R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always ridden with a full face helmet, but it is time to replace my current lid. I have always wanted a Schuberth. I am contemplating either a Schuberth full face or a C3 or C4, What is the head shape of a Schuberth? Is the difference in weight of a modular worth it?

·
Registered
655 Posts
I believe the Shuberth is oval shaped? I dont recommend the C4, tried it and it seemed huge. C3 is better, I'm on my second one. I prefer modular because I can keep the helmet on and still have a conversation or drink some water if neccessary.

·
Reprobate
137 Posts
I'd call it more of an intermediate oval, rounder than some but more oval than others. I am just about to retire my tired old C3. Tried the C3 Pro and C4 Pro. Found them both very comfortable but went with the E1 as that beak really comes in handy when riding into the rising or setting sun. Helmet type is a very personal choice, but I prefer modulars as they let me take a quick bite or drink, talk to people, and to tell my dog what a great boy he is without removing the helmet.

·
Super Moderator
705 Posts
I'd call it more of an intermediate oval, rounder than some but more oval than others. I am just about to retire my tired old C3. Tried the C3 Pro and C4 Pro. Found them both very comfortable but went with the E1 as that beak really comes in handy when riding into the rising or setting sun. Helmet type is a very personal choice, but I prefer modulars as they let me take a quick bite or drink, talk to people, and to tell my dog what a great boy he is without removing the helmet.

View attachment 27398

Love that photo!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have always ridden with a full face helmet, but it is time to replace my current lid. I have always wanted a Schuberth. I am contemplating either a Schuberth full face or a C3 or C4, What is the head shape of a Schuberth? Is the difference in weight of a modular worth it?
Havent worn a full face in a long time now.......moved to first a Shoei Neotec, then Neotec II, C3 Pro and now a C4 Pro.
The C3 Pro and C4 Pro have been the best so far.....compared to the Shoeis they vent less but for me they are quieter and have more vision due to the large visor. I ordered mine from Champion Helmets.......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Schuberth C3 Pro, worth every penny. Best helmet I've ever had, I've had my C3 Pro for 5 years now. The E1 is a real nice helmet also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The C3 I had was great. Comfortable and quiet. Had it for 9 years. I replaced it this year only because it is older. I got an AGV sportmoduler and I like it better because of weight and aerodynamics. I’m on the rounder side of intermediate oval.

·
Super Awesom Person
563 Posts
The Shoei Neotec II is the first modular helmet I've owned. I didn't buy it because it was modular. I bought it because it fit me very well. I rarely open it up so for me the modular part is irrelevant. It's the most comfortable helmet I've owned in my 53 years of riding.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Get the Schuberth E1. The adjustable (and removable) peak works great when riding into the sun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you wear glasses, a modular is great. I can barely get them on with a full-face. Other good reasons mentioned above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using the C3 for the last 5 years the C 3 Pro is a much better helmet Than the C 3 or 4 in my opinion
john

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I switched from sport bikes to adventure bikes I also switched to a modular helmet. Would never go back to full face. Biggest differences I've noticed is how much easier it is to see what I am doing at the gas pump and other stops and easier to put on my glasses. I wear a Shoei Neotec. Schuberth felt much less plush and (for my head) it had pressure points. If I were in the market for new helmet I would look at Shoei Neotec II, of course, but I would also like to try a Touratech Aventuro Traveller. I also tried the Klim T1200, which is nice and light but did not seem in the same class as the Neotec, and I much prefer a flip-down tinted sun visor to having to use a Transitions faceshield. The flip-down sun visor is something I can't live without any more (especially convenient when you wear glasses).

·
Registered
13 Posts
All the points so far are good. I have had a C3, C3 Pro, and now an E1. I have loved all of them, yet each has evolved better than its predecessor. Yes, those are all Schuberths, because that is the brand that best fits my head, and fit should be the singular criterion for choosing one apple versus another apple. Compare modulars to modulars, but not to open face or full face or jet style -- that is not a reasonable comparison.

Modulars are great in my book for the aforementioned reasons, to which I will add another that I believe is worthwhile: On one hand, it is clearly less safe to ride with the visor up in open-face mode, but after 30+ years of motorcycling on streets and roads, I have had my fair share of close calls, including the ever-popular "I swear to God that joker looked right at me and THEN turned in front of me as if I wasn't even there." It is proven that the city streets and roads with speed limits of 35mph and less are the most dangerous place for motorcyclists -- more motorcyclists die on those roads than any others. The main reason being that city streets are criss-crossed and intersected with driveways and cross streets all over the place, and that is "uncontrolled traffic." Freeways, despite the much higher speed limits, are much safer places for motorcyclists because everyone is moving at more or less the same speed and all are going in the same direction.

I have found that on city streets, driving with my visor up, the cars look at ME, not some illusionary ghost rider, but they actually eye-fix on me and my eyes, they SEE me. Maybe it's the bizzaro head form, or maybe it's that human brains are evolved to recognize faces especially via the eyes, but whatever, I get seen around town with my visor up and despite the fact that if I am in a collision, the exposed face will likely kill me, my feeling is that being seen obviates the getting hit part and I am therefore safer with it up. Needless to say, as the traffic speeds increase, at around 35mph - 40mph, I snap my visor down, and this seems to be the zone where my stop times/distances just aren't good enough to offset the risk.

Safety of modulars is another concern for some riders. There are no modulars with a Snell rating, and that is because Snell will not rate modulars. This doesn't mean that the EC or DOT ratings are inadequate, they are sufficient, it just means that Snell is a race standard, not a casual or recreational standard, and as such probably isn't really properly applicable to street-legal speeds and therefore crashes. This is a huge opinion sinkhole, so let's just leave the Snell vs. DOT rating topic alone, I merely mentioned it so that you understand why you can't find a Snell rated modular; it does not mean that modulars are not safe for your use. To confirm this point, I will share that I got hit by a car whilst commuting to work one morning; I was on the freeway in rush hour traffic doing about 60mph.

The bike and I both somersaulted, I landed on my forehead at 60+mph (the high-side accelerated me), I was knocked unconscious for several minutes, but woke up and walked away from the accident. A CT scan confirmed that I had a concussion, but no visible brain damage; I did have a month-long headache, but I seem to be okay thanks to my Schuberth C3 Pro and Motoport Ultra-mesh suit. The chin bar did not pop open, it stayed shut and properly and easily released just the way it's supposed to; the uni-directional scratch pattern on the bi-directionally curved visor and main shell indicates that the point of impact flattened out and then snapped back! Helmet technology is pretty impressive.

A positive safety attribute of modulars is that if one is unconscious or not, emergency personnel can open the chin bar and administer breathing or other aid without removing the helmet and endangering the neck. Another important safety feature of the chin bar in the up position is that I can scream at the cars, and no joke, the human voice in moving traffic really gets their attention -- I routinely yell and make drivers visibly jump in their seats while driving. :devilish:(y)(y)

·
Registered
792 Posts
both Schuberths and Shoei Neotecs fit me close to equally well, so I guess I have a Neotec and a Schuberth head. I wear glasses. The Schuberth was a bit tighter. One of the things taht pushed me toward the Neotec was that the visor did not have a ratchet edge like the Sch did. I thought the Neotec would provide more flexibility in positioning the visor partly open, over the fixed stops of the Sch. After a couple of years riding with the Neotec, I realize that is NOT a big issue at all.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Between the Neotec II and Schuberth C4 Pro......the C4P is quieter and more field of vision
The neotec II vents much better but is slightly more noisy.
I fit into a Large Shoei and an XL Schuberth

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was knocked off my 2018 1200GSA a week ago last Sunday.

Woman just drive into the side of me at a roundabout. She didn't even look.

Anyhow... Bike is totalled. I am OK apart from bruising etc and friction burns through my clothing. I was wearing a Nolan modular helmet. I chose Nolan as in the British "Sharp" tests it was virtually the only one that stayed closed in all tests.

On impacting the road, my Nolan opened and my face was severely gravel rashed.

Nearly 2 weeks later my face has healed. It appears the friction sliding along the road wore the catch away.

My Ray Bans took a lot of the road slide impact and I am thankful for that.

Tried on a full face helmet today and I find it too claustrophobic... I come from a trail bike background riding in the 70s where I always wore a Bell Magnum open face.

Swore I would never go modular again, but now looking at BMW/Schubert modular.

Any thoughts from the assembled multitude would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
698 Posts

Anyhow... Bike is totalled. I am OK apart from bruising etc and friction burns through my clothing. I was wearing a Nolan modular helmet. I chose Nolan as in the British "Sharp" tests it was virtually the only one that stayed closed in all tests.

Nearly 2 weeks later my face has healed. It appears the friction sliding along the road wore the catch away.

Tried on a full face helmet today and I find it too claustrophobic... I come from a trail bike background riding in the 70s where I always wore a Bell Magnum open face.

The Shoeis and Schuberths are top notch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the AGV sportmodular, it replaced a Schuberth C3. I love the weight, aerodynamics, and venting. The quality is on par with the best competitors, although I haven’t ever yet had to give a helmet the ultimate test. I like that the chin bar Is held down with a metal latch vs. many others using plastic. It’s worth looking into as Revzilla has them on sale.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Glad to hear your okay other than some road rash.

I'm replacing my 3 yr old Arai XD4 as I miss the ability to smoke, drink or eat without removing the helmet.

I looked at the BMW/Schuberts and elected instead to go with the Touratech Aventuro Traveller Carbon
Aventuro Traveller Carbon, Pacific | Touratech Canada

They are made by NEXX and similar to the Vilijord line but to Touratech specifications.

The BMW and Schuberts were heavier, and had their share of complaints such as the visor blowing off, 2 shell sizes, noisy, too hot, limited to their outdated bluetooth system, etc

I haven't been able to find a review for the Traveller, and being a new design I'm sure there will be issues. One thing that attracted me was the cut-out for mounting a bluetooth headset module. Supposedly it fits like an Arai, intermediate oval and they vents appear to be very large.

I'm expecting it in 5 days and will review it then.
brian

1 - 20 of 27 Posts