R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

2013 BMW GS Adventure

I let my bike sit for longer than I care to identify (maybe ~10 months?) and now it won't start.
Cranks hard, won't start.

Plenty of juice - it's a new battery.

I got a canbus reader and Motoscan app, read the codes.

After weeks of poking at it without a reader, it started out reading these codes:

2849 = exhaust-flow control valve servomotor
28cb = Fuse for electric fuel pump activated

I cleared them, attempted a start again for fresh information, ended up with only the 0x28cb code.

Based on reading online this seemed to point to either the fuel pump controller or the pump itself making the controller upset.

Opened up the bike, the controller doesn't seem corroded per some reports.

Got the fuel pump bypass cable and tried running the pump directly in both directions.

Doesn't seem to have had any effect - starting the bike with the fuel pump bypass cable results in the same non-start.

The tailpipes smell of gas when trying to repeatedly start it but I don't hear the pump running. Should I be able to hear it?

Edit: The tank has about 3 gallons in it and SeaFoam that was recently added, not at the beginning of storage.

Any other ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Putting fuel treatment into the fuel now will not revive it. Get a cheap kerosene transfer pump and suck out the old fuel. Add in a gallon or two of fresh fuel and give it another go. If it starts you can add a quart or so of the old fuel back into the tank each fill-up to get it used up. Or dump it in you car/truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update for everyone / archives:

Tried running the pump a few more times, even with brand new 12V battery. No luck.

Replaced the plugs. Bought the coil multi tool that comes in two pieces from the vendor in Montana. Nice stuff but ultimately didn't fix it.

Dealer diagnosed it as failed pump, controller OK. Replaced it and told me to ride it instead of letting it sit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts