, where I have ridden the road going version of the GS, and it behaves very differently.
I like the idea that the GS is so heavy and planted, and that there are heated grips :)

Now to sort this damn pump out. The current situation is making it hard to resolve shipping anywhere in the world.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts